2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Fit owner...looking for some insight

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:11 AM
New Fit owner...looking for some insight

Hey everyone,

Just got the TW manual sport w/ navi today. Was kind of a impulse buy but I live in SoCal and figured the tax rate was going up to 9.25 in a few days. Also wasn't expecting any dealers to have this setup so when I got called by a local dealer that they had it in stock, I had to get it. Went from a silvia converted 90' 240sx so its def. a chnage.

Just had 3 questions for all you fellow manaul driving fit folks.

-is it me or is the clutch really short and kind of light.
-do the brakes on your car feel like it takes some extra pressure to actually stop the car? I'm thinking its because of it being new.
-anyone else feel like you're sitting kind of high in the car?

sitting at 45 miles atm lol...I still can't figure out where to drive to because I work in downtown M-F and take the bus to work.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
I'm guessing its an 09? Ive never sat in one but my 07 definately has a high seating position... its just.. how it is.
I can't really comment on the clutch of brakes in the 09 but I'm sure someone is bound to post something useful sooner or later =P
Oh and Welcome to FitFreak!!!

Old 03-30-2009, 03:00 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
I agree with all your points They dont necessarily bother me though.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:23 AM
I don't have manual, but any other car I've driven, s2000, 2009 Civic SI, 2008 GTI, all have really light clutches compared to my Integra GSR w/ Exedy Stage1 w/ racing flywheel.

I also agree the brakes suck. Always feels like their slipping a little and extra pressure is needed to hold it in place.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:43 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by razcalz
Hey everyone,

Just got the TW manual sport w/ navi today. Was kind of a impulse buy but I live in SoCal and figured the tax rate was going up to 9.25 in a few days. Also wasn't expecting any dealers to have this setup so when I got called by a local dealer that they had it in stock, I had to get it. Went from a silvia converted 90' 240sx so its def. a chnage.

Just had 3 questions for all you fellow manaul driving fit folks.

-is it me or is the clutch really short and kind of light.
-do the brakes on your car feel like it takes some extra pressure to actually stop the car? I'm thinking its because of it being new.
-anyone else feel like you're sitting kind of high in the car?

sitting at 45 miles atm lol...I still can't figure out where to drive to because I work in downtown M-F and take the bus to work.
I think I have read those comments a few times from other people. I LOVE the higher seating position. I cannot stand "falling" into a car. And I'm a woman, and it's not very flattering to struggle to get out of a car when wearing a skirt and heels. It's even less flattering to fall into a car and maybe rip out a skirt in the process. Or crack the back of the skull on the roof line on the way down when trying to be lady-like.

I have an automatic, but when I was reading the opinions of those with the manual, they were saying it was a breeze to shift. Not heavy at all.

The brakes were mentioned in Consumer Reports, I think, as having a longer stopping distance. But this isn't a race car, so hopefully no one needs to stop on a dime.

No need for you to rush out and put thousands of miles on the car. Resale value will be higher with lower miles. And you can keep the car a lot longer if the car hasn't been driven into the ground. It's a win/win situation if you don't NEED to drive a lot.

I bought my car in December and still don't have 500 miles on it. Ha!

Old 03-30-2009, 05:54 AM
5 Year Member
It is a quirky kinda car when you first get it, the clutch is very light and the brakes are different too. You'll get used to it quickly. Seating position, I never thought the GD3 sat that high, I did sit in a GE8 though and I felt like I was sitting in an SUV. Maybe it was just how the seat was positioned since I didn't adjust it.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
The clutch travel is actually long, relatively. It depends what you're used to, but there's your hint...you get used to whatever you're driving. But yes the clutch and all the controls on the Fit are generally intentionally designed to be light. Thank God the steering isn't too light.

The seating position is also something you'll acclimate to in about oh, 2 days. Nothing wrong with it. In fact, when I sit and ride in a lower car now, it feels awkward to me.

The brakes need more effort and the stopping distances are bad. Even while parking your car if you hit the brakes hard it doesn't stop right away, which to me is a significant safety issue.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:57 AM
Thanks for all the info and welcomes everyone! I'll see you guys around the forums.

I just sold my 240sx today...posted it yesterday, and it sold today...probably due to the dirt cheap price I had it at but I was just glad to get rid of it. You're all right about getting used to the car seat thing...I sat in my 240sx today after not driving it for 2 days and i felt like I was sleeping inside the car. Felt like i was driving a low rider lol