2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by connor55
With different people having their rear wipers set at different angles, I'm wondering cutriss if your wiper actually goes all the way down when you use it(to it's original position). Others have their wiper pointing straight up and I'm curious also if theirs goes past the bottom of the window. Mines set at where it would originally be in it's fully upright position, so that when I use it now it doesn't go past the bottom of my window. Guess there's a mechanism in place to tell it where to stop turning?
It doesn't return all the way to horizontal, no, but then it doesn't really need to.

If you look at the DIY, it all makes sense. The wiper has a specific arc of motion available to it that's about 120 degrees. The mod has two parts to it - Reversing which end the wiper stops at, and optionally, repositioning the entire arc of motion.

Pretend you could manually manipulate the gear while the wiper is still attached and on the door. The motor rotates that gear, which acts as a cam moving the lever back and forth along a fixed path. The rotation at the end of the lever is what actually makes the wiper itself move. The motor returns to a neutral position by default which causes the lever to rotate the wiper down. All you're doing is swapping the initial position so that the motor is still doing a full gear rotation, which instead of moving the wiper up, then down, makes it move down, then up.

When you unbolt the wiper, you're just changing the start/stop locations of that arc, rotating it about the end of that lever, so however much I rotate it clockwise, the "top" position of the wiper motor is rotated equivalently. I'm not changing the range of motion, just rotating it.

I like it where it is because it's not just unique, but also the wiper disappears behind one of the passenger headrests in that position, so it's still largely invisible. Theoretically it may have actually *improved* my field of view through the rearview mirror, though it's minimal and in practice the added visibility is not in a useful location.

Last edited by Cutriss; 08-06-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 PM
I need that a&j carbon piece in my life. I was in contact with them about that piece but they could never give me straight answers to my questions. Does look good tho curtiss

Old 08-06-2013, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cutriss
Had a few minutes last night, so I popped off my shifter knob and put on the carbon fiber shifter panel.

Looks great. Ae you going to change the shift knob too?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by kudakev615
I need that a&j carbon piece in my life. I was in contact with them about that piece but they could never give me straight answers to my questions. Does look good tho curtiss
Huh, I didn't have any trouble with them at all. Did you try to call them?

Originally Posted by FormulaJDM
Looks great. Ae you going to change the shift knob too?
I have the OEM Leather knob, which has blue stitching. Since the car is blue, I prefer that one to the Mugen knob. I'm not aware of any other A/T shifter replacements, but if you have some ideas, feel free to share!

Old 08-07-2013, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
I have the OEM Leather knob, which has blue stitching. Since the car is blue, I prefer that one to the Mugen knob. I'm not aware of any other A/T shifter replacements, but if you have some ideas, feel free to share!
Hi Cutriss,

I change my AT Shift Knob to CR-Z Shift Knob (and later sold my standard Fit Shift Knob to a CR-Z owner)
done it when my car just have 1007 miles on the odometer

Here are my DIY:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...hift-knob.html

and here are the pictures:

Name:  DSC05953_zpsdcd4ba6b.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  99.6 KB

Old 08-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
I change my AT Shift Knob to CR-Z Shift Knob (and later sold my standard Fit Shift Knob to a CR-Z owner)
Huh. Interesting. I think I still like the blue-stitched one better, but now I regret having thrown out my old knob, I'd have saved it if I had known it might've been useful for someone!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
CR-Z knob is an interesting option. I'm going to attend the Tokyo Auto Salon in January and look for more options.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Got the Continental DW's installed today. First impression-" gee these have stiff sidewalls". Then I checked the tire pressures......
Installer did not reset the pressures after installing, pressures were btwn 37-39psi. Reset to 33psi, feels much better!

Old 08-07-2013, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by onefreshfit

new wheels (to me) for 280$$ and a full tank of gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking Fresh!!!!

Old 08-07-2013, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Borla?

Originally Posted by deranged
Today I put new 2 1/4 inch piping all the way from the intake to the back with a borla exhaust and magnaflow tip. Looks and sounds amazing. Sorry no pictures. Also had a nail removed from the back tire and washed it.
Which BORLA did ya buy and now that you've had it for a while.....what do ya think?

Old 08-08-2013, 01:03 AM
I bought it a new playmate:

Name:  Miata2_zpsbfab931b.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  44.3 KB

It's a 1990 with a 1994 1.8L swap.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Codger01
Got the Continental DW's installed today. First impression-" gee these have stiff sidewalls". Then I checked the tire pressures......
Installer did not reset the pressures after installing, pressures were btwn 37-39psi. Reset to 33psi, feels much better!
Have you tried about 35 psi?

Old 08-08-2013, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ill_eagle94
I bought it a new playmate:

It's a 1990 with a 1994 1.8L swap.

Body looks good I have a 95 Miata with 68k miles all original do not drive it much in the past two years does not come out in the rain and is stored from October to May. This year came out of storage over the 4th of July weekend. Have fun lots of aftermarket parts.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Have you tried about 35 psi?
I kept the Yokohamas at 35,added a couple of psi this morning to bring them up to that. So far, so good. Getting them scrubbed in and the release compounds worn off, so the grip will get better.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:06 AM
Administrator
Had a few minutes last night, so I popped off my shifter knob and put on the carbon fiber shifter panel.
Looks good, link for curiousity sake?

Originally Posted by Codger01
Give it some time, did you check the pressure first thing in the morning?

You need to allow the tires to wear in and the handling and ride quality should improve

Old 08-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Waizzz
Looks good, link for curiousity sake?
There isn't one, A&J don't have it listed on the online store any longer. I originally saw it in this thread, so I contacted Jason by email and he told me they still had one. There may be more.

I put on my CF inserts last night since they came in, pics are on my phone so I'll update here later.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:33 PM
what is being done today...

Old 08-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Administrator
^That's cool

Gives me some ideas for down the road to fix some of my scratched panels

There isn't one, A&J don't have it listed on the online store any longer. I originally saw it in this thread, so I contacted Jason by email and he told me they still had one. There may be more.

I put on my CF inserts last night since they came in, pics are on my phone so I'll update here later.
Ok cool, good to know thanks for the info

Old 08-10-2013, 03:48 AM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
what is being done today...

wicked

please post how it looks on the fit

Old 08-10-2013, 07:51 AM
To each his own.

I've never been a fan of wood paneling except in some specific circumstances, but as long as you like it that's what's important.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?