2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

North Dallas 2009 Fit Sport checking in. Subs installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:18 PM
North Dallas 2009 Fit Sport checking in. Subs installed

My name is Jesse. I live in Flower Mound, Texas and have owned a Fit for about 3 weeks now.

My first project was to put some subwoofers into it. I searched the internet and came across this thread:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...l-my-08-a.html
Which is what brought me here. I decided to follow in his steps but still make it my own.

I installed 2, 10" 300w Kenwood Subs powered by 1, 500w Mono Alpine Amp.
I'm not going for sound competitions or anything, just wanted a really full sound and something that I could feel while driving.

Here are some images:

I used cardboard to get the contour of the Fit's hatchback lip. I used it to cut into some 3/4" mdf. This is it sitting on the lip:

Next up was to cut all the panels. I did a ton of measuring for this to ensure I got everything right.

Up next was cutting the two holes the subs would be suspended in. I had to cut three since I messed up one. I only had a jigsaw and poor lighting in my garage.

After that, I began to assemble the boxes. I put a screw about every 4 inches or so and used silicone to seal the boxes as airtight as I could.

Both done:

I went to Autozone and bought 2 rolls of black replacement carpet. I used this to cover the enclosures. I bought some 3M spray tack and a staple gun for this part.

Here they are done:

decided to mount the amp between the subs on a slide out surface. I stole the keyboard track from an old desk of mine. This way I can still have access to the controls on the side.

Here's the idea:

This is it on the back of my Fit:

I didn't get pics of the wiring process because I forgot my memory stick when we were doing it.

The subs get their signal from the rear passenger side speaker. We ran the power supply up the driver side, through the passenger firewall, and to the car battery. The remote switch is tapped into a wire connected to the fuse box that comes on with the key and goes out after it's removed.

The subs sound fantastic! They point down and bounce off the floor. The amp is hidden well too. So looking into the back of my car, you can't see anything. Right now the subs are underpowered. We wired them up at 8 ohms because that's all we could do at the time. We're going to wire them up to 2 ohms and then use resisters to bring them down to 4 ohms. That's the recommended ohms for the subs.

The whole setup is removable. Just unplug the wires and take it all out. This way I don't lose cargo space if I really need it.

Also, the amp shelf is a bit loose, so I'm going to buy new railing for it so it doesn't slide around while driving. It didn't at first, but the added weight of the amp made it start sliding. I'll fix that soon.

Also, I'm going to try and fancy up the box. It's a little plain right now and I'd like to add some detailing to it. I want to add some molding to cover up my bad upholstery job.

For my first box ever and my lack of good tools, I'd say I did a great job. this is my first, but not my last. I already have ideas for my next box.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
nice work,

however imho, you defeat the purpose of what the car was made to hold. unless you remove the subs each time.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:20 PM
I agree! You did great given all your conditions! Honestly I doubt I would have the patience to do that kind of work. I want to hear what it sounds like

Old 05-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by mole177
nice work,

however imho, you defeat the purpose of what the car was made to hold. unless you remove the subs each time.
This is why I did it the way I did it. The whole thing comes out easily if I need storage space.

That being said, it's rare that I ever need more room than my back seat can hold. Usually it's just some grocery bags, and even then, I still have about 8 inches of clearance under the subs and a foot under the amp.

If I ever need to haul something, I have a truck for that.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Texas Props! I'm downtown Dallas with a black FiT also (base). Rock out

Old 05-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Nice work! I'm down the street from you in The Colony representing TX Fits!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:04 PM
hmm can those lips support that? would love to hear it though.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:37 AM
Texas Fits represent!

@ken: It's been in for a week and no sign of weakness in the design. It's still very sturdy.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 AM
nice install
i like that idea
i like the sliding amp too
i throw in some leds too in there for show, might not be your style but i like some interior lightning =)
check out my install here if you have a chance
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ingle-din.html

Old 05-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by 713_fit
nice install
i like that idea
i like the sliding amp too
i throw in some leds too in there for show, might not be your style but i like some interior lightning =)
check out my install here if you have a chance
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ingle-din.html
Heck yeah I want lights!

I'm looking at making the box look good next. I'm going to art it up with some industrial design.

I'll check out your install as soon as I get back from lunch!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
whoo!! i'm in frisco. white sport checkin' in!! i agree though about losin the space in the trunk, but props for ingenuity.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:26 AM
Thumbs up

well i don't see my self having something like that an my ride but man!!! u did a great job cool! by the why is nice to know that is other Fit bros in dallas am from Ennis about 30 min down I45

Old 05-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by skankerzero
Heck yeah I want lights!

I'm looking at making the box look good next. I'm going to art it up with some industrial design.

I'll check out your install as soon as I get back from lunch!
man i shoulda made a cargo cover my self....like yours..woulda saved tons of money...lol..i really loving this idea
good job again!

post up pictures of the lights when you get it!
im stil thinking of where to put mines..not quite sure yet