2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Oil level dropping fast

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 03:13 PM
well i had my oil change done and well not one drop of oil was missing and my fit has been to the governor many times (115MPH) so i dont know what to tell you bro. sorry about your luck.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
I have no oil consumption after 60K miles. I take the Fit to the redline many times daily. I did follow the break in procedure of going easy on it for the first 600 miles. Did you people who have oil consumption problems follow the break in procedure or just run it hard from the start?

Old 07-04-2009, 05:20 PM
i never did the break in crap if its going to break its going to break

Old 07-04-2009, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blackout
i never did the break in crap if its going to break its going to break
You claim to have no oil consumption problem. The question was to those who are having oil consumption problems.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Codger01
Today was Wash Day, when I also check over the car for any issues. Just hit 5k (miles) and the oil was down just under a qt. Maintenance Minder says I have 60% of oil life left. This is the first car (out of the last 3- a Toyota & 2 Mazdas) that I have had any consumption at all. I will be watching this....

Personally. no matter what Honda dealer says this is a defective engine to lose nearly a quart in 5000 miles unless its a leak somewhere and a full inspection is needed.
Have you tried parking over spread newspapers to see if its leaking?
. Are you sure it was full initially?

Old 07-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Personally. no matter what Honda dealer says this is a defective engine to lose nearly a quart in 5000 miles unless its a leak somewhere and a full inspection is needed.
FWIW, most dealers and manufacturers don't consider oil consumption to be excessive until it exceeds 1 quart per 1000 miles. Yes, I agree this is excessive, and I've never had a new car that remotely approached this level (or even an older one, for that matter).

Old 07-04-2009, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
I checked levels a couple of times since I picked it up in April, levels were "normal"
No spots on the garage floor, so no leakage. I'm going to keep monitoring it for now, see if I lose anything from my top up.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Codger01
I checked levels a couple of times since I picked it up in April, levels were "normal"
No spots on the garage floor, so no leakage. I'm going to keep monitoring it for now, see if I lose anything from my top up.

I forgot to ask if you see blue exhaust on throttle overrun, that is, when you slow down with the throttle closed? If you do, the engine is passing oil past the rings, if not, the inspection becomes more critical such as leakage past the oil pan gasket or other lines that only are in use during engine operation. Leakage past the oil pan only really happens on cornering, for example.
And don't just go tightening the pan bolts, they need to be done in order with careful attention to torque values.

As for the old 1 qt per 1000 miles that was applicable 25 years ago but not today with modern piston ring technology. Any builder tolerating even 1 qt per5000 miles would be laughed at. While it happens, as we can attest, the reason was always a mistake in assembly or bad ring (cracked or broken).

Last edited by mahout; 07-05-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:19 AM
I forgot to ask if you see blue exhaust on throttle overrun, that is, when you slow down with the throttle closed? If you do, the engine is passing oil past the rings, if not, the inspection becomes more critical such as leakage past the oil pan gasket or other lines that only are in use during engine operation. Leakage past the oil pan only really happens on cornering, for example.
And don't just go tightening the pan bolts, they need to be done in order with careful attention to torque values.

As for the old 1 qt per 1000 miles that was applicable 25 years ago but not today with modern piston ring technology. Any builder tolerating even 1 qt per5000 miles would be laughed at. While it happens, as we can attest, the reason was always a mistake in assembly or bad ring (cracked or broken).
Usually, oil smoke only on overrun is due to bad valve seals and/or guides. High intake manifold under closed throttle conditions pulls oil past worn guides/seals and into the intake. If you have worn/cracked/broken rings, or improperly seated rings, you'll get oil smoke not only on overrun, but on part and full load, and often on startup as oil will pool in the cylinder.

I completely agree with you that the 1 qt per 1000 miles criteria is dated and shouldn't apply to modern engines. That said, do a Google search on "normal oil consumption" and you'll see gobs of references on modern engines that cite this criteria. Fact is that anyone with consumption of 1 quart per 5000 miles will find the dealer not willing to do anything about it. I suggest going on record with it so that if consumption increases dramatically, you'll have shown that the problem was there from the start.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pbanders
Usually, oil smoke only on overrun is due to bad valve seals and/or guides. High intake manifold under closed throttle conditions pulls oil past worn guides/seals and into the intake. If you have worn/cracked/broken rings, or improperly seated rings, you'll get oil smoke not only on overrun, but on part and full load, and often on startup as oil will pool in the cylinder.

I completely agree with you that the 1 qt per 1000 miles criteria is dated and shouldn't apply to modern engines. That said, do a Google search on "normal oil consumption" and you'll see gobs of references on modern engines that cite this criteria. Fact is that anyone with consumption of 1 quart per 5000 miles will find the dealer not willing to do anything about it. I suggest going on record with it so that if consumption increases dramatically, you'll have shown that the problem was there from the start.

Quite correct. Thanks.
valve guide seals are more prevalent oil leakers. The intent was to see where oil loss is occurring. It indeed there is blue exhaust on over run Honda should warranty repair, even if its a new engine.
Our experience has been that oil loss on a newly built engine more likely resulted from misinstalled rings than seals. Seals are easier to do.
In the long run seals fail much quicker than rings. cheers

Old 07-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Quite correct. Thanks.
valve guide seals are more prevalent oil leakers. The intent was to see where oil loss is occurring. It indeed there is blue exhaust on over run Honda should warranty repair, even if its a new engine.
Agree, any oil smoke and Honda should cover the repairs. I would be surprised if there is any oil smoke if the consumption rate is only 1 qt per 5000 miles.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:12 PM
It seems my oil usage may be slowing down. Since I took my Jazz back to the dealer for them to top up the oil, the level has dropped about 3mm after 1500Km. I've not noticed any smoke and 100% sure there are no leaks. I'm hoping it’s just the rings seating themselves. How long should it take for rings to completely seat?

Just to let you know, I don't push my Jazz hard at all, been nursing it as much as possible.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:32 PM
JGW
I have a 09 AT Sport with close to 13K miles on it. My oil level always reads full. I did follow break in, and changed the oil when the MM said 20%. (Mobil 1 oil and filter).

I drive almost exclusively HWY miles and use the CC a lot.

I wouldn't think it would take longer than 500 or so miles to break in the engine. I have noticed with Hondas the MPG seems to go up after about 5K miles.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by justdev
It seems my oil usage may be slowing down. Since I took my Jazz back to the dealer for them to top up the oil, the level has dropped about 3mm after 1500Km. I've not noticed any smoke and 100% sure there are no leaks. I'm hoping it’s just the rings seating themselves. How long should it take for rings to completely seat?

Just to let you know, I don't push my Jazz hard at all, been nursing it as much as possible.
just a little factoid, perhaps worth mentioning. In the mid to late 90's I got friendly with a BMW engineer. Some new BMW motorcycles were using oil and the common denominator was 'older guys who rode real easy'. So he would encourage guys to hammer them to red line....a lot, and that usually cured it. (either seated or de-glazed the rings)

There is another guy all over the internet 'motoman' I think it is.
Basically says to run your motor like you stole it from mile one to seat the rings. (I personally do not agree with skipping break-in but a lot of other stuff he post is logical) I will edit in the link if I can find it.
My point being at this stage of the game, why not wring the piss out of your motor for a tankful and see what happens.

[edit for motoman link] http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Last edited by Tork; 07-06-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:53 PM
dgs
Yeah, not normal at all. One question I haven't seen asked, is how many miles was on the car when you got it? If there were a lot of miles on yours it might have been thrashed real bad on test drives during the break in period and therefore your rings did not seat properly. That could lead to your excessive oil consumption problem. Honda motors are pretty bullet proof but like any mass production engine it requires a certain amount of mileage for break in to get the rings to seat properly. For the Fit it's 600 miles.

I had to pay $600 to get my car delivered on a flat bed truck. There was no way I was going to let some stranger drive my car 800 miles. It wouldn't have cost me anything with a driver but I would rather have piece of mind. My Fit was delivered to me with 10 miles on it, which I think is appropriate for a new car.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pbanders
Agree, any oil smoke and Honda should cover the repairs. I would be surprised if there is any oil smoke if the consumption rate is only 1 qt per 5000 miles.

I agree. But if there is even a whiff its time to corral Honda.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dgs
Yeah, not normal at all. One question I haven't seen asked, is how many miles was on the car when you got it? If there were a lot of miles on yours it might have been thrashed real bad on test drives during the break in period and therefore your rings did not seat properly. That could lead to your excessive oil consumption problem. Honda motors are pretty bullet proof but like any mass production engine it requires a certain amount of mileage for break in to get the rings to seat properly. For the Fit it's 600 miles.

I had to pay $600 to get my car delivered on a flat bed truck. There was no way I was going to let some stranger drive my car 800 miles. It wouldn't have cost me anything with a driver but I would rather have piece of mind. My Fit was delivered to me with 10 miles on it, which I think is appropriate for a new car.
Mine was fresh off the delivery truck, after my test drive of it with the wife I had 16 miles on the clock as of final delivery. I didn't baby it for the first 500 miles, but did not thrash it either. No smoke out of the back, no evidence of any oil leakage (except when I spilt a little topping it off). Since Thursday I have not found a drop in oil level, but I was on a "staycation" & not driving as much.
If it starts dropping again, I'm off to Honda.