2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Any Geezers On Here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Mid 30's here ... I'm the middle-aged geezer that went with a base Fit.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Not a geezer yet (only 29) but bought it specifically b/c I wanted something that can accommodate the children that we are surely having soon, the occasional household hauling, family vacations, trip to the dog park, but also get me to work, good fuel economy, not too big, fun to drive.

Can't believe it can do all that, but somehow it does. I expect it will last me into my early geezer-hood.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
both of my FitSports sport recaro seats.... well recaro child seats. hahaha. the MT is a fun car and a great commuter.

not sure about it being a weekend fun car but it does have some of the characteristics.

and no i would be offened if i was a geezer at 40... geezers are like my dad who claims he's 65yrs old repetitively on his bdays...

Old 08-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks again for all the responses! I went back tot he dealer and test drove another Fit and tested out the iPhone and USB stick connection. I took one of our child setas and put it in the back...LOT'S of room for them!

Due to all the help I have received so far on the forums, I felt comfortable in putting down a deposit on a 2009 Blackberry Pearl Fit Sport AT with Nav today! Using my Mustang as a clunker () which gets me $4500 off, I will pay $14,586 plus tax and tags. A fun car that does everything and can be a "hobby car" for under $15,000? Wow.

: hyper:

Old 08-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hahaha congrats!!

Old 08-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Grahamers
Thanks again for all the responses! I went back tot he dealer and test drove another Fit and tested out the iPhone and USB stick connection. I took one of our child setas and put it in the back...LOT'S of room for them!

Due to all the help I have received so far on the forums, I felt comfortable in putting down a deposit on a 2009 Blackberry Pearl Fit Sport AT with Nav today! Using my Mustang as a clunker () which gets me $4500 off, I will pay $14,586 plus tax and tags. A fun car that does everything and can be a "hobby car" for under $15,000? Wow.

Wow! That was fast. Congratulations!

Stop by the Blackberry Pearl thread to check out pictures:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...thread-22.html

Old 08-13-2009, 07:06 PM

Congratulations and I'm sure you will enjoy the Fit.

A coworker is going to try and test drive one tonight after he saw mine today. He drives a 2000 Honda Insight currently and I've been telling him how mine is getting very decent gas mileage for a non-hybrid car. I do drive 90% highway miles.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
I am about to trade in my 97 Mustang GT Convertable clunker (that's right, my baby's a "clunker" now ) for a 2009 Fit Sport. I was wondering if any of you guys were of the older persuasion. Let's say 40+? I will be turning 40 soon and I need a more practical commuter/family car that can transport two child seats in the back and stuff for a road trip, etc. and the Fit seems to give me that while retaining a large amount of fun. (That's right... my first mod will be.....child seats!!!)

Anyone else use a Fit like this? Happy with it? Do you have AT or MT? I am leaning AT since I will be commuting in stop and go traffic. How much "fun" do you lose with the AT? Do the pedal shifters on teh SW make up for it?

Thanks!
Just Clunked my 97 Mustang Cobra M/T Convertible for an 09 Fit Sport M/T, and just passed my mid 40s....

Really, really happy with the car. Especially since the Cobra was a good 0-55 mph car. More time in the car will improve my shifting to second so it keeps it's peppiness. Can't say I tried the A/T.

Last edited by ForceFit; 08-13-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
im 24 (not bragging) but i would definitely recommend the MT over AT. drive MT while you still can...that's my motto!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:09 PM
TaffetaWhite,

I had four dealers all finally come back with a NO on an offer of $200 under MSRP. They all said "we would be losing money on the car." 3 months ago they would have been happy to sell it to me at invoice price. Now with Congress approving preorders on clunkers, the market is going to be fried for the rest of this calendar year. The only hope is the market actually softening out like edmunds predicts.
'Clunkers' Plan Needs a Tuneup - WSJ.com

So I want a Fit Auto W/ Navigation. No dealers will let me buy unless I pay sticker and my moral compass says no to paying sticker.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by jgaepi
TaffetaWhite,

I had four dealers all finally come back with a NO on an offer of $200 under MSRP. They all said "we would be losing money on the car."
I see you are in Vienna VA. If so, you aren't that far from the dealer I am buying from. They are now doing ~$600 UNDER MSRP for an AT Sport with Nav. They are in Ellicott City, MD. Let me know if interested and I will send you my salesman's info. He was straight shooter.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitcious
im 24 (not bragging) but i would definitely recommend the MT over AT. drive MT while you still can...that's my motto!
I kept up with the MT for as long as I could.. 25 yrs!!. No Slush Box for Me!!!!!
But my Knees finally let me down......
Having the paddle shifter reduces some of the pain!

Old 08-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
This is a GREAT forum. And the Fit appeals to all. Everyone has an opinion on what the Fit is all about, and everyone is right.
That about sums up the essence of the Fit right there! I got mine to replace my beater but can't believe how much fun it is! The M/T is truely a jem in these cars but I'm sure it's still fun with an auto.

I'm 42. I got the Fit to drive when it's not nice enough to drive my "fun" car but now the Fit is becomeing the fun car. Even my 2 year old wants to ride in the Fit more than the......

.....Omni. He used to love going for a ride in the "Ahnmay" but last weekend I asked him if he wanted to ride in the Omni and he said "No...Itf"

The Omni is fun though. Just imagine a Fit with no refinement and double the HP.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I just saw this thread - congrads on getting your Fit you 'll love it. I am 53 and have an AT Fit Sport - love that car. Easy to get in and out of and got to love the hatch. It is a great car and even though I am 53 - I have several Mugen parts on my car and actually show my Fit in local car shows in the import classes. Oh here is a recent additions to my car, who said old people can't have fun!

Cat :x

Old 08-14-2009, 12:04 AM
manual vs. auto

Hey Fitcious,
No offense dude, but I have owned more cars with manuals than you are years old. From corvettes to logging trucks and I still have three at this time. Geezers can run a clutch and stick as well as anyone. I actually tried to get s MT but no dealers (North Idaho and Eastern Wash.) in 100 miles stock a manual anything, no matter what brand. The problem is that most if not all driver education programs dont school kids in cars with manuals, so most kids don't understand or know how to use one as they hit adulthood and become buyers, hence no demand, no supply. The paddles seem fun enough to me for spirited shifting, but in snow or city going, popping it in to auto makes sense. The additional MPG of the milage will eventually take care of the extra $$ at purchase time. Oh yeah, WRC cars and and Funny Cars are some of the fastest cars in the world... all are autos.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
You'll love that car. I actually have three small kids-two in boosters and one in a child seat. They fit no problem. I actually have the same or more room in the Fit for them as I did in my SAAB 9-5 or my CR-V. I went AT b/c you kinda get the best of both worlds with the paddle shifters on the Sport. Plus the AT tachs lower on the interstate, where I do most of my driving.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
I'm an older 09 Fit sport with AT owner (46 years old). I've had the car for a little over a month now and driven it 600 miles so far. I don't use the car for a daily as I have other cars I drive. I picked this up as a fun car to work on until I find my next job. I made a thread about my mod progress.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-mods-fit.html

Old 08-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Chad T... not many Goes Like Hell - Squared's around any more. Nice car.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
Geezers

Just to add my two cents worth...I am 69.5, and just 3 wks ago had my second hip replaced.

We love our Fit manual.....would not have the auto. Most weekends we load it up with 2 kayaks, and head down to the Rio Grande for some exciting river and rapids fun.

Right now, my clutch leg is recovering.....but I know in about 3-5 more weeks I will be back in that Fit and enjoying the drive.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
I am 41, well almost 42 and I love my White Sport AT with NAV.

Quick Reply: Any Geezers On Here?