2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Any Geezers On Here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Grahamers
I am about to trade in my 97 Mustang GT Convertable clunker (that's right, my baby's a "clunker" now ) for a 2009 Fit Sport. I was wondering if any of you guys were of the older persuasion. Let's say 40+? I will be turning 40 soon and I need a more practical commuter/family car that can transport two child seats in the back and stuff for a road trip, etc. and the Fit seems to give me that while retaining a large amount of fun. (That's right... my first mod will be.....child seats!!!)

Anyone else use a Fit like this? Happy with it? Do you have AT or MT? I am leaning AT since I will be commuting in stop and go traffic. How much "fun" do you lose with the AT? Do the pedal shifters on teh SW make up for it?

Thanks!

First, as a 70+ I qualify as a geezer and my grandkids who expect me only a short step from cremation to leave them vehicles they can drive (regrettably i didn't pass my racing genes on) so my retirement cars are automatic Fit Sport suitably improved in handling by wider wheels and tires and improved suspension but unlowered and an SER suitably improved as well. I use the paddles almost exclusively; Michael has nothing on me. But I wish the Sport upshifted at redline and downshifted at 2000 rpm automatically like my SER. Lets me choose downshift with paddle is advantageous. The upshift is one less thing to attend to at limits.
The Fit is wonderful for its handling and mpg (30 town mpg to 40 highway mpg) but is a FAR stretch from my Mustang GT in performance. So I also got a Nissan SER which like the Sport has paddle shifters but a lot more room and power. yet gets pretty close to the same mpg thanks to the CVT transmission. I take the Fit for driving anytime but on trips in the mountains it is a bit handicapped.
My Mustang some years ago at VIR would easily turn sub 2:30 full course in full street trim while the Fit strains to get under 3 min (you can see the Fit in action on You Tube 'Fit leading at VIR'. on the much longer grand course). The SER does 2:45 easily. Really hacked me I couldn't get an SI with pad.dle shifters and CVT.
You may also want to consider swtching the rear shocks to AirLifts to overcome the very soft rear springs that are easily overloaded with 2 200 lb people or equivalent weights/luggage.Quert the many posts on the suspension catagory beginning spring of 08 for details and lots of photos.
Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited by mahout; 08-14-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Grahamers , I am assuming you are sharing the information about the good dealer who gives a discount with jgaepi ? Are we all set?

Or do I get to go all nuts and find every single Fit east of the Mississippi?

Just a reminder too, that with the CARS program, even without a reduction on MSRP of the Fit Sport Nav/VSA, you're getting that car for less than I paid for my Base.

Do I really NEED to point that out?

I still have the copy of the cashier's check made out to the dealer on my fridge. You guys are KILLING me here.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Chad T , I wanted one of those so bad.

For those that aren't familiar, take a peek at the Wiki article:
Shelby GLHS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And begin the amazement with this YouTube:
YouTube - Omni GLHS #158

Love the look on these guys faces...and it's the "slower" GLH:
YouTube - GLH omni VS Mustang GT Check out the stuned look on his face

Let's get sweaty...

GLH:
The 1985 and 1986 Omni GLHs were available with either the 110-bhp high-output engine or a 146-bhp turbo 2.2-liter engine, which created a power rocket waiting to fly off the road. Alloy wheels, unique tape decor and ground effects rounded out the package. The turbocharged engine had torque in abundance, with 170 lb-ft peaking at a low 3,600 rpm; when one considers that the light Omni was fairly quick with the 96 horsepower 2.2, the turbocharged version’s power ratings become more impressive.

GLHS
The Omni GLHS (Goes Like Hell, Some-more) started in 1986 based on a 4-door model and had a modified Garrett Turbo I engine, a long-runner tuned intake (2 piece) manifold, and an intercooler. This engine sounds like the Turbo II, but it does not have any of the forged internal parts (crank, rods, pistons, etc.). GLHS production was only 500 in 1986. Color was only black with a grey interior. Options included an oil cooler, and roll-bar. The engine had a compression ratio of 8.5:1, a maximum boost of 12 psi, peak 175 horsepower at 5,300 rpm, and peak torque of 175 lb-ft from 2,200 to 4,800 rpm. The sole transmission was a five-speed manual with a top gear ratio of 2.57:1. The redline was 5,800 rpm; the air-to-air intercooler dropped the air entering the turbocharge by 100°F.

...1986 Omni GLH-S could do 0-60 in a stunning 6.70 seconds...

The Dodge Omni GLH, Dodge Omni GLHS, and Dodge Charger GLH-S

Old 08-14-2009, 04:22 PM
TaffetaWhite,

So no C4C for me, nor do I even have a trade in. I just need a second car. One dealer did come back and offered $80 lower. I could almost take my wife out for a nice meal for that. The black I want is still sitting on three dealer's lots. I check in every day. They would rather have dust on their vehicles than my money in their pocket.

Sort of a fun and interesting game and know that if all else fails I go in Dec or Jan and offer an additional $200 off and watch how they jump for joy to sell to me.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jgaepi
TaffetaWhite,

So no C4C for me, nor do I even have a trade in. I just need a second car. One dealer did come back and offered $80 lower. I could almost take my wife out for a nice meal for that. The black I want is still sitting on three dealer's lots. I check in every day. They would rather have dust on their vehicles than my money in their pocket.

Sort of a fun and interesting game and know that if all else fails I go in Dec or Jan and offer an additional $200 off and watch how they jump for joy to sell to me.
Do you know how to send messages to other members? Click on this name:
Grahamers

On the left side, right under the picture, there is "send message" with a little white down arrow, click on that, then select "Send a private message".

Grahamers knows of a dealer where you can get $600 off a Sport AT Nav/VSA in Ellicott City, MD.

I did a check at Honda, and there is only one dealership in that city:
Ellicott City New & Used Honda Dealership | Baltimore, Columbia, Owings Mills | O'Donnell Honda | Maryland

You'd want to find out the name of the salesperson who helped Grahamers. I checked their online inventory (which may not be accurate) and they have most colors in AT, except Orange and Black.

Of course, you mentioned you want Black. LOL! I'd guess this is one of the places you check:
Honda New Vehicle Inventory Search - Baltimore Honda dealer in Clarksville MD - New and Used Honda dealership Catonsville Towson Columbia Ellicott City MD

Because they only show ONE AT Sport/Nav, and it's Black. You can always ask the good dealer if they can do a dealer trade with the other place that has the color you want.

This one also has Crystal Black:
New Honda Fit, Baltimore, MD, Hatchback, Northwest Honda Stock: 25570

Aha! Someone who advertises a lower than MSRP price, several hundred lower! And they have YOUR car:
2009 Honda Fit Sport w/Navi - Stock #91075 - Internet Price: $18,677 - M.S.R.P.: $18,960 - Landmark Honda of Alexandria- Arlington- Springfield- Virginia- Burke- Centreville- Chantilly- Falls Church- Fredericksburg- Great Falls- Loudon County- Manass

Internet Price:
$18,677

M.S.R.P.:
$18,960

they don't include the destination charge. Yes, it is an automatic, Crystal Black Pearl. AND the price MIGHT be lower. They mention a "sale price", and you have to ask about it. It says:

We provide Savings on our vehicles daily based on current inventory supply. Check to see if this vehicle qualifies for a Sale Price.

------

Yes, at that dealership, they have ALL the FITs with special Internet Pricing.

The Internet pricing is a real saver for them and for us. One person can handle most all the incoming Internet inquiries and do much of the deal via email. That's how I did mine, inquired online, a few emails, a phone call, maybe two phone calls, and that was it. I just needed the total amount for the check. I got a little bit off by using their Internet service and they made a little bit of profit. We're all happy then. Right?

So, there you go. A savings off MSRP, at a dealer that is about 8.7 miles away from one of the zip codes for your city. There's your car. What are you waiting for?

Edit add-on...
Then there's this place that advertises their Internet special at MORE than MSRP, LOL:
http://www.fairfaxhonda.com/inventor...4&ModelID=1788

Like anyone shopping around will look at the various sites and say "Hey, wait, I want to pay more!"

Edit add-on #2...There is some kind of "processing fee" at that Landmark Honda, of $385. Hopefully you got with Grahamers and have the salesperson's name for the dealership that has a better discount.

Last edited by TaffetaWhite; 08-14-2009 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Funny dealer markup
Old 08-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by txmatt
Chad T... not many Goes Like Hell - Squared's around any more. Nice car.
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Chad T , I wanted one of those so bad.
Hey thanks guys. I figured a few "geezers" would know what this car is.

My favorite article on the GLHS from Hot Rod back in the day.

FRONT-RUNNERS.net - '86 GLHS vs. '66 GT350

Here is my favorite GLH youtube vid. Not a GLHS just a regular GLH Omni...against a Z06 Vette.
YouTube - Omni GLH Turbo vs. Corvette Z06

My car has quite a few mods and is scary fast. I like to keep the engine bay looking clean and original though.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
Oh yeah, Chad. That article is great:

"After the initial shock wore off we started to better appreciate just what a watershed car this is. For starters, it was all the things Shelby had been telling us it could be--a low cost(about $11,000), front-wheel-drive (because that's what Chrysler is manufacturing today), four-cylinder (mileage and economy still call the shots), turbocharged (because some folks still want to enjoy driving a car) little car (because today it's required to make better use of space and materials). In short, it has all the earmarks of a "today" car, not those of the mid-Sixties."

And THAT is exactly what NEEDS to be done as far as cars today too. Notice that the Fit fits most of that description, except for the blistering speeds and turbocharging. Dodge DID have the right idea back then. By offering several versions of the Omni, which was indeed a practical car. In one form, LOL (scroll down for mpg and engine variations):
Gas Mileage of 1986 Vehicles by Dodge

SIX different offerings in the Omni lineup. SIX.

And that is what I feel could be done with the Fit. It's being done, in some ways, it's just that the variations aren't all available in the same market. If you want luxury leather interior, you have to go to another country. Skyroof? Not in the US.

I'd still probably have gotten the Base model, or whatever got the best mileage. The BODY is the same, even the ENGINE is the same size. Having all those various packages/variations is the way of the future, or at least the American car makers should pay heed.

The Base model. The Sport model. The Luxury model (it could have softer suspension and cushier seats with more sound dampening). A towing package model, that has a slightly bigger engine to tow perhaps something that Honda could MAKE to go with the styling of the Fit. Like some kind of cargo/luggage container that could also carry 4 bicycles and be towed. Not big towing.

And a performance model, in limited numbers, ala the GLHS. Probably spoken for long before hitting a showroom floor, or up on a lottery, or bidding war. Something to reward the best dealers for making good sales. Or as a way to draw customers to smaller dealerships that could really USE the help and publicity of having one of the rare Fits.

Heh! Great video.

How long have you had it? The Omni GLHS?

Old 08-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Still alive at 55

Picking up my TW Sport AT Saturday morning. I'm 55 years old and this is my 2nd new car, with my first being when I graduated from Penn State in '75. My car of choice then................ '75 AMC Pacer X .......... biggest piece of junk I ever owned, but I thought it was hot back then.

Cash 4 Clunkered a 1998 Ford Taurus Wagon which was still in great shape with only 65K, but sucked gas like a stock car. I feel kind of guilty knowing it will be mulched but I'll get over it.

Looked for two weeks for a car................there is nothing left in this area. Was looking for something good on gas and fun to drive, with the Honda dealer being the only place that had anything..........I think because they don't drop much from the MSRP. Plus, it's a big Civic / Accord area..........the old man will be pretty much a lone wolf, being picked on by the ricers.

Got cold feet this morning when the news stated C4C decided to start letting you order a car from the dealer, if they have none in stock. I thought, "Should I go order a Focus, Corolla, Matrix........?????"........I was hyperventilating.

Then I thought to myself "I'm sticking with my pick !!". I read to many good reviews here and all over the web to turn back.

Got my flash drive loaded up with some Beatles, Zepplin, Floyd, etc. and am going to reenact the first cruise in the Pacer ( then the music was on 8 tracks ...... god bless technology)

Wish me luck !!!!!!!!!

Old 08-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Banned
Oh yeah, Chad. That article is great:

And THAT is exactly what NEEDS to be done as far as cars today too. SIX different offerings in the Omni lineup. SIX.
Yeah if you look at the statistics fuel economy got a lot better until the late eighties when it kind of leveled off. The GLHS will get around 30 on the highway. Drops to 20 ish around town if you beat on it .

And that is what I feel could be done with the Fit.

I'd still probably have gotten the Base model, or whatever got the best mileage.
Hee hee. The base model IS the high performance model!! That's what's so cool about it. Lighter weight, skinnier, lighter tires (being that it's not traction limited) means the base will have better acceleration than the Sport. (I really want to take mine to the track for grins as the magazines always test the sport.)

To me the base fit is like (in eighties car terms) a Mustang LX 5.0, Firebird Formula, Daytona C/S etc. etc. To a gear head/grease monkey type the car without the showy add ons and the same HP is always the more desirable item. I think it's cool Honda gave us the best engine in the lowleyest Fit here in the US.

The Base model. The Sport model. The Luxury model (it could have softer suspension and cushier seats with more sound dampening). A towing package model, that has a slightly bigger engine to tow perhaps something that Honda could MAKE to go with the styling of the Fit. Like some kind of cargo/luggage container that could also carry 4 bicycles and be towed. Not big towing.
Yeah it seems like they could just make Fits. They do offer more engine options in other countires. I didn't know anything about the motor in my Fit until I read this article.

The Truly Amazing Honda Fit/Jazz

It starts out talking about the base Fit engine that they get in Japan which is super small but made to perform at low revs for City car duty. I finaly realized at the end of it though that the GE engine is more of a traditional vtec setup and not the 12/16 valve deal they talk about. It;s still an interesting read about what went in to the desigin of the motors just for the Fits.

The 2 spark plug per cyl 8v base engine sounds fascintating. I'm sure it would be a dud compared to the 16v vtec we get here in the stats but it sounds like it's got some nice low end.

And a performance model, in limited numbers, ala the GLHS. Probably spoken for long before hitting a showroom floor, or up on a lottery, or bidding war. Something to reward the best dealers for making good sales. Or as a way to draw customers to smaller dealerships that could really USE the help and publicity of having one of the rare Fits.
Yeah too bad Honda is so conservative when it comes to things like that. They need a Carrol Shelby over there. They could get Mugen to do it but it would cost as much as a car with twice the performance.

I'm sure a nice K20 equipped Type-R Fit in limited numbers would get some attention.

I was looking at the Fit today and wondering what it would take to shoehorn a nice Honda V6 in there but the I've decided never to do anything to the Fit that could make it undriveable. ...............At least not until the warranty's up.

How long have you had it? The Omni GLHS?
I've had it since september. It's been a whirlwind. I have a thread about it here if you'd like to read about the Saga.

New Guy New (to me) GLHS #088 - Turbo Mopar Forums

Getting the Fit really stabalized things for me as all I had was the Omni and a winter beater that ran OK but needed a lot to make it "comfortably reliable".

Last edited by Chad T; 08-15-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by 55Fit55
Cash 4 Clunkered a 1998 Ford Taurus Wagon which was still in great shape with only 65K, but sucked gas like a stock car. I feel kind of guilty knowing it will be mulched but I'll get over it.
The clunker thing is a weird deal but as long as Obama's printing money..... It's worked out great for me but it's definitely a controversial topic..

My wife still gets sad about our 1994 Audi Quattro wagon getting put down it was a good car but was headed for some big maintenece to get her up to snuff. Also was automatic which is not fun for me to drive.

Anybody on the fence about auto/stick should drive the m/t Fit. Best shifting trans ever!!

Got cold feet this morning when the news stated C4C decided to start letting you order a car from the dealer, if they have none in stock. I thought, "Should I go order a Focus, Corolla, Matrix........?????"........I was hyperventilating.

Then I thought to myself "I'm sticking with my pick !!". I read to many good reviews here and all over the web to turn back.
You'll love the Fit! I never even looked at one before I bought. (same as with my last Honda). Once you've had a Honda you know pretty much what to expect but I was really impressed with the Fit having owned 3 Hondas. If you've never owned a Honda the Fit will blow your mind...Seriously. It's a nice little car.

Got my flash drive loaded up with some Beatles, Zepplin, Floyd, etc. and am going to reenact the first cruise in the Pacer ( then the music was on 8 tracks ...... god bless technology)

Wish me luck !!!!!!!!!
Shine on you crazy geezer!!

Old 08-15-2009, 12:50 AM
I was on the fence with AT / MT choice. The Sport I'm getting tomorrow is AT in White............the other model they had was MT in silver. I liked the silver color better, but was not sure if I would enjoy the AT.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:29 AM
Banned
Did you drive the M/T? You should at least try it because if you like shifting it is really a joy to drive. Very nice shift quality.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jgaepi
TaffetaWhite,

Let's see what else I can find for you.

Going to the Ourisman Honda site, I got a pop-up that said "$250.00 off Internet price" with the name and address requested. I don't know if it's something you can print out after filling it out or if you have to wait for them to send you some certificate. Otherwise, it's MSRP price listed.
Ourisman Honda| Honda Dealer | Bethesda MD | Ourisman Honda

Looks like they have TWO Crystal Black Pearl Sport/Nav with AT:
Ourisman Honda|

Ourisman Honda|

They also have one of the better set-up sites. If you go to one of the two above cars, you'll see color swatches below the car, which shows what colors they have IN STOCK. That's a nice touch.

The attention to details, even on the website, it matters to me. The more accurate it is, the more info they provide, the more likely I think they are to be a competent dealer. Like if the image they show actually matches the color they state the car is. Some don't do that, but Ourisman does.
------------------

Sheehy Honda appears to have several Crystal Black AT Nav, although they list the exterior color as being "black cloth". And some of their pictures don't match the stated car color (I think that's confusing).

Stated prices are MSRP inc destination charge:
http://www.sheehyhonda.com
----------

This is probably one of the ones you've checked, MSRP:
New-Inventory BILL PAGE HONDA FALLS CHURCH VA
-------

Looks like many of the dealers have that "processing fee"

I don't remember a processing fee.

I've checked the 15 nearest places to you. Some don't have their inventory online. Others didn't have what you wanted. So I didn't link them.

But the good news is that Grahamers has the one that offered Nav under MSRP, and I found one that also offers under MSRP.

I got a couple hundred or so off MSRP. That was fine for me.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm 40....and get bullsh*t from a few friends about my new Fit. I'm just quietly waiting for the 24 month final payment...let's see who is laughing then when those clowns will still have 3-4 more years @ $500/month.

I typically only keep a car for 2 to 3 years, so I've had at least one in almost every car category. I've wasted a lot of money to finally learn....go simple/cheap/reliable on the car for commuting and toolin around....get a motorcycle for the fast and furious stuff -- a used 2004 GSX-R 100 for $5k will leave most <$100k sportscars in the dust...with maybe a few exceptions.

...however, driving a Fit at my age sometimes requires a thick skin. Examples:

Side-by-side at a red light with a hot blonde, Clemson alumni in a BMW 525...she looked, then shook her head (ah, that's so sad).

Another side-by-side last night, only this was a buncha teen dudes in a old school Jeep Cherokee - UGA stickers, sideways caps...130lbs toothpicks "rollin" on a Friday night. But, they had a good laugh...i do believe I remember doing the same thing while raising hell in my 1973 Dodge Sport (Demon) when I was 18 - "ahhh, hahaha, check out gramps in the Fesitiva!!!!"

Last edited by Watsoff; 08-15-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
This 48 3/4 year old got this stuff on his GD-3 VBP...

Add-ons to my 2008 base model VBP since purchased on 8/08:

• 87.00 JDM Passenger Visor w/Mirror (She likes it!)
  • 97.00 Tanabe Sustec TTB122F
  • 55.00 AutoVentShades
  • 50.00 BlendMount for ScanGauge II
  • 150.00 ScanGauge II
  • 310.00 Cruise Control (I like it!)
  • 100.00 Honda OEM Keyless Entry
  • 123.00 Honda OEM Security System
  • 39.00 K&N Drop-in Filter
  • 65.00 OEM All Season Rubber Mats!
  • 72.00 OEM Carpet Mats
  • 260.00 TomTom 920T
  • 53.00 LEDs for Dome, Glovebox & License Plate
  • 149.00 6000K Bi-Xenon HIDs (Highly recommended!)
  • 70.00 LED Ignition Ring
  • 11.00 Chrome License Plate Holder
  • 25.00 ZETA Chrome Hatch Trim
  • 60.00 ZETA Dead Peddle
  • 137.00 Billet Upper & Lower Grills!
  • 53.00 OEM Door Sills
  • 85.00 JDM Adjustable Armrest
  • 42.00 WOLO BadBoy Airhorn
  • 38.00 Honda OEM 2009 Clear Door Edge Film
  • 29.00 OEM Bumper Applique
  • 130.00 OEM Splash Guards $$ - Stealer Installed Rip-off! $$
  • 24.00 VTEC SOHC Decals & GD3 3rd Brake Decal
  • 150.00 QualityLock.NET Reflective Signage
  • 100.00 ZETA Armrest (Being replaced by JDM folding armrest)
  • 5.00 FitFreak.net Decal (on chrome license plate holder)
ONLY $2,768.00, so far!
More to come, I'm sure! (But don't tell her ; )

• 275.00 Del Sol Mag Wheels
  • 325.00HID Bi-Xenon Projector RetroFit
  • 320.00 2nd Set Of VBP Headlight Assemblies (For RetroFit)
  • 81.00 Shark Fin Antenna in VBP
  • 347.00 BLITZ Throttle Controller
  • 10.00 3 More FitFreak Decals
  • 17.00 FitFreak License Plate Frame
WAITING ON~
  • i-Kona's Wiper Delete (I got mine!)
WANTED~
  • C-Pillar Bar
  • TURBO...EH, NO! I'd buy a different car for FASTNESS. A Stingray or Ariel Atom!
$4493.00, so far.

PLUS~

i-Kona's Wiper Delete
One Stop Custom Shop GD3 Third Brake Light...
Tint (Finally!)

$4,928.00, so far!

Fit Freak Post HERE...

Last edited by theloxmyth; 09-24-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Watsoff
I'm 40....and get bullsh*t from a few friends about my new Fit. I'm just quietly waiting for the 24 month final payment...let's see who is laughing then when those clowns will still have 3-4 more years @ $500/month.

I typically only keep a car for 2 to 3 years, so I've had at least one in almost every car category. I've wasted a lot of money to finally learn....go simple/cheap/reliable on the car for commuting and toolin around....get a motorcycle for the fast and furious stuff -- a used 2004 GSX-R 100 for $5k will leave most <$100k sportscars in the dust...with maybe a few exceptions.

...however, driving a Fit at my age sometimes requires a thick skin. Examples:

Side-by-side at a red light with a hot blonde, Clemson alumni in a BMW 525...she looked, then shook her head (ah, that's so sad).

Another side-by-side last night, only this was a buncha teen dudes in a old school Jeep Cherokee - UGA stickers, sideways caps...130lbs toothpicks "rollin" on a Friday night. But, they had a good laugh...i do believe I remember doing the same thing while raising hell in my 1973 Dodge Sport (Demon) when I was 18 - "ahhh, hahaha, check out gramps in the Fesitiva!!!!"
Like most everything else, we have two basic choices:
1. Work for our car.
2. Let our car work for us.

Of course, there is a difference between the "fun hobby car on the side" and the "must struggle to keep up payments AND keep the dang thing on the road since it breaks down so much." The difference there is one is fun that you look forward to playing around with and the other is a miserable burden.

People buy into the "more expensive" is "better", which isn't always true. Depends what qualities a person seeks. And having a wheelbarrow full of cash doesn't mean that a person will seek out some showy or flashy car.

Who drives one of those cars?

Need a few hints before the answer?
1. He flies economy.
2. Sometimes visits a big box store for lunch it it's little inexpensive cafe.

Answer:
A peek into the garages of the world's billionaires reveals... a 13-year-old Volvo? &mdash; Autoblog

Not that some of the published info isn't for image, but being somewhere between THE most wealthy person and the fifth most wealthy person, he obviously can afford to drive whatever he wants. But he doesn't.

Compare and contrast with celebrities and their foolishness with finances. One day they're on top of the world, and the next year they're broke. They blew it all on gum and candy. They blew all their money on junk, stuff that doesn't matter, false status symbols, that only showed they have no grasp of reality.

And what can you do with all the money you saved by getting a car that gets good mpg, that will last, that is dependable and reliable?

Save and invest. Protect your future.

Travel. While the hot blonde and the goofy kids are still at red lights, you might be on a gondola in Venice or dancing in Greece or on safari in Africa.

That same awesome feeling you get from driving a good car that is reasonably priced is the same feeling you'll have when your bills are all paid and you don't have to stress out about where money will come from. With a paid-off home and no credit card interest and no high-faluting lifestyle to maintain, you can LIVE each day.

Ahhhhhhh.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Well put.

For the most part, I "get" both sides of the coin when it comes to "toys." I've had my share in the past...now, I limit myself to one motorcycle (with the option to mod, of course). I'm enjoying the dirt cheap insurance, and no payments on the wife's car nor the bike....just the 24 months i've got with this Fit - keeping the cash and getting the short term loan looked better on paper, so that's what i did.

I enjoy spending my money, but never again will I dump cash into swank cars....because no matter what I got, I was bored with 'em all within a year or two. So, I've had my full of that, for now, and there's so much more out there to "taste" before I check out....

Old 08-31-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm 71, 72 in November. Silver 2007 Fit!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
50 + 1 here with an 09 Fit Sport, AT. I like the paddle shifters, but they don't seem to be a percise as two AutoStick Dodges I have had. I am still a Dodge man at heart, from the big block wedges, the high winding 340s and to the neat performance FWD stuff.

A lot of the young dudes don't know that Chrysler really knocked down some doors back in the 80's with performance FWD stuff. So many said you can't have a FWD performance car.

My son has a Neon R/T (not actually his yet!) which is a fun drive. I always wanted an Neon SRT 4.

I do admit I feel a bit funny in the Fit. I guess that is why it was hidden in the garage for two weeks after I bought it!

The Fit Sport is a fun drive. I like the suspension and the seats. I can't stand a car that doesn't stick in the curves. The car meet my handling/suspension criteria and it was a C4C deal. I would be nice if it had about 50 more ponies under the hood!

Actually, I talked my dad into a '09 Fit Sport. The last time I swayed him on a car was back in 1985 when I got him hooked on the Chrysler Lebaron GTS Turbo!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:52 AM
I am going to be 68 in Nov. My 07 Fit Sport AT is one of the best cars I have ever owned. The only way I would get rid of it would be for the 2010. Been from KS to FL twice, many trips to ND & MN. Best milage I ever got was 43 MPG, am averaging 30 in the city, so quite pleased. Have added a trailer hitch (Hidden Hitch) from E trailer to pull a small cargo trailer for camping.

Quick Reply: Any Geezers On Here?