2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Any Geezers On Here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Any Geezers On Here?

I am about to trade in my 97 Mustang GT Convertable clunker (that's right, my baby's a "clunker" now ) for a 2009 Fit Sport. I was wondering if any of you guys were of the older persuasion. Let's say 40+? I will be turning 40 soon and I need a more practical commuter/family car that can transport two child seats in the back and stuff for a road trip, etc. and the Fit seems to give me that while retaining a large amount of fun. (That's right... my first mod will be.....child seats!!!)

Anyone else use a Fit like this? Happy with it? Do you have AT or MT? I am leaning AT since I will be commuting in stop and go traffic. How much "fun" do you lose with the AT? Do the pedal shifters on teh SW make up for it?

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:22 AM
PS: What fun mods have you done for your geezer-fits?

Old 08-13-2009, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
wow, i'd never call myself a geezer and i'm 40, i'll never grow old - just up.
i love my TW A/T sport with paddle shifters more than my nieces & nephews (no kids of my own) i have a GD and have MILDLY modded it (check out my profile)
you'll love the fit, but coming from the mustang you might wanna get the M/T
last where you at?

Old 08-13-2009, 09:49 AM
We're about exactly the same age. No kids, but I do use the Fit for commuting (~25 miles each way) and the wife and I use it exclusively for errand-running. We've got the Sport Manual and have been VERY pleased so far. We've hauled amazing amount of stuff with/in it, it's fun to drive, gets great mileage, and is relatively quiet and comfortable for the class of car. If I could change some things it would be to dial back the suspension firmness (maybe shock compression damping) by half a notch, make the steering ratio not quite so quick so it's not so eager to change directions with minute steering inputs on the highway, and add a 6th gear for lower RPM highway cruising. None of these are big issues and we've gotten used to them. The Fit's just a great little car.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
You guys are just kids. Uncle Gary is 57, and when I was your age (damn-did I just say that, or was that my father talking?) I could ride my road bike up any of the hills around here in style. Today, I'm still a trim 150 pounds, and can still ride pretty fast on the level. I'm also still playing lead guitar and singing in a rock band in my spare time. I may grow old, but I'm NEVER growing up!

I bought the Fit Sport Manual because it was fun to drive and could still carry a load of guitars, amps and other gear for gigging. Since my other vehicle is a motorcycle, I love the Fits' quick steering, sporty handling and snappy engine. The car is sort of a motorcycle on four wheels IMO. It's the first car I've owned that I look forward to driving. The fact that I'm averaging 39 MPG is easy to live with, too.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Paddle Shifters

If you're a geezer at 40, then I'm a corpse at 50+. I have a Fit Sport AT. Would have preferred manual transmission, but I considered wife's preference and the fact that I hope to have the Fit until I'm old enough that I might get fed up shifting gears.

The paddle shifters are a nice substitute for a MT for driving a winding/hilly road. They work great for quick downshifts/upshifts between 3rd, 4th, 5th gears and give you that manual transmission feeling of control. For around-town driving, accelerating at traffic lights, etc., I find the paddles a waste of time. With the torque converter, you still get a slushy feel, and don't feel connected to the powertrain like a true manual. I also miss being able to coast in neutral at times like with an MT. The AT is nice and convenient in stop and go driving. Overall, I'm happy with the AT and think I'll miss the MT less and less over time.

One thing I like on the Fit that may not be the same on other cars is that the doors open really wide, perpendicular to the car body. That may help you get those car seats and their occupants in the back.

Also, I'm currently driving a 1.8L Pontiac Vibe AT for a week (business rental). The Fit is definetly sportier and more fun to drive, while the Vibe is very competent, smoother riding and a nice cruiser. You kind of forget you're driving in the Vibe, which some might like and some hate. I did notice the doors don't open as wide as the Fit.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:24 AM
A geezer at 40, your not even an old fart.

The Fit is a great car for what you are describing. I use to say my 96 Integra was the perfect car, really fun, holds a lot, and very practical.

The Fit is better in almost every way. It's not as fast (but the insurance is much less). it handles much the same, it has way more room, and the shifters have the same feel. As for AT vs. MT, I would never buy a AT small car, but I seem to be in the minority as I hear in some places in the states, Dealers do not even stock MT cars, as no one can drive them. It was a no brainer up here to buy a MT Fit, at the time it would have cost almost $2,000 more for the AT. (Honda was giving a $500 discount for MT cars)

The doors are amazing I'm a really big old guy with a bad knee, the Fit is the easiest car to get in and out of I have ever driven.

To sum up the FIT, People drive a Fit because they want to, not because they have to.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
I hit the 5-0 mark earlier this year! Traded the Mazda P5 in for the Fit. I have always like the practicality of a hatch, and I needed something with better fuel milage that the Mazda was giving me. Sadly, I had to give up driving a manual . .... the old left knee was not liking that anymore! The 5spd AT with paddle shifts helped to make up my mind!!

Old 08-13-2009, 11:44 AM
gwh
have a mt 2009 fit 19000 mi at this point, fun too drive, been too az and back this past winter. as far as geezer's are concerned i am 78 yrs young.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:52 AM
the geezerest of all geezers here?

I'm 58, went to buy another Accord, but balked at the BIG window sticker. I walked by the Fits several times, finally looked at one, sat in one and drove it. Impressive indeed. My clunker ('94 Caprice cop car) got good enough milage so the Accord wouldn't qualify for the CARS money, but the Fit did. The stupid Civic Ebrake handle was like a spear in my leg (who the hell thought that was good place to put it???) so it was out as well. I got $4500 for my Chevy, turned it in on the snow tires, kept the mags and wheels (sold for $500) and stereo (another $200) and a good price on the Fit. The driver's seat needs some "go back" mods and the wipers need the intermitant fix and the grill needs a screen to save the A/C condensor, but all in all I expect it to be a pretty fun car. Im in Idaho, big winters here so that remains to be seen. PMs are welcome.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
going bk to the first post, i have put a booster seat and a car seat in my fit. its a little tight, but i put my seat back f-a-r. i will have one in the car for a good long time once my wife pop's. she is due in dec.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
2-Position Recline

If it matters for child seats, the Fit back seats can recline to two slightly different angles.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
I'm 38, not quite geezer status, and have two kids, one of who is out of a car seat. The Fit carried the four of us on a 900 mile road trip last month. Everything fit fine, although there's not a whole lot of room to keep extra toys, pillows, etc., in the cabin with four people. The extra cup holders were appreciated by all. 38 mpg with the A/C on at 75 mph didn't hurt, either.

It's a little funny to be surrounded by Suburbans, Avalanches, and Siennas in the school car pool lane. Regarding the transmission, personally I would never buy a car with that size engine with an AT. The clutch and shifter are ridiculously easy in traffic.

One piece of advice is that if you have a rear facing car seat I would double check to make sure it fits. I doubt forward facing will be a problem.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the info! 900 miles with four people is definitely a sign that it will work for me! Both kids are out of rear-facing seats, thank goodness.

And just to clarify, I don't think of myself as a geezer either, but the harsh observations of those younger than I have been conveyed enough to signal to me that in the eyes of the average Fit owner, I am certain to be seen as a geezer. Embrace it!

Old 08-13-2009, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Grahamers
Thanks for the info! 900 miles with four people is definitely a sign that it will work for me! Both kids are out of rear-facing seats, thank goodness.
It'll definitely work fine. Don't get me wrong - the Fit does fine for weekend trips for four. The cargo area is bigger than most sedan trunks. If we bring the dog, if it's a longer trip, or if we really have to haul large amounts of gear, we bring the Mazda5, which is another great vehicle in itself. But we didn't need two cars with that level of carrying capacity.

Besides, the kids love the Fit. They think it's a very cool car.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
I got the SSM FIT Sport with A/T, now at 6200 miles. Took a 750 mile trip to KY in June with luggage & the dog in a crate. Got a better ride than I expected. Came out of a 2002 Explorer for the FIT.

Mods-stainless steel pillar posts, rear bumper applique, door sill trim, lower billet grill, blue 3M vinyl fog light covers, window tint, all weather mats, upgrade headlight bulbs.

62 yr. old geezer

Old 08-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I am about to trade in my 97 Mustang GT Convertable clunker (that's right, my baby's a "clunker" now ) for a 2009 Fit Sport. I was wondering if any of you guys were of the older persuasion. Let's say 40+? I will be turning 40 soon and I need a more practical commuter/family car that can transport two child seats in the back and stuff for a road trip, etc. and the Fit seems to give me that while retaining a large amount of fun. (That's right... my first mod will be.....child seats!!!)

Anyone else use a Fit like this? Happy with it? Do you have AT or MT? I am leaning AT since I will be commuting in stop and go traffic. How much "fun" do you lose with the AT? Do the pedal shifters on teh SW make up for it?

Thanks!
It's practical and it's fun. I've had a stick most of my life, and I have an AT Fit base model. I don't even have paddle shifters and I still think it's fun. For as practical and useful as it is, it shouldn't be fun at all.

As far as the children, I would suggest from a practical point of view, that the AT might be a good choice, the Sport model for you.

When you WANT to do some shifting, you can play with paddles. When you want the car on practically auto-pilot, especially during stop and go commute traffic, you can do that.

But you don't want to be jerking the kids around with manual. And you don't want to have to stress about shifting if the little ones are upset. You don't want to wake them if they doze off. And you don't want to upset stomachs if you don't have to...because kids spew.

Speaking of spewing, if you haven't seen the thread yet on the Clazzio seat covers, you might want to check them out, in the all-PVC style. The leather is perforated, so that won't keep spews from soaking through.

You probably want to air out the car (any new car) and the seat covers before putting the kids in for any long trip. Both will off-gas for a considerable time and those little lungs aren't set up and fully developed.

This car will get you through commutes and kids with ease. You won't sacrifice fun for utility, because the Fit has a bit of both. More than a bit of both.

And as far as being a geezer...sheesh! Sure, I'm 10 years older than you on THIS planet, but on other planets, we're the same age. So, you think about that.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member

And just to clarify, I don't think of myself as a geezer either, but the harsh observations of those younger than I have been conveyed enough to signal to me that in the eyes of the average Fit owner, I am certain to be seen as a geezer. Embrace it!
This is a GREAT forum. And the Fit appeals to all. Everyone has an opinion on what the Fit is all about, and everyone is right.

I originally thought that the Fit was only a young person's car. That's the way the marketing appears to be in the U.S. Fierce defenders and menacing styling and conquer the world capability...I just want to get to the store and back. I don't want to conquer anything.

I figured if I chose the base model, which was what was supposed to get the best mpg (the AT), I would be OK. I was ready to fiercely defend my choice, because it is a GOOD choice. All the car reviewers have praise for the Fit. Having a good, dependable car was more important.

And then I discovered that the GE version is especially good at crossing boundaries. There is no age group that it only appeals to. Some folks buy it as the end, as transporation. Others buy it as a means to an end, via modifications.

I enjoy seeing what others do to their cars. And yet I am completely happy with my base model and have no plans on putting different wheels on it, because mine are already round enough.

Even though they are the same cars, my car is a practical, dependable, reliable car. And someone else's car is dropped, shod, iced and siiiiiiiiick. Er, something like that.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:16 PM
I am only in my early thirties but I need the vehicle for the exact same reason as you. We have a 2 year old and have another on the way. We own an 09 Honda Accord EX-L, which is the world's best car but we need a second car. Opportunity to get a peppy fun car that looks good, with versatlile storage space. We need to get a double stroller in the trunk, which I have already measured to fit correctly. We will have two car seats in there every once in a while. Mainly a transport to get me and my kid to swim and music lessons when my wife has the infant in the Accord.

Now if I could only get a dealer to sell one to me these days a buck under MSRP.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jgaepi
I am only in my early thirties but I need the vehicle for the exact same reason as you. We have a 2 year old and have another on the way. We own an 09 Honda Accord EX-L, which is the world's best car but we need a second car. Opportunity to get a peppy fun car that looks good, with versatlile storage space. We need to get a double stroller in the trunk, which I have already measured to fit correctly. We will have two car seats in there every once in a while. Mainly a transport to get me and my kid to swim and music lessons when my wife has the infant in the Accord.

Now if I could only get a dealer to sell one to me these days a buck under MSRP.
So you're currently looking? I want to help! What do you want specifically?

Quick Reply: Any Geezers On Here?