2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear-facing Infant seat, any success stories ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Rear-facing Infant seat, any success stories ?

GF is 3 months pregnant (our first), and soon after we successfully conceived, we both agreed that it was stupid and unsafe to let her ride my older (unsafe) car.

Shortly before we started shopping for the new car, we bought as nice big Chicco Keyfit 30, because it was very well rated, safe, full featured and comfy.

We brought the car seat with us when we did our shopping, and the Fit being high on my list, it was our first (and only) stop. We've test driven it, liked the features, color, everything.

At the dealership, we tested the seat inside the Fit wand while it was a tight fit, we were okay with it at the time. But now that we've had the car for a few weeks (and love it) we tried doing our daily driving, and it probably won't work.

We can't install the seat behind me (the driver) because my seat has to be almost all the way forward, and it is VERY uncomfortable. I'm not a big guy, 5'9", but I tend to sit pretty far from the wheel. Same problem on my GF's side, her knees are almost inside the glovebox when the seat is behind her. Also, if we do back up our seats a little AFTER the seat is in place, we can't reach the release handle on the infant seat, so we'd have to constantly move out seats.

We tired in the middle position (the manual says it is okay), by using one LATCH from each side, and while it works MUCH better, we're still not sure this is the best way to go. Also,since none of us can reach/see inside the seat, there's no way to know if everything is fine in there...

We're currently considering selling the seat and buying a smaller one ... but again we have no idea which one to look for. Now that we have the Fit I know I can go to Toys'R us and test them directly there, which should make things much easier.

But I figured out it couldn't hurt to ask the community here for success stories. So, do any of you regularly use REAR FACING infant/baby seats in your Fit ? Where did you install them ? Got any tips to share ?

Thanks !

Old 08-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Have a Maxi Cosi Rear facing seat w/base. The base is permanently in the fit and we take the seat in and out (best invention ever). I find it is best to have the seat in the center. The child hooks built into the frame of the seat allow us to attach the base w/ little or no side to side movement and there is enough room with the front seats in normal position to easily clip the car seat in and out.

I bought the fit because we were having a baby. I had a 2 door yaris hatch that I traded in. The fit is awesome!

Old 08-26-2009, 12:31 PM
If it helps, we had the same problem with our Jeep. After 4 - 7 months you'll swap that out for a foward seat. I guess in the meanwhile tough it up for baby's safety.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
I only have one child left in a car seat, so I've never had the opportunity to fit a rear facing car seat in the Fit. I was going to tell you to ask the same question on a car seat forum, but I googled "Honda Fit" and "rear facing car seat" and found that you already did. Take their advice, it's right on. Unless you have a dedicated LATCH in the center (11 inches apart, specifically), you are not supposed to use the LATCH anchors in the middle position. Use the seatbelt instead.

Given that the headrest design of the Fit forces most of us to drive with the seatback slightly reclined, your only option is to keep the car seat in the rear center. That way you can comfortably drive. It is the safest position for a child anyway. Being able to physically see your child when you drive is kind of overrated. Trust me on that one, I've been there twice.

The infant car seat is actually the least of your issues. Somewhere around 5-6 months most kids outgrow the infant car seats based on height alone, roughly 27-28 inches or so. You then have to switch to a convertible car seat. A child needs to be rear facing until at least 1 year and 20 pounds, preferably as long as possible. Until they become that size and age, their weight and their neurologic maturity aren't enough to keep their head from flopping all around in a crash. The convertible car seat is even tougher to fit rear facing.

I did find this link, though - scroll down and you'll see a rear facing convertible car seat in the Fit. You'll notice it's in the center and it doesn't look like there's any way to put it directly behind the front seats. But it does fit.

Once your child becomes old and big enough to turn the seat around your troubles are over, at least until the next child comes along.

Last edited by doctorz; 08-26-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
Re: LATCH and center position, this link is a good explanation. I know the Fit's manual isn't clear on this, but LATCH should not be used for a center mounted seat.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
this is awsome info, my wife is 6mnths pregnat and i never thought of "test fitting" car seats. no matter what i will put him in the middle, thanks

Old 08-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Indeed, lots of good information, thanks to everybody.

This is the thread I started on Car-Seat.org: Rear facing infant seat for 2009 Honda Fit ? - Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Vehicle & Child Passenger Safety Forums

Awesome replies in this thread too, a must read.

The owner's manual was unclear at first, saying the seat can be installed anywhere on the rear seat, but a few pages after that it clearly says that LATCH can only be used on the outer positions.

This weekend we're going to try the baby seat in the center, held down using the seatbelt, and with the baby seat handle UP, which should free up lots of space.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Having the baby seat handle in the up position while driving completely negates all the safety features of the car seat in the even of a crash. At least that is what I'm told by my wife who's a nurse and had to take a Certified Car Seat Technician Class. Anyone else know about this?

I wouldn't know if she is leading me blindly or not. I just do what she says!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by doctorz
Re: LATCH and center position, this link is a good explanation. I know the Fit's manual isn't clear on this, but LATCH should not be used for a center mounted seat.
After reading the link, does the fit have lower anchors in the center of the back seat that are 11 inches apart?

The vehicle has a designated LATCH position in the center of the back seat. This means it has lower anchors that are 11 inches apart and specifically intended for use in the center seat. Examples include the Acura MDX (2007 and newer), the Honda CRV (2007 and newer).

It states that the CRV from honda 2007 and newer does, so why wouldn't the fit? We keep the base of our seat securely latched in the center of the backseat and it's as secure if not more secure than when I install it on either side (which I do if I need to fold down one side of the rear seats). You would think this would be same across the board.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by 09blackfit
Having the baby seat handle in the up position while driving completely negates all the safety features of the car seat in the even of a crash. At least that is what I'm told by my wife who's a nurse and had to take a Certified Car Seat Technician Class. Anyone else know about this?

I wouldn't know if she is leading me blindly or not. I just do what she says!
From the car seat manual:

It says: ALWAYS place handle in ONE of the LOCKED positions when using Child Restraint in vehicle.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 09blackfit
After reading the link, does the fit have lower anchors in the center of the back seat that are 11 inches apart?
There are two sets of anchors, each meant to be used in the outboard positions. The inner two anchors are definitely farther than 11 inches apart: I checked last night. Think of it this way - if a car seat was meant to be anchored in the middle, there would be a dedicated set of anchors for the center.

My guess is that the recommendation not to use the center anchors comes from a lack of testing of both the seat and the anchors being used in that manner. The seat belt is just as good, it's just somewhat harder to install a car seat properly with the belt.

As far as the handle up or down, I've heard (1) down handle is one more thing that can absorb the blow in a crash, (2) up handle can break in a crash and impale the child, (3) child can smack into the up handle, which in my mind seems unlikely if the child is properly restrained and the belt is tight. My opinion (just an opinion) is that down is better, although the improved safety/decreased danger is probably pretty small compared to the rest of the car seat being installed properly.

I think the infant car seat is a pretty minor installation issue compared to fitting the rear facing convertible car seat, though.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
Put passenger seat fully forward, baby seat behind it, your GF behind you as driver? Not only do you get someone back with the kid who can keep an eye on it, but it solves the space problem too. A little less convenient, but also only a temporary measure.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Our first kid is due around the beginning of October. I recently CFC'd my '93 Pathfinder for a fit. When I went to the dealer, I brought my longboard to make sure I could fit it in the car, not the baby seat. D'oh! Future bad parent here I guess.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by jbooth
Put passenger seat fully forward, baby seat behind it, your GF behind you as driver? Not only do you get someone back with the kid who can keep an eye on it, but it solves the space problem too. A little less convenient, but also only a temporary measure.
Do you have a girlfriend ? I seriously doubt I can make her ride the backseat everytime we go out with the baby.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Here's my curent setup: