2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have you had fixed at a Honda dealership under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evil_s10
I have read about that, but even still I have driven plenty of new cars that do not do that. Im not one that is gonna settle for the "thats normal operation". When I purchased the vehicle they had to jump start it to get it going. The next morning it started up very slowly. I took it in that day and they checked the battery and said it was ok. Being a master certified mercedes benz tech I know this shouldnt be this way. So to the dealer I go when I have the first oil change done.
As a Mercedes tech, knowing that they will just replace any "faulty"--this seems subjective--part with the same "faulty" part, why wouldn't you fix the problem yourself?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
heh, I might try this week. It sounds like it might be common enough they've had to deal with it before, or there might be a service bulletin about a solution.

In the meantime I'm going to try to have someone else drive so I can localize the noise to the A-pillar trim or the dash. Might even be the windshield flexing.

Whoever finds out first, be sure to post the solution here!
I had this issue and it was the trim outside the windshield. At higher speeds the wind force would make it tap the corner of the glass. A dab of silicone caulk under the edge of that small trim piece solved it for me.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
^^^^ Do you think you could take a picture of exactly what piece of trim you are talking about?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Nevermind, I just went and looked outside...that piece is significantly less sturdy than the driver's side because the wiper goes into it...

I know what you are talking about--I'm going to try it later and see if that helps.
It wiggles a lot so I think you may be right.

We'll see.
Thank you.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
I had this issue and it was the trim outside the windshield. At higher speeds the wind force would make it tap the corner of the glass. A dab of silicone caulk under the edge of that small trim piece solved it for me.
They seem pretty tight to the windshield... the only place it has any give is around "A." Is that where you put silicone?

Old 10-03-2009, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
Section A is what is loose on mine...has tons of give.
I was thinking of getting some thin black rubber tubing, cut in half and slide it on that edge. What do you think?

Maybe we could try it...either you or me, or both...tomorrow and report back (depending on how busy I am--I'll try to run to lowes and grab some in the morning).
But I won't know if it works until tomorrow night (haha...it only does it on cooler nights).

Old 10-03-2009, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Score one for the Canadians. Next Labatts is on me, Virtual.

Removed my handy popsicle stick from the inside where it only provided a placebo effect and put it outside. Took the Fit to improbable speeds up I75 and the "crackle rattle" only started to tick at, well I'd rather not say. And then it was more of a feeble creaking sound. I'll retrofit this tomorrow with some pure GE silicone from Home Depot. I think a shade of beige would look nice. (Actually clear, and mask the exposed plastic with masking tape before applying underneath the ornery piece of trim. Any excess on the glass will be taken off with a razor).

Here's my first "mod":

Old 10-03-2009, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Section A is what is loose on mine...has tons of give.
I was thinking of getting some thin black rubber tubing, cut in half and slide it on that edge. What do you think?

Maybe we could try it...either you or me, or both...tomorrow and report back (depending on how busy I am--I'll try to run to lowes and grab some in the morning).
But I won't know if it works until tomorrow night (haha...it only does it on cooler nights).
Popsicle sticks work better. Seriously though, go with pure silicone adhesive and mask the plastic that's exposed to air. Just wedge the trim up with a knife and push the silicone under with a finger. Once dry scrape off the excess with a razor blade. Pure silicone adhesive does not clean up with water, or just about anything, so be careful what you get it on...

Old 10-03-2009, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Hmm...the silicon thing makes me nervous...I'm not very steady with the hand.

I'm glad to hear that your popsicle stick proved that be the problem.

I'm so stoked...off to take the felt out from the interior panel trim, and install outside temporarily. I'll try it tomorrow morning just to see if I can get the noise to work.

Hey Steve, I'm thinking you need to do a DIY with lots of pics. I'm feeling other people (including me) are going to want to see you do this...so they can *cough* feel more confident about it...cough.

I also have a feeling this will be a problem for others in the future...

Old 10-03-2009, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah it's the "A" part in the picture and that popsicle stick is the right idea. I used clear silicone under that "A" piece completely unseen after done.

Thanks for the offer of the Labatts.

Last edited by Virtual; 10-03-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member

Hey Steve, I'm thinking you need to do a DIY with lots of pics. I'm feeling other people (including me) are going to want to see you do this...so they can *cough* feel more confident about it...cough.

I also have a feeling this will be a problem for others in the future...
um OK. More pics tomorrow. It'll also come in handy when you need to repair the grout around the shower. Unsteady hands are what masking tape is for. Also, while silicone is a pretty good adhesive, it'll still peal off if the windshield ever needs replacing, etc. Don't use superglue or other glues...

Old 10-03-2009, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Steve--

I know that I'm a complete dork (sorry)...I just don't want to mess it up. I'm very good at that. I would just like to see exactly how you get the bead in there...I can't seem to pull mine up far enough, and I'm still wondering about the edge rattling--because if there is none sticking out, I am afraid the edge might still rattle.

I know, just tell me to shut up...please.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by sl1pg8r
i'm noticing the my drivers side window rattles over bumbs. the passanger side does not do this. i looked at it and it seems to have some front to back play. would this be covered under warranty?
It happens to mine too! (have my fit about a year)
On my driverside and both rear windows... if I roll the window up to 3/4, it will rattle over the bumps. I tested all the windows are not holding "tight" inside the door panels! Except the passenger side!

Can it be fixed under warranty? Anyone can help?

Thanks much.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:43 AM
gwh
fuel injector replaced at 35 miles, every thing fine since. 22000 miles now,9 months.
(knock on wood).

Old 10-03-2009, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Steve--

I know that I'm a complete dork (sorry)...I just don't want to mess it up. I'm very good at that. I would just like to see exactly how you get the bead in there...I can't seem to pull mine up far enough, and I'm still wondering about the edge rattling--because if there is none sticking out, I am afraid the edge might still rattle.

I know, just tell me to shut up...please.
PM'd you a pictograph of the job. Still haven't test driven it to know if it was a righteous fix. I'll let you know tomorrow, and if you think the pics are a help we can post a link to them. Cheers!

Old 10-03-2009, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Steve, thanks for the photographs---

Ok Steve, took a look at how you pull the trim out, and I pulled mine out pretty easily. I'm going to go get some of the silicon and tape tonight or tomorrow and see if I can fix her up.

Let me know if this fixes it completely for you.

I think you should make a new thread with DIY as I think this problem will continue to arise and be noticed. ;-)

+rep btw.

Last edited by Btrthnezr3; 10-03-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Steve, thanks for the photographs---

Ok Steve, took a look at how you pull the trim out, and I pulled mine out pretty easily. I'm going to go get some of the silicon and tape tonight or tomorrow and see if I can fix her up.

Let me know if this fixes it completely for you.

I think you should make a new thread with DIY as I think this problem will continue to arise and be noticed. ;-)

+rep btw.
I hope this solves it. Know by morning. Don't be tempted to use a stronger glue than GE Silicone. I think the trim has to come off for engine maintenance; epoxy or "liquid nails" might force them to break the plastic rather than just pulling it off.

If it works it'll save me a trip to the shrink. It was giving me nightmares.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, Yes...that noise was KILLING me from the inside.

I talked to a Honda Parts friend just a bit ago.
He said that piece is held on by a clip, that most likely will break with complete removal--but the piece (I think with clip included) is only around 10 bucks or so.

In order to try for a more dealer friendly solution (i.e. something he can do at his dealership if someone comes in with the same problem)...I am going to try some of the foam tape on that extra inch or so and then on that top ledge where it meets the top of the fender.

I'll let you know how that works (tomorrow). If it does not, I will be doing exactly as you did Steve.

Wow, I cannot express how grateful I am for your help!! Thank you thank you thank you!
And thank you to my new favorite Canadian, Virtual! You are thebomb.com/yourmom

Last edited by Btrthnezr3; 10-03-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
BTW...this piece is called the "Passenger Hood Hinge Cover"

untitled-1.jpg?t=1254618177

Last edited by Btrthnezr3; 10-03-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Glad I could be of help. Cool diagram btw.

Quick Reply: What have you had fixed at a Honda dealership under warranty?