2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Roof top Racks

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by therealrico
Well you are not a typical user and so I guess this probably wouldn't be right for you. First off do you actually use your roof rack for all 110k miles, if so than you probably would want a more durable roof rack. But for the majority of users such as say a weekend snowboarder they aren't going to carry their snowboard with them all the time.

So this type of rack is great because when they do need it they can slap it on, and then take it right off. And when they are driving during the week and not using their roof rack, it isn't on their car affecting gas mileage, as well as getting wear and tear from the weather, and plus you don't have to deal with the noise.

It is also good in addition with other racks such as this example. Say you have a rack that carriers three pairs of skis on one side, and two snowboards on the other side. Well say you have three or four passengers in the car and they all snowboard. You ran out of room on the rack, and you can't put the seats down because of the passengers. Well you can throw this thing on really quick, and you are good to go. It is really small so you can store it in your tire well, or in the truck and it doesn't get in the way.

For your situation maybe it isn't practical, but I don't think it is common for most people to put 110 miles on the car with their rack. Bare in mind I mean actually using the rack to carry something for 110k miles, not just having on their car for all those miles.
If you notice he's Canadian so when he said:
how would a 120 roof rack handle doing 110k
I think he meant 110 km per hour.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
Inno

I have an Inno rack from orsdirect.com. Inno appears to be Japan's local rack company. The mounting is a bit "universal" and not quite as clean looking as a Yakima I saw on a Fit, but I personally didn't like the way the Yakima feet contact the roof way outboard where there's a steep slope above the windows. Statics 101 says that effectively puts a larger load on the sheetmetal. I'm happy with the Inno for the price, which is a little lower than Yakima and Thule. I posted a review of the rack on the orsdirect website as well as paddling.net. It takes all Thule accessories. More info:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...tml#post752762

Just another option. Yakima, Thule and Inno all look like good products.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
I've got both yakima and thule roof racks (one for the 93 Integra, one for the 2000 GS-R). I've also got the Ski and upright attachments for the the thule (that I've converted for use on the yakima) I paid for each of the racks about $200 ( I did need a short roof kit for the Integras and also had the fairing). The cargo box I have was about $100 and the bike and ski rack attachments combined were about $250. i don't know where anyone is going to get a decent rack for $120 US.

I need to get the Q-clips for the FIT to get the Yakima on the roof. Winter is coming here in VT and ski season is almost upon us. I need to get a bigger cargo box.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 11-06-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Update - looks like orsdirect doesn't sell Inno any more. There are other retailers, but if ORS dropped them it's a bad trend for availability of parts and fit kits in the future.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:19 PM
I think people are getting confused with what I am saying, or I am just not being clear enough. The rack I am talking about isn't a complete rack system. it only carries two snowboards, and yes it does work, and it works really well for 120 bucks. I know because I Have had this product for years. It is simply the easiest to use most simple snowboard I rack I have ever used period.

Once again check out the video and you will see what I am talking about

YouTube - How to put on and take off the window mounted snowboard rack.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:44 AM
i recently got a yakima rack, only because i already had attachments from yakima and i didn't want to mix and match.
installing the q towers was easier than expected, although my jaw dropped when i first saw the installation guide in the box. installation is most easy with an extra hand from a buddy that's tall.
yakima's q clips for the fit has minimal contact with the body but holds the towers great, and i can shake the car back and forth by the crossbars and it stays planted. quite an investment for those who love the outdoors, or who hit the slopes all the time like myself.
Name:  IMG_0722.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  59.7 KB

Old 11-08-2009, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
Another Portable Roof Rack

Another portable roof rack option:

YouTube - HandiRack - The World's First Inflatable Roof Rack

I have no comment about the roof rack, I just like watching the video.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:55 AM
Originally Posted by Ultrawolf
Another portable roof rack option:

YouTube - HandiRack - The World's First Inflatable Roof Rack

I have no comment about the roof rack, I just like watching the video.

i enjoyed :35 of the video

how much did everyone's MPG decrease when having a rack?
me: with fairing, i went from about 37 to about 32...per on-board computer. HWY mileage suffered, while city mileage stayed same.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 90 DGRZ
i enjoyed :35 of the video

how much did everyone's MPG decrease when having a rack?
me: with fairing, i went from about 37 to about 32...per on-board computer. HWY mileage suffered, while city mileage stayed same.
I haven't got the rack on yet (need to pick up the Q clips for this car) but with my Integra, I lost about 3-4mpg. Once I took off the Fairing, I was back up to normal. I used a few sets of "wind Jammers" from Yakima to kill the Howl of round bars. didn't like the look without the fairing as much though.

~SB

Old 11-09-2009, 03:53 PM
wait...so you get BETTER mpg withOUT the fairing?!?!! what the heck lol.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
I haven't got the rack on yet (need to pick up the Q clips for this car) but with my Integra, I lost about 3-4mpg. Once I took off the Fairing, I was back up to normal. I used a few sets of "wind Jammers" from Yakima to kill the Howl of round bars. didn't like the look without the fairing as much though.

~SB
How many "wind jammers" did you use? I have 2 bike mounts and I think I would have to fill the space entirely to stop the noise.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
wait...so you get BETTER mpg withOUT the fairing?!?!! what the heck lol.
Yup.. The Fairing is not for aerodynamics but for noise reduction. Think of a pickup truck bed . you have an upright area (the cab) followed by a straight down empty area (the Bed). Air rushing up and over the top will pull air from behind the fairing and cause turbulance/vacuum pulling backwards.
Originally Posted by runbikerun
How many "wind jammers" did you use? I have 2 bike mounts and I think I would have to fill the space entirely to stop the noise.
I have two but could definitely use more. The jammers are only 6-8" long (wide) and you NEED one for at least each of the bars. I'd recommend two for each of the bars. I've got a rigged Thule "big Mouth" bike rack that sits on the top of my yakima rack because Yakima had nothing that would work well with my bike. (canondale Jekyll w/lefty - no right fork so I can't use a Fork mount) With Two big Mouths on, I can fit one jammer between them in the front and rear. With the ski rack on, I can fit one f/r to one side. when i have nothing on (like when using the cargo carrier to visit the in-laws, I have nothing (but then drive around down there with two on to help kill the wind noise.)

Side Note. going by memory on this as it's been 2+ years since I've had the rack on a car - use the Ridgeline for most all traveling/transport.

~SB

Old 11-10-2009, 11:12 AM
i recently got a yakima rack, only because i already had attachments from yakima and i didn't want to mix and match.
installing the q towers was easier than expected, although my jaw dropped when i first saw the installation guide in the box. installation is most easy with an extra hand from a buddy that's tall.
yakima's q clips for the fit has minimal contact with the body but holds the towers great, and i can shake the car back and forth by the crossbars and it stays planted. quite an investment for those who love the outdoors, or who hit the slopes all the time like myself.
I really like the look of your Fit. Do you mind sharing how much I should expect to pay for a rack system like yours? Also, do you have Mugen side spoilers on your car? Love it!

Old 11-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Hey Specboy,

This might be alittle off topic but how did the roof rack affect the ride ? as far as handling and gas mileage. I see that you're in Vermont, do you use snow tires too ? I'm thinking of getting the yakima rack and going snowboarding in Vermont but have been hesitant since I'm not sure if the car will be all that great in the snow. Thanks

Old 11-11-2009, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MLL20
Hey Specboy,

This might be alittle off topic but how did the roof rack affect the ride ? as far as handling and gas mileage. I see that you're in Vermont, do you use snow tires too ? I'm thinking of getting the yakima rack and going snowboarding in Vermont but have been hesitant since I'm not sure if the car will be all that great in the snow. Thanks
Cherry Hill NJ... Warren twp (somerset co.) native here.

No change to the ride quality. With the bikes up there, the Integra was bounced around a little more by trucks passing by but nothing with the skis. Just noisier than without it.

I run dedicated snows on our FWD cars and have absolutely no problems here and I commute about 26 miles each direction to work. The Winters are very different from NJ winters. NJ gets primarily slush on the roads shortly after a decent snowfall and that either collects, or freezes and becomes Ice. Here, The road I live on turns white in mid/late January and stays completely snow covered until late March/Early April. It is hard packed snow and very easy to drive on. Most of the non-main roads are the same and you can easily drive 45-50mph safely with a decent set of snow tires (no need for studding). Adding a little extra room between you and the next car and planning a head of turns, stops, etc... is a must but there are a ton of people up here with FWD cars (although VT is the Subaru and CRV capital of the world).

As far as coming up to visit VT, there's no problems with snow here as the plow drivers must train first in formula one cars and then get to drive trucks... they run with both plows down (front and right side) anywhere up to 50mph to get the snow off the road for the next storm. I used to bring the Integra GS-R (same weight/More HP) running Yokohama All seasons up here on vacations until we moved here permanantly. I then switched to dedicated snows as visiting is different from living here. My wife's civic coupe did fine with initially with the Dunlop SP Sport A/S tires before we switched to Snows for her too. Now we've got the Fit and Ridgeline so this year will be the first winter in the FIT and 5th in the Ridge. Still need Snows for the Fit - they ain't cheap.

The biggest piece of advice when coming up here is to take it easy and drop the stereotypical Jersey driving attitude. - I can say it, I moved out of NJ after 28 years and Just because the car will physically fit, doesn't mean it should be shoehorned in there.

Take it easy and enjoy the scenery

~SB

Old 11-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by rockstar4hire
I really like the look of your Fit. Do you mind sharing how much I should expect to pay for a rack system like yours? Also, do you have Mugen side spoilers on your car? Love it!
thanks!!!
nope, stock sideskirts haha.

as for the rack, i was lucky because i already had few of the attachments i needed, i just had to buy fit-specific items to make it all work and a couple other things. everything together new would probably be about 4-500 bucks. (q towers, q clips, crossbars, powderhound SE snowboard/ski attachment, fairing, and locks so u don't get jacked)

for exact pricing, u can put ur rack together online at orsracksdirect.com.
...but some items u can get in pretty good condition for dirt cheap on ebay. mix and match and you'll get away with about 2-300 bucks.

Last edited by 90 DGRZ; 11-11-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the reply, probably going to get a yakima rack. Thanks.

Originally Posted by specboy
Cherry Hill NJ... Warren twp (somerset co.) native here.

No change to the ride quality. With the bikes up there, the Integra was bounced around a little more by trucks passing by but nothing with the skis. Just noisier than without it.

I run dedicated snows on our FWD cars and have absolutely no problems here and I commute about 26 miles each direction to work. The Winters are very different from NJ winters. NJ gets primarily slush on the roads shortly after a decent snowfall and that either collects, or freezes and becomes Ice. Here, The road I live on turns white in mid/late January and stays completely snow covered until late March/Early April. It is hard packed snow and very easy to drive on. Most of the non-main roads are the same and you can easily drive 45-50mph safely with a decent set of snow tires (no need for studding). Adding a little extra room between you and the next car and planning a head of turns, stops, etc... is a must but there are a ton of people up here with FWD cars (although VT is the Subaru and CRV capital of the world).

As far as coming up to visit VT, there's no problems with snow here as the plow drivers must train first in formula one cars and then get to drive trucks... they run with both plows down (front and right side) anywhere up to 50mph to get the snow off the road for the next storm. I used to bring the Integra GS-R (same weight/More HP) running Yokohama All seasons up here on vacations until we moved here permanantly. I then switched to dedicated snows as visiting is different from living here. My wife's civic coupe did fine with initially with the Dunlop SP Sport A/S tires before we switched to Snows for her too. Now we've got the Fit and Ridgeline so this year will be the first winter in the FIT and 5th in the Ridge. Still need Snows for the Fit - they ain't cheap.

The biggest piece of advice when coming up here is to take it easy and drop the stereotypical Jersey driving attitude. - I can say it, I moved out of NJ after 28 years and Just because the car will physically fit, doesn't mean it should be shoehorned in there.

Take it easy and enjoy the scenery

~SB