2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSB/Software Update for Inaccurate MPG Display

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ultrawolf
Forgot to mention, but adding to the strangness, this same dealer successfully updated my wife's '09 Fit back in March without any issues.
That is interesting indeed. Let us know the outcome of this one. I wonder what kind of glitch would cause this.

Cheers.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by photorealism
I went in to a local dealership today (not where I bought my Fit) with my sister, who drove her Civic in to get a fix for her SRS recall. I made an appointment for myself as well, though the person on the phone didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I brought the TSB printout with me. The service guy started giving me a lecture about how the MPG display can't be accurate due to difference in driving conditions, and started telling me how to "properly" calculate MPG by dividing # of miles driven by # of gallons filled. I told him I already do that and the display is always off by at least 10%. He looked at me like he didn't believe me but said he was willing to enter my VIN into the computer to see if I needed it. My VIN did not show that I needed an update (I later realized it actually meant there were no recalls for my car; TSB is not a recall). Frustrated, I drove my sister home.

At home, I printed out my fuel logs which showed my mpg display numbers as well. When I went back to Honda for my sister's car, I told the service guy that I wanted to discuss this issue further. I showed him my fuel logs and his tone immediately changed. "We'll get this fixed right away," he said and had my car taken in. He came out to the waiting room and explained to me that they were now logging onto Honda's website and downloading the update onto their laptops so they can install it onto my car. I guess I was the first person to request this. Also shows how much a fuel log helps.

BTW, the dealership was Kolbe Honda in Northridge,CA.

9 months after the TSB came out and this is still an issue. :?
I'd say you'll need to give it a few years for everyone in most dealerships to really fully recognize the issue if it ever is really recognized - I doubt it.

Some things that will add up.
  • This affects only 1 year of this generation... enough vehicles but not too many.
  • It's a TSB so it's not going to make waves like a recall and owners don't get notified like they do with recalls.
  • The fact that the fit goes for 10K between oil changes mean many fits will only be in once/year for service and most people will wait until a regularly scheduled service to have it done. (the only reason I go 2x/year is Oil change and State inspection - free for me).
  • How many people actually even know it is off? - these are the people that probably track their mileage.
  • What is the percentage of people that actually care enough to have it fixed?
  • what is the turnover rate of service reps (not techs - because we practically never talk to them)
End result of all the above is.... (3/4 of the people here on FF who own a 2009 GE8) aka... not many. There's probably more dealerships out there than there are people who care about the issue. and if everyone who cared went to a different dealership, we might end up with one Service Rep and one Service Mgr. per dealership who has a clue that this even exists. That leaves alot of people in the dark.

This is one issue that will likely be an uphill battle for everyone who goes in. Documentation in hand will always be necessary (including their own TSB) to make the transition easier.

~SB

Old 08-08-2010, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
I had mine updated last Thur when I went in for first service. Service guy had not heard of it but kept clicking till he found it and they did it. Since then I have forgotten to look at it and see what it is showing.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Update done in May

I had my update done May 12th. Before the update my gauge averaged 12.8% high from the calculated mileage over about 7,000 miles. After the update the gauge is averaging 3.2% high over about 3,500 miles.

It shows a definite improvement but is still not as close as it should be.

I had to go in the second time to get the reflash completed. The first time I was in the dealership said they couldn't do it because their "tool" was defective and wouldn't communicate with my car. They called about 10 days later when they got things working properly. I took in all my mileage documentation and a copy of the TSB. The dealership was very cooperative and didn't balk at taking care of the TSB.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:29 PM
2- fits, 2 different dealerships

We have 2 '09 fits. The first one went into the dealer, I told them about the tsb, and they immediately said that it didn't apply to my car. (This was on the phone) I calmly asked them how do they know it doesn't apply to my car, when the tsb says it applies to all 2009 fits? (This was before any newer fits were out that already has the new firmware) I talked to this service adviser for a bit, and kept pushing back - they transferred me to a another service adviser, who still tried to explain things to me, and talk me out of it - (Stupid customer - don't tell us what needs to be done to YOUR car!!) but said that they would take a look at it. The service was done, I complained about the poor service received from the service dep't., no response back from anyone at the dealer.

2nd fit. Different dealer. Way different experience. Went in for reg. service and talked to the service rep. Brought the tsb, (did for the first one too) and they did the service without any hassle.

There shouldn't be any hassle to get this done.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Cool I realize...

This doesn't apply to 2010 Fits, but the annoying thing about my gauge is that it normally starts off high, but then I "lose" mileage until the fillup then it is just about right...say it starts at 34-35 shortly after filling up...but creeps down to 29-31 by the time I go to fill it up again...It is not enough to worry about, but it is annoying anyway!