2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

PRM intake install FAIL!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
MAFs are pretty delicate. Not saying you were rough with it, but if it were dropped or banged that might cause a failure.
I asked my buddy about this and he says he doesn't remember it falling so I'm going to have him come over tonight and we'll install his MAF and see if that changes anything. I'm actually to the point where I don't think there's anything wrong with the intake it's something else related to my car.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bmxman
I asked my buddy about this and he says he doesn't remember it falling so I'm going to have him come over tonight and we'll install his MAF and see if that changes anything. I'm actually to the point where I don't think there's anything wrong with the intake it's something else related to my car.
i wouldn't rule out the intake just yet.. not all things are perfect.

many people are just so freaken offensive about the PRM intake thing. idk why.. so don't let the users here get to you. To diagnose the problem you gotta free yourself from bias and allow all possibilities..

i hated how everyone here just came so quickly to defend PRM... as if it was some kind of god intake... but its heavily advertised here and PRM makes a good business here so its only natural to see propaganda like this where everyone believes in something that is not officially tested by 3rd party affiliations with a side by side comparison.

i came close to buying PRM myself.. and i truely hate PRM because of the type of people here that support PRM with out real concrete proof of the performance people claim it has... so i personaly did not buy RPM for that reason.. but I don't wanna talk trash about PRM either.. but man.. i hope its something like the intake and not something within the car...

I would rather have an intake defect then a sensor or something internal with the car being the corporate of this problem.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
oh no worries I only posted that because I have tried everything I can think of to test the intake. I mean one side of the tube isn't exactly round so I thought I might have a leak but after pressure testing it I found that wasn't the problem. All the couplers look solid and seal well. I mean it's a basic tube and filter so there's not much to go wrong. I did think maybe the MAF positioning was off but couldn't find anyone else who had this issue.

I'm starting to lean towards MAF damage because when I asked my friend if he dropped or damamged the MAF sensor he responded " I don't think so"...not very reassuring in my mind.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Good luck with this this weekend. Let us know what ya find out!

Old 05-21-2010, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
i wouldn't rule out the intake just yet.. not all things are perfect.

many people are just so freaken offensive about the PRM intake thing. idk why.. so don't let the users here get to you. To diagnose the problem you gotta free yourself from bias and allow all possibilities..

i hated how everyone here just came so quickly to defend PRM... as if it was some kind of god intake... but its heavily advertised here and PRM makes a good business here so its only natural to see propaganda like this where everyone believes in something that is not officially tested by 3rd party affiliations with a side by side comparison.

i came close to buying PRM myself.. and i truely hate PRM because of the type of people here that support PRM with out real concrete proof of the performance people claim it has... so i personaly did not buy RPM for that reason.. but I don't wanna talk trash about PRM either.. but man.. i hope its something like the intake and not something within the car...

I would rather have an intake defect then a sensor or something internal with the car being the corporate of this problem.
I don't think any people were being overly defensive. PRM users love the product for a reason. It's relatively cheap, and a great piece. You'll notice that this is the first intake someone has had a problem with, so it's evident that PRM does not have a quality control issue. It's possible that this one might be defective, but I think for the most part people were trying to help bmx troubleshoot.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I was just going to ignore that guy, but you approached it well.

To not buy something because there are large amounts of unsolicited support for it seems backwards.

No one is paying me, and I got no special offer if I made a positive post on the product. I have had several cars, and done an intake on all of them. This is my first PRM intake, and they make a great product. I plan to order another with whatever sports car I buy after I pay the Fit off.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Well after trying a few different things looks like I have a bad MAF sensor. I swapped in my buddies and the car fired up fine and drove with no issues. It appears the stock box may have been dropped with the MAF still in it. That's about the only thing we could come up with.

The PRM really has a nice sound...me likey
Thanks to all those who tried to help out...to me that's exactly what these forums are for.

Last edited by bmxman; 05-22-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
Well after trying a few different things looks like I have a bad MAF sensor. I swapped in my buddies and the car fired up fine and drove with no issues. It appears the stock box may have been dropped with the MAF still in it. That's about the only thing we could come up with.

The PRM really has a nice sound...me likey
Thanks to all those who tried to help out...to me that's exactly what these forums are for.
Ouch... The sensor is pretty expensive... I remember people saying somewhere around $100 range... Sorry to hear that bro

Old 05-22-2010, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jkskrn
Ouch... The sensor is pretty expensive... I remember people saying somewhere around $100 range... Sorry to hear that bro
no worries...wreckers entire intake assembly with MAF $50

Old 05-22-2010, 04:27 AM
not under warranty?

Old 05-22-2010, 06:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tougeFA5
not under warranty?
Not if it was dropped.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
If it doesn't look like it was dropped then I'd take it in to the dealership. Just put te stock intake on first.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 08_Nick_Fit
If it doesn't look like it was dropped then I'd take it in to the dealership. Just put te stock intake on first.
NO.... Why do people think this is ok?

OP, Do the right thing and look for a wrecked Fit somewhere or go to the dealer and take the hit. Live & Learn... and don't jack the price of my next Honda up because of a false warranty claim.

~SB

Old 05-22-2010, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Live & Learn... and don't jack the price of my next Honda up because of a false warranty claim.
Bravo... bravo!

Old 05-22-2010, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member

OP, Do the right thing and look for a wrecked Fit somewhere or go to the dealer and take the hit. Live & Learn... and don't jack the price of my next Honda up because of a false warranty claim.

~SB
Thanks for that. There is right and wrong.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
Thanks for that. There is right and wrong.
and some area in between

Old 05-22-2010, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
that gray area is shady. just do what you think is ethical. i knew it wasnt the intake itself, i wonder how you damaged the sensor while removing the stock box.

anyways good luck in finding a new sensor so you can enjoy the new intake.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member

~SB
I already posted what I did. I went to the wreckers and bought one for $50.

You should have seen the Fit I pulled it off of. Whole rear section was just like an accordion. I had a moment of silence for my fallen brethren.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
I already posted what I did. I went to the wreckers and bought one for $50.

You should have seen the Fit I pulled it off of. Whole rear section was just like an accordion. I had a moment of silence for my fallen brethren.
Good for you. For both picking up the Wrecked one AND... For the moment of silence.

~SB