2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Light Switch Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
Light Switch Problem?

I have an 08 Fit MT Sport. I've had this problem since new but could not narrow the problem down until recently. Maybe others have had this defect. First, I turn my lights on low beam all the time in all my cars for safety . I noticed that at times my high beam blue light on the panel would light for no reason on it's own. I also checked and found that, indeed, the high beams were on, and that the problem was not only on the panel.

I had a hard time duplicating the problem, until I came upon the sequence. 1. The low beams are on. 2. I have the turn signal in a "right" turn. The error does not occur on the left turn. 3. In the turn the car gets jostled by a small bump in the road. 4. The high beams go on.

I can artificially create the problem by just turning on the low beams, putting the switch in the right turn, and jiggling the switch lever.

To clear up some questions.... the high beam panel light comes on and the beams actually go to high beam, but the light switch is still in the low beam position. By barely touching the switch in the right turn, the high beams can be turned off and on "without" going into the high beam detent.

The car is still in warranty so I'll have it repaired. But, maybe the flaw is with the switch and others have the same problem. Like I said, the problem had occurred since it was new and now I have 20k miles.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
New headlight switch time

Old 06-06-2010, 09:06 PM
ive had the same problem with my girl's fit you touch the turn signal switch forward alittle bit and it makes the high beams go on . im always flashing people with the high beams when i turn ... i didnt know if anyone else had this problem ? im glad to see someone does maybe we can get a recall or something to get it fixed ..

Old 06-07-2010, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitvigor
ive had the same problem with my girl's fit you touch the turn signal switch forward alittle bit and it makes the high beams go on . im always flashing people with the high beams when i turn ... i didnt know if anyone else had this problem ? im glad to see someone does maybe we can get a recall or something to get it fixed ..
I brought it to the dealer. There is no recall right now. I'll have it fixed by Honda when I have the time to bring it in for this, and the recall of the door switch. I'm surprised you're the only one who says they have this problem????? It has to be a switch production defect... mine was there from the first week I bought it.... two years ago. It took a while to figure out the problem, since it occurred unexpectedly, a various times.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:02 AM
If you have an 08 Fit and live in the US this should be in the 1st Gen Forums. State side the 09-10 (2nd Gen's) are different than the 08's so more in likely we will not have the same issue. I would post this in the 1st Gen...someone might have had a similar issue and even maybe a fix.
I personally think the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen thread header should just say only (GD) and (GE). It's a bit confusing for us state side when we see (GD 01-08) and (GE 08-) when actually the 2nd Gen is only for 09-10+
I wish Fit Freak would fix that.
Good luck

Last edited by Committobefit08; 06-07-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:48 AM
Turn right and high beams engage

I see some posts where the high beams kicked on when making a right turn, but no one has posted whether or not they got it repaired. I took my wife's Fit in twice now and the dealer still hasn't solved the issue. I thought it might be related to the low beam recall, but that didn't fix it. Any ideas I can pass along to the repairman would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance fellow Fit Freaks.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
MIne Works Now

I had my switch exchanged months ago because of this defect. The new switch no longer has the same problem. They did not put the original type switch back in... it is much heavier looking... much like the one in my 09 Fit. I just got the recall notice again on this switch. I still have to go to the dealer to see if the switch I got before the recall is now the proper one. So far, it has worked perfectly.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think it's a "defect", just a characteristic, but my '10 is rather easy to push the signal lever forward when using it, thus turning the bright lights on. It's a little embarrassing as I try to drive competently . Maybe there should be a stronger resistance to pushing forward.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Sloppiness

Originally Posted by rprpclark
I don't think it's a "defect", just a characteristic, but my '10 is rather easy to push the signal lever forward when using it, thus turning the bright lights on. It's a little embarrassing as I try to drive competently . Maybe there should be a stronger resistance to pushing forward.
I can't say anything about the '10. I have an '08 and an '09. My '08 didn't have the "swishy", easy to move lever until early, but not new. I always drive with my lights on and since it does not have the auto-lights of my '09, I noticed it was having regular problems after a few thousand miles and narrowed it down in a few months. The control was fairly firm up when it was new. I had it replaced, I talked with the mechanic who told me that the contacts for the lights were dislodging and moving around slightly and lights changing to high beams for no reason other than sloppiness and road bumps. Apparently, there are instances,now, where all the head lights go out at once. Sounds real dangerous to me.

I didn't see the switch taken apart, but the sloppiness was like other electrical switches that I have had go bad with me... including house light switches.

My '09' shows no sloppiness at 16,000 miles and has a much firmer snap to it than the original '08. The shaft on the '08 lever was also much smaller in diameter to the '09... not that other '09s could have been made with the bad switch also, since I replaced my '08s switch in mid 2010.

Since there is a new recall, I'll be finding out if the one that I now have in my '08 is the latest design.

Last edited by einstein77; 02-10-2011 at 01:59 PM.