2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chick car vs. chick magnet

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mdbrich
Manhood is not what you drive, that's in your pants

and I thought manhood was how you conducted yourself.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bmxman
and I thought manhood was how you conducted yourself.
As mdbrich said, "Manhood is in your pants." And, I would add, "it's called a wallet."

Old 05-28-2010, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Let's be honest?

Listen, I'm over 40. I don't really care what stereotypes get attached to automobiles. People tie ego, image and a lot of things that have nothing to do with machinery and transportation into their automobile. Either way, it's fine.

But gentlemen...let's be honest. Not Politically Correct. If Honda started to market The Fit in the US with advertising as overtly feminine as that presented by the OP, despite the "logic" that The Fit would still be the same vehicle I enjoy today, I can't honestly say it wouldn't bother me.

Yes, it doesn't matter. But if The Fit was commonly sold in shades of Pink? If it became marketed as the latest "mobile fashion accessory" for young women?

I'm just being honest...outside the bounds of ideal political and social correctness and saying I think it would bother me. If it became commonly accepted that The Fit was a primarily and almost exclusively a womans car? I think it would bother me in the same way that I carry a wallet...not a purse...

Sure it's just a car. But we do tie ego and image into our choices of cars, clothes, and products.

I think any male that say's it wouldn't bother him if The Fit became marketed or exclusively thought of as a females automobile...is probably just lying to sound politically correct or socially superior.

Excuse me while I belch, adjust my pants and say, I just hope for relative gender neutral marketing....I don't want The Fit to become the next must have fashion accessory of the Paris Hilton crowd.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Yes, it doesn't matter. But if The Fit was commonly sold in shades of Pink? If it became marketed as the latest "mobile fashion accessory" for young women?

I don't want The Fit to become the next must have fashion accessory of the Paris Hilton crowd.
Actually, all the people I've seen who drive pink cars are women who received them by selling massive supplies of Mary Kay beauty products.

I've never seen Elvis' pink Cadillac on the road.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HotIron
I hadn't seen a Metro in years in person until last week. Saw a guy driving one in Lowell on Bridge St. It was salmon and white, and from my vantage point, looked mint.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by nikita
Going way back, the original Mustang was a six cylinder "secretary's car" until Ford realized it had a hit on its hands that sold to all demographics and added performance options. I still remember pink ones sold in 1967.

Going even further back to the 1950's, Buick, Dodge and Cadillac, all big, powerful "macho" cars, came out with special pink editions for the ladies.
Tacitly untrue. The original Mustang had a bit of unfortunate wording in the press packet. The only reference to "secretaries" in the Mustang's press book was a small blurb referring to the top hung, as opposed to floor mounted pedals. This, according to the press book, would make it easier for women in high heels to drive the car. That is it.

The 64 1/2 (Inaugural Run) Mustang was released with U, F, and D code engines. The F Code motor was a 260ci V8 and the D code was a 289ci V8.

I am almost positive, and I'm quite familiar with the range of colors available on GM Muscle, that you couldn't get a Camaro, Chevelle, GTO, 442, GS, Firebird and so on in pink.

Chrysler, however, offered Pink on it's muscle cars as part of the Hi-Impact color group, which also included things like Plum Crazy Purple, SubLime, GoMango, and Top Banana, if you bought a Dodge. Plymouth recieved the same paint codes under different names. The pink was called Panther Pink for Dodge, Moulin Rouge for Plymouth.

Panther Pink Challenger

Moulin Rouge Road Runner

Great collection of examples here. High Impact Performance Mopar Auto Club - Our Rides

EDIT: Cars don't attract chicks. They attract gold diggers. When I had my G35, girls loved it. However, it was a certain type of girl. The type of girl that will suck the chrome off your trailer hitch if she catches a glimpse of your Omega. None of these girls were worth much more than a drunken night and a promise of a phone call. Shame that. I like loud, flashy, obnoxious cars and I hate kind of women they attract.

Last edited by ls2junkie; 05-29-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: I had a point when I started posting. Got lost in Mopar heaven though...