Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Prius vs. Hummer, which is more environmentally friendly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Prius vs. Hummer, which is more environmentally friendly?

found this article off of another forum, its an interesting read even though the author supposedly uses info that is outdated (dont know for sure info seems pretty up to date)

The Recorder

Old 03-22-2007, 09:23 PM
45mpg.. for Prius.. wow.. that is less than 10mpg comparing to Fit.. (more like 15mpg for auto)

BTW Fit is much better car than Scion XB or Aveo.. IMO...

Good points by writer..:D

Old 03-22-2007, 09:44 PM
you are right, logistix, this guy's info is really outdated. his quotes concerning sudbury, ontario are probably 25 years old.
nickel batteries are probably going to be replaced by lithium batteries in the prius in the next generation anyway.

this article seems to be written with an agenda, and a telltale sign might be the fact that the "dust to dust" study was done by a marketing firm, which inevitably was hired by someone to conduct.
my guess is general motors.
he mentions the chevy aveo twice as well, which gets worse mileage than the honda fit, toyota yaris, hyundai accent and kia ro.

not only that, the supposed lifespan of a hummer is 300,000 miles vs. 100,000 miles for the prius? there are plenty of 1st gen prius's with more than 100,000 miles on them still around with the same battery no less.
i wonder where this projection comes from? if you were to drop the hummer's lifespan to 100,000 miles or boost the prius lifespan to 300,000, then the prius's numbers would be better than the hummers
(even with what i expect are skewed stats to begin with)

Last edited by peeker; 03-23-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:39 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Hummer vs Prius Redux: This time to Hummer? I don't think so! - AutoblogGreen

Here is an argument.

Since this thread seems more appropriate for "eco fit" forum and that i'm a newly mod and that's my responsibility, i will plan on moving this thread there. *but* i'll wait to see where this thread goes before I make my final decision

Old 03-23-2007, 08:02 AM
<rant>
Having been born and raised in Sudbury Ontario, I find it amusing that people still have a view of the city of what it was decades ago.
The smoke stack is not what it used to be in terms of belching out pollutants, they take a lot of effort to remove as much as the sulfur as they can now, because they sell it off to other industries that need it as a profit.

Sudbury and surrounding area is a prime outdoorsman paradise, clean lakes, streams, and rivers everywhere, trees everywhere you look (the big bad INCO has worked hard in reforesting the area, and last I heard back when I left in 98 they were over the two million mark by themselves alone...not including what all the other community groups have done over the decades), some of the best blueberries you can ever eat are from Sudbury
</rant>

I have seen the same style argument used by Jeep in the past as well in what they call a dust-to-dust life cycle of a vehicle, which has some point in the sense that the wrangler has very few upfront energy costs associated with it, however the assumption of triple the lifetime versus small cars is how they get their "green" rating. (As ´green´ as they get - the 4x4 Jeep Wrangler)