2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consumer Reports New Car Price Report

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Consumer Reports New Car Price Report

I'm new to the site and shopping for a Fit. In some of the pricing discussions here, a number of people have suggested taking a look at the Consumer Reports New Car Price Report, so I bit the bullet and ordered it. There doesn't seem to be anything too surprising on it.

I printed it to a pdf and wanted to share with anyone else who might be shopping for a Fit.

ConsumerReports.org New Car...pdf

Old 06-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Thanks and perfect timing! I'm going to try and buy a Sport this weekend. Almost bought the CR report this morning. Glad I waited.

However, the dealership I'm buying from doesn't negotiate - they have they're cars priced under MSRP. I wondering if I can use this in anyway to get a lower price.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Knowledge is power.

Just because they say so doesn't mean so. Carry it right in and put it on the table. I landed a 2010 Sport MT for waay under invoice - got lucky. If you begin to bargin you're going to have to hold ground and be prepared to walk. There are other dealers out there ready to take your money - maybe more ready.

This is good info - GOOD LUCK - at least you will know what kind of deal you do get.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Got quoted $15,130 for a 2010 base w/ manual trans and in Blue Sensation Pearl.. not only that but they found a car with no dealer options installed so that's the way I'm going.

I've shopped around to all the Portland, OR Metro dealers.. the impression I'm getting is they have plenty of automatic Fit Sports and Navi Sports are willing to "deal" on those... but the manuals, especially the base, sell fast. Most were north of $16,500 for a BASE manual

Interestingly enough if that Consumer Reports thing is to be believed they'd only make whatever commission Honda pays plus $300.. don't have a problem with that.

I do have a big problem with labor on dealer options... can't tell me it costs $50 to put the all weather floor mats in or $80 to install the no drill splash guards

Old 07-16-2010, 01:14 PM
got my 2010 Sport M/T BSP for $16,500 includes dest.

plus they gave me $1k more for my trade than any other dealer. Which is pretty good since it has a bad carfax, (serious accident a couple years back). Plus it's going to need a timing belt soon & the transmission shudders. Of course my original sales manager gave me this deal got fired.. wonder if it had anything to do w/my sale? oh well.. my Fit should be in any day now..

Last edited by LeafEater; 07-16-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cromulent742
I'm new to the site and shopping for a Fit. In some of the pricing discussions here, a number of people have suggested taking a look at the Consumer Reports New Car Price Report, so I bit the bullet and ordered it. There doesn't seem to be anything too surprising on it.

I printed it to a pdf and wanted to share with anyone else who might be shopping for a Fit.

ConsumerReports.org New Car...pdf

The cardinal rule for purchasing any vehicle is simple:
Get Wholesale price of desired vehicle accurate for mileage and condition from NAPA, Edmunds, Kelly, CR, etc
minus wholesale price of your trade-in accurate for mileage and condition from NAPA, Edmunds, Kelly, etc. Do it like you were inspecting your worst enemies' car.
Add Dealer profit which may vary from zero on a less desireable model to thousands on very desireable models. Typically, its $500 to $1000. Its business, don't expect free.
Supply and demand. Don't worry about zero on a new car, dealer gats 3% anyway. of wholesale. Most times he's grateful you're taking it off their books. Esprcially iuf its a terrible color.
Add costs of purchase: license or license transfer, taxes, and some ridiculous 'dealer charges', really Additional Dealer Profit ($300 is OK, $1500 is from a dealer to avoid), any post buy warranties, etc (unless youre buying a CR clunker, don't buy), or any state or local fees required.
Thats your cost. Don't forget to advise your insurance company immediately. It doesn't hurt to ask what your new insurance is going to cost before buying, you might get a shock stiff enough to forestall the purchase.
Thats it.

Last edited by mahout; 07-16-2010 at 04:00 PM.