2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rear Cargo Cover Rattle FIXED!

Old 07-30-2010, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Rear Cargo Cover Rattle FIXED!

I'm not sure how many of you have a rear cargo cover...I, myself, couldn't do without it (even though I have tint)...but I found that it would rattle over bumps as the edge was hitting some of the ledges, specifically one that was molded into the rear hatch plastics.

I had temporarily fixed this with some foam weather stripping...but with the weather getting hotter, I found that the glue was "melting" and the weather stripping was falling off.

So today I decided I was going to fix this once and for all.

I went to the local auto parts store and purchased this for $3.29

Name:  IMG_4969.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  39.9 KB

Then I cut a slit in it like so
Name:  IMG_4955.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  125.0 KB

I then threaded the tubing onto the "edge" of the hatch cover to create like a rubber bumper that would reduce movement and noise.
Name:  IMG_4959.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  75.3 KB

At first I threaded the tubing the ENTIRE length of the cover but then realized that it was getting caught in the back corners and wouldn't fall down all the way with the hatch closed. I then modified it so that the edges near the seat were covered as well as the back edge...but the sides near the pillar ledges I left alone because a) there are rubber stoppers there already and b) the cover was getting caught with the tubing installed there.

Here's the final product
Name:  IMG_4961.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4963.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  81.3 KB

Here's the "hatch ledge" that was causing most of the noise

And as you can see where I placed the tubing, it will lay right on that hatch ledge.

And NO noise is coming from that cover anymore! This was something simple and easy but had been driving me crazy. There are tons of bumps on the road from home to work due to poor planning of pipe projects by the city. And I would cringe hearing it every morning...now, I don't have to!

I hope this helps someone...although, you may not be rattle/noise sticklers like I am.

Here's how I had it BEFORE I had to trim. I just trimmed where those bumpers were and around the corner in order to get it to sit flush with the hatch closed

Last edited by Btrthnezr3; 07-30-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Nice solution to a problem I didn't even know existed. Don't have the hatch cover.

First time I've seen photos of one BTW. Got me thinking it might be worth it.

Only thing is it's gonna get in the way of my fishing rod, but I guess it works as well with the rears down - one or both.

Did ya bleed cutting the tubing?

K_C_

Old 07-30-2010, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
Hey...one good thing I found with the cover that may work with your fishing rods...
Well, I didn't like the cheap felt "flap" that they included with it and then wanted me to put screws for snaps into my seats, so I just took that sucker off.

With the back seats in full upright position, there is probably a 1.5" gap, enough for poles to fit through, and even in the "recline" one notch, there is a gap that I'm sure a pole could fit through.

I love the cover, couldn't do without it. It keeps that area cooler, makes the interior look cleaner, and I use the top of it to put posterboard or similar stuff that I don't want bent while driving.

Oh, and I'm injury free from this install---which is less than I can say of some others.
Cut the SHIT out of myself modifying my centercaps to fit over the rear hubs. And that was just a few days after I had cut myself on the same finger trying to save a duct tape-trapped screw driver, lol.

Last edited by Btrthnezr3; 07-30-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
hm Ive had my cover on since day one and it has not given me one noise from the back. at least you got it fixed.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Amanda,

some questions for you:

1. did you install the cover yourself? I just bought a cover yesterday and was wondering what's the difficulty on installing it? I downloaded the DIY from college hills honda...

2. with the cargo cover, can you still put the rear seat down and flat?

3. What is the cargo cover made out of? I havent opened my box yet.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2010, 09:22 AM
Btrthnezr3;891306]Hey...one good thing I found with the cover that may work with your fishing rods...
Well, I didn't like the cheap felt "flap" that they included with it and then wanted me to put screws for snaps into my seats, so I just took that sucker off.

With the back seats in full upright position, there is probably a 1.5" gap, enough for poles to fit through, and even in the "recline" one notch, there is a gap that I'm sure a pole could fit through.
I use a six foot ultra light spinning rod. What I do now is to fold passenger rear. Lay rod tip forward through the frnt-pass-seat headrest posts.
With cover in place rod could still go in like that, under the cover.

No need to fasten to rear seats.
Velcro?

Good 'cooler' comment. Looks like a tight fit.

Like Fitcious says, what's it made of. Looks strong.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
Hey the cover is SUPER easy if you don't install the flap.

Otherwise, I think you need a tape measure and something sharp to install the "snaps" for the flap.

I didn't do that part so I'm not too knowledgeable.

I think the cover is better looking and easier to use (don't have to unsnap to lay seats flat) without the flap.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-02-2010, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
what does the snaps have to do with the cargo? i mean, if i do not install those, what am i losing out on? thanks amanda

Old 08-02-2010, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
I love the rear cargo cover! My old Toyota AWD wagon used to have one, so I really was happy to find there was one for the Fit. My Subaru had a cover that was like a shade and soft, so it was useless for keeping things on.
I don't attache the flaps or the strings & have tucked in the strings. This way I can store things on the cover & it stays level and doesn't tilt when you open the hatch.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
I love the rear cargo cover! My old Toyota AWD wagon used to have one, so I really was happy to find there was one for the Fit. My Subaru had a cover that was like a shade and soft, so it was useless for keeping things on.
I don't attache the flaps or the strings & have tucked in the strings. This way I can store things on the cover & it stays level and doesn't tilt when you open the hatch.

can you take a picture of it without the strings and snaps?

Old 08-02-2010, 01:22 AM
how much is the cargo cover? looks good, nice job, on the fix, looks professional

Old 08-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Those fit cargo covers are darn light that it rattles. Hope you fixed them for good

I can understand how Honda doesn't give crap about those type of accessories. My Crosstour came with two of them. Really well built, sturdy and heavy. The outer one already fell off and broke it's mounting nipple. Surprisingly, only 2 mounting nipples holds it... broke one and now it's useless. The inner cover now does not slide into place properly
I knew it from the start... I never liked those rear covers.

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 08-02-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Fitcious
what does the snaps have to do with the cargo? i mean, if i do not install those, what am i losing out on? thanks amanda
There is an flap of fabric that attaches to the back of the seats with snaps. It's there to cover the gap when the seats are not reclined. If you always keep the seats reclined it's not really necessary.

The installation of the snaps is simple, though - the holes are already pre-drilled and the snaps just screw in. You only need the ruler and pin to locate the holes.

The strings just loop over hooks the clip on to the hatch. They can be unhooked easily as-needed.

It's made of some sort of plastic. It probably can't support a TON of weight, but I can say that one day I left my dog in the car for a few min, and when I came back she was laying on the cargo cover sunning herself....so it can at least hold up to 20 lbs

Old 08-02-2010, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
I have had cargo covers for both my GE8 Fits and haven't heard a peep out of them.

I also removed the flaps from my cargo covers. Pain in the butt and looked stupid imo.

Looks like a good fix and who would know that it didn't come that way out of the factory.

Those pics make it look like you have leather seats.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
so basically, the snaps are for the fabric and the fabric is only for looks...to "cover the gaps" so it looks flush? if thats the case, im not gonna bother with it.

haha and it seems like we had to drill the holes..i didnt know the holes were pre-drilled.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I wouldn't mess with it--it's bullshit.

I just didn't want to poke holes in my fabric, especially not through my clazzios.

The flap, to me, is unnecessary.

But I DO love my cover and couldn't live without it.
It is sturdy, and was easy to install--but yeah, it was so light that on certain bumps it would rattle...not a peep out of it now!

Old 01-16-2011, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
I'm not sure how many of you have a rear cargo cover...I, myself, couldn't do without it (even though I have tint)...but I found that it would rattle over bumps as the edge was hitting some of the ledges, specifically one that was molded into the rear hatch plastics.
Wow - thanks a bunch Btrthnezr3! My cover has been driving me crazy since it has turned colder with rattles/creaks. I stopped by my local AutoZone and picked up some similar tubing and installed it tonight. Haven't tried it out, but I am pretty confident this is going to work perfectly.

Now if I could only resolve my Passenger's Side dashboard/pillar rattle/creak, I will be a pretty ecstatic Fit owner again.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:33 AM
Thank you for sharing your find. That rattle has been bugging me.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:46 PM
yo Btrthnezr3, thanks for this info! i'm sorry to up this year old thread. But yeah i'm very thankful. Thos rear cargo covers really rattles on mine and hoping that your solution will at least lessen the noise at least 90%. Its been bugging me so much because i've ridden on some fits and they don't have that darn rattle.

In any case, mine started when i installed leather seat covers. Did it happen the same time as yours? Not sure what is the connection between the two.. Maybe coincidence? Thanks again!