2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

My Turbo Build: Possibly the first USDM GE8 turbo build actually completed

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member
My Turbo Build: Possibly the first USDM GE8 turbo build actually completed

I wrote a huge thread and every thing was accidentally deleted so I'm just going to dump random pics and eventually follow up.

Thanks again for all the support DSM, TC, and others

modified and ported r18 turbo header

^old pics before clocking

Dremmels and plastic don't mix but I made it work

I don't have the patience to type out again just how difficult it is to remove the oil pan. There are even things, like needing to disconnect the shift linkage, that aren't listed in the esm. Just ask yourself how many cars you know of where you even have to remove the drive belt and ac compressor to get the pan out. Not to mention how much I HATE liquid gasket.

Welding is for people who care

too small, make bigger, where hammer? Seriously though, boost creep is scary, almost as scary as how fast you go when you creep all the way up to 16psi and get so glued to your seat you forget to let off the gas and look at your gauges to figure out why you are going so fast, until the ecu finally gets really pissed and shuts you down. I love this engine so much, after all the shit I put her through, she just wont die. L15, no potential, go k20, blah blah blah, bullshit. Nitrous didn't kill her and 1bar wont either.

Anyway, I did actually want to have control over boost levels and stay at 8psi for a while so...

My guys at OXBO Muffler in Joliet,IL did an awesome job making my downpipe. sourcing the unique flange (different from other t25s) for this cheap ass chinesse tb25 was insanely hard. This thing is small even for a t25 but spool up doesn't even exist. you hit the gas and the boost is there by 3k. Hit the gas when you are already moving and you will be at full boost before the throttle is even finished opening as seen in my logs.

Total cost: ~$1200 and 100+ hours researching, building, and tuning (and one month of alienation from friends and family, even my girlfriend of 4 years was starting to think I loved my car more than her)

I love screwing with Fiestas for some reason now.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 01-11-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:25 AM
damn 1200 is ridiculous price for a good kit, i have to say its a beautiful thing!!! now we need a write up

Old 01-14-2011, 07:11 AM
0-60 times?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zymo
0-60 times?
no clue, this is illinois. the roads are slick, my tires are hard from the cold, i just spin tires. In second gear, it feels like getting rear ended by a semi.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
no clue, this is illinois. the roads are slick, my tires are hard from the cold, i just spin tires. In second gear, it feels like getting rear ended by a semi.
just wait for the roads to dry up, warm up the ole tires with some driving and have at it!

also - what has this all done to your MPGs??

Last edited by zymo; 01-14-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Awesome job man!!! Now i need this kind of motivation and resources!

Old 01-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Java^FiT
Awesome job man!!! Now i need this kind of motivation and resources!
yes, I meant to say this as well. really nice work. I was curious about some other things as well...

did you reprogram your ecu for this? I don't know much about hondas but on other cars I've seen there is usually a ecu upgrade that goes along with a turbo upgrade. is the car throwing codes and will you be able to pass the OBD inspection?

did you upgrade any of your transmission/drivetrain to handle the extra power you are producing or are you expecting the stock components to be durable enough?

Old 01-14-2011, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Mpgs depend on how I drive it. If I never enter boost. I still get 35mpg. But if I zoom around town and wot every stoplight, I get about 22mpg now.

I use the aem fic for fuel management. No drivetrain upgrades. If the at craps, then i just have an excuse to do an mt swap. But honestly the at is taking it like a champ. In fact, I think it likes the extra power. Shifts are still very crisp and fast but now I rocket out of the shift higher up in the power band. I come out of first gear and begin 2nd gear at 5k rpms, whereas before I came out at 4500.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 01-14-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Your sig is wrong. They're called wheels not rims. Unless you're just referring to the rim of the wheel.

Also 16 psi on a mega tiny turbo =/= 16 psi on non mega tiny turbo

Stand by L15 = teh suck

Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Slowbros
Your sig is wrong. They're called wheels not rims. Unless you're just referring to the rim of the wheel.
You are by far one of the most obnoxious people on this forum lol

Old 01-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Java^FiT
You are by far one of the most obnoxious people on this forum lol

Old 01-14-2011, 02:44 PM

Old 01-14-2011, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Mpgs depend on how I drive it. If I never enter boost. I still get 35mpg. But if I zoom around town and wot every stoplight, I get about 22mpg now.

I use the aem fic for fuel management. No drivetrain upgrades. If the at craps, then i just have an excuse to do an mt swap. But honestly the at is taking it like a champ. In fact, I think it likes the extra power. Shifts are still very crisp and fast but now I rocket out of the shift higher up in the power band. I come out of first gear and begin 2nd gear at 5k rpms, whereas before I came out at 4500.
I remember that ExplosivePotato also got good fuel mileage with his tune, actually very good... The ECU reflash has changed my rev limit to 7100RPM but when I glance at the tachometer just as I shift I see the needle hit 7200 without the limiter kicking in. With the Hondata tune that is on my car I will never see 35 MPG without changing some things around some. The lowest I have seen is 26.5 but I was jumping on it at the time. What you have come up with is truly mind blowing.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 01-14-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
as i said in your last thread, patent it, and start hitting up companies, and get this on the market for us. money for you, turbo for us! BAM!

Old 01-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by sandblasted
as i said in your last thread, patent it, and start hitting up companies, and get this on the market for us. money for you, turbo for us! BAM!

It would be much more expensive to consumers that way. Definitely not $1200 for a package deal to buy everything new in box, plus margins, etc..

But if you are cool with this and want to send us some start up capital I would love to.. I need a new job anyways.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
It would be much more expensive to consumers that way. Definitely not $1200 for a package deal to buy everything new in box, plus margins, etc..

But if you are cool with this and want to send us some start up capital I would love to.. I need a new job anyways.

lmao. i'll come down, and let you put one on my car, and i'll pay you for it. lol. i don't know near enough to even try any of this myself, or know what to buy. lol.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by sandblasted
lmao. i'll come down, and let you put one on my car, and i'll pay you for it. lol. i don't know near enough to even try any of this myself, or know what to buy. lol.
I have a couple component lists floating around here, but if you ever decide to bite the bullet this is what I love to do. More than happy to help.

If you have the time and funding I could make you a very nice custom setup.

With the parts available in addition to what I can have fabricated, coated or cryo treated for you we can do anything from a gain of 50whp-400whp.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
I have a couple component lists floating around here, but if you ever decide to bite the bullet this is what I love to do. More than happy to help.

With the parts available in addition to what I can have fabricated, coated or cryo treated for you we can do anything from a gain of 50whp-400whp.

so for the current set up that Lyon has, run him around 1200 bucks. have you got a new hp with his new set up yet? i'd be super interested in this, however with my lack of knowlege, coming back home(to canada) would be brutal if i didn't know how to fix something if something were to go wrong.....lol. i'll see how you guys make out with this, and if this all turns out for the good, i'll certainly be in touch.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member

What's needed here is an AWD FIT and the additional 400hp mentioned above.

~SB

Old 01-14-2011, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
you look like my roomate.. lol

Quick Reply: My Turbo Build: Possibly the first USDM GE8 turbo build actually completed