2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
My experience has been 27psi will not trip the tps. That's pretty low and it should, but it doesn't. If you have a keen sense of how your Fit handles, you can actually feel the steering get sluggish too, not to mention crapy gas mileage. Check the pressure- note to self.

Dan

Old 01-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Tire gauges are an ongoing problem. The slipstick ones never worked worth a damn for me. I like the analog dial ones with the bleeder on the stem, but all the ones I have tend to be inaccurate. They give consistent pressure, but the wrong pressure compared to a couple electronic ones that relentlessly agree with each other. From excess wear to the center of the tire, I'm also suspicious that the dial gauges were reading too low.

I have a couple Sears electronic ones now that work uncommonly well, and also have the bleed feature.
Moon

Old 01-27-2011, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
My TPMS light has been on for 3 months. All my tires are set at 35psi, but I did have larger than stock tires installed about 5 months ago.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:08 PM
TPMS needs recalibrating, that is if your concerned with it. I believe you'll need to go to a dealer, but don't quote me on that. Some simply black tape the warning light...

Old 01-27-2011, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
Tire gauges are an ongoing problem. The slipstick ones never worked worth a damn for me. I like the analog dial ones with the bleeder on the stem, but all the ones I have tend to be inaccurate. They give consistent pressure, but the wrong pressure compared to a couple electronic ones that relentlessly agree with each other. From excess wear to the center of the tire, I'm also suspicious that the dial gauges were reading too low.

I have a couple Sears electronic ones now that work uncommonly well, and also have the bleed feature.
Moon
Yes, and I agree. I have a digital one that I thought would be crap, and it's actually really good. So much better than a slip stick, and more accurate than the stations provided gauge- be it on the hose or setting the pressure on the pump itself- 'ding, ding!' I don't trust either. I was surprised to see my 10 dollar digital one is quite accurate and much less of a hassle to use. But of course, I'd like the fancy schmancy one my mechanic uses. All in the tools, all in the tools...

Dan

Old 01-27-2011, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blazer Deli
My TPMS light has been on for 3 months. All my tires are set at 35psi, but I did have larger than stock tires installed about 5 months ago.
Mine has been on since the day I bought mine! 11 miles to the house and I put wheels I had purchased for my Civic coupe (97) with less than 1000 miles. No TPMS so the light stays... Discount says they'll fix it for me but I'm thinking 18" instead of 17". We'll see after I finish my exterior. I want to make sure 18" wont rub when I install my springs. I'll order wheels for the Civic 'cause I like the offset. Either way I will eventually install and calibrate the TPMS. Nothing like a new car with a light on ALL THE TIME!

-Ray

Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Had one of those digital ones. Was okay, but the thought of batteries and the fact that it was awkward to handle prompted me to give it up to my son-in-law. He really likes it. I'm an old school-er when it comes to brass dial gauges.

I do have to agree on those slip stick ones. Interesting, I never knew what to call them. Used to be a time when I would judge the tire pressure by looking at the profile of the road contact. That was a long time ago, but it wasn't too bad. Seems I wore out tires a lot quicker back then.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
The batteries are lasting a long time, but I think the one you're mentioning is a typical mechanic one- and I like it a lot too. I should pick one up.

Used to be a time when I would judge the tire pressure by looking at the profile of the road contact. That was a long time ago, but it wasn't too bad. Seems I wore out tires a lot quicker back then.
LOL! Me too. These low profiles ALWAYS look flat to me. So much for that technique!

Dan

Old 01-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Back when radials hit the racks I eyeballed them by thinking they looked flat - that's when I realized I needed a tire gauge.
When I saw that the FIT had TPMS I was excited, until I saw how dumb it is.
Jezze - for a few bucks more it could at least be smart enough to tell you which tire is down.
Not that it's a big deal, but it's only a chip and some code...

Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 AM
My winter rims bring the TPMS; how much trouble is it to make the non-OEM rims respond to the system?
Oddly, her Ladyship's panzer requires no adjustments; I simply put on the winter tires and rims (and a panzer it is in the snow, with AWD and Blizzaks), and the system works normally.
Apparently the old Axis partners have a different take on how to do TPMS...
Real question remains; how hard to get my winter rims to work with the TPMS system?
Moon

Old 01-28-2011, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
My winter rims bring the TPMS; how much trouble is it to make the non-OEM rims respond to the system?
Oddly, her Ladyship's panzer requires no adjustments; I simply put on the winter tires and rims (and a panzer it is in the snow, with AWD and Blizzaks), and the system works normally.
Apparently the old Axis partners have a different take on how to do TPMS...
Real question remains; how hard to get my winter rims to work with the TPMS system?
Moon
You need a set of TPMS sensors for your winter rims (and they need to be active). Then you'll either need to buy an ATEQ TPMS Quickset tool, or go to your dealer or tire shop and have them program the new sensor IDs into the computer.

Whenever you switch rims, you'll need to have the computer reprogrammed with the correct set of TPMS sensor IDs (so it may be worth getting the tool if your dealer/shop is going to charge you).

So, it's not hard, it just costs some $$$.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Orange makes TPMS sensors that can be programmed with the same code as the ones you already have- so when you switch wheels you don't have to change anything.
Orange Electronic TPMS USA - Tire Pressure Monitoring System

I don't know much about them but it seems like it makes sense.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Okay, spent ten minutes in Orange's website; never did find the price or what was involved in the changeover.
Anybody have the condensed version? Cost?
Moon

Old 01-28-2011, 06:29 PM
The system consists of 4 TPMS sensors that can be programmed with the same code as your existing ones (i.e., cloned), and something that does the programming. Obviously you have to get a tire shop to put the TPMS into your wheels.

If you call them they should be able to tell you the nearest tire shop that has the equipment and could presumably sell/install/program the sensors. I asked but the nearest one was 30 miles from here and wanted a fortune to sell me even steel rims, and I never ended up getting new rims/snowtires. At least not for this season, the snowiest one on record for NY...

Old 01-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Thumbs down I have contacted them...

Okay, spent ten minutes in Orange's website; never did find the price or what was involved in the changeover.
Anybody have the condensed version? Cost?
Moon
Numerous times and not received an answer on how to purchase these. It seems like a great idea, not sure if they don't have a product for my car, or what.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Blackbeard
Numerous times and not received an answer on how to purchase these. It seems like a great idea, not sure if they don't have a product for my car, or what.
I did get as far as the interchange list, and the Fit was on it.
Everything else was a puzzlement.
Moon