2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hid

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Hid

hey Fit Owners
i was wonder if you guys ever ran into any problems installing your HIDs. I believe the fit bulbs are H4 hi/low. i plan to get these HID:HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning. not to bad of a price, but the other day, my friend, which is another fit owner, told me i had to get a special cable to install it. im not to sure what he said exactly because i was at a party and the music was really loud. any help would be appreciate

Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe he was talking about the relay kit.

There are two types of HIDs that support high and low beam on a single bulb reflector. First is the one with HID for low with a halogen bulb for high. The other one only has one HID bulb for both, it moves to mimic high and low (along with a 'shield' for the low beam pattern). That usually recommends a relay kit.

It makes the system draw its power directly from the battery, and it controls the solenoid that moves the bulb from low to high.

There's more info in the illumination section.

Last edited by Goobers; 02-17-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 02-17-2011, 08:42 PM
What Goobers said

Old 02-17-2011, 09:43 PM
From what I hear, DDM tuning has horrible customer service. I was also considering purchasing from DDM tuning because of their low price but I hear that sometimes it takes a month or longer to ship out. Look them up on yelp.

I decided to purchase my HID kit from hidextra.com. For both the fog and headlights, it came out to about 120; 8000k h4 hi/low and 3000k h11. I recieved my kit in about 4 business days and they work great; no flickering or anything. Oh, and there was no need for any special cables; everything I needed to install the kit was included.

Just thought I'd let you know so you can expand your options.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phuccer
From what I hear, DDM tuning has horrible customer service. I was also considering purchasing from DDM tuning because of their low price but I hear that sometimes it takes a month or longer to ship out. Look them up on yelp.

I decided to purchase my HID kit from hidextra.com. For both the fog and headlights, it came out to about 120; 8000k h4 hi/low and 3000k h11. I recieved my kit in about 4 business days and they work great; no flickering or anything. Oh, and there was no need for any special cables; everything I needed to install the kit was included.

Why are they so cheap? Are they worth a darn either?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:54 PM
I have no idea, my friend has a kit from ddmtuning and he says they are pretty good but their service is horrible, he had to wait several weeks to get his kit and the customer service over the phone was being no help at all in tracking his order

Old 02-17-2011, 11:55 PM
HID are so cheap now. im not surprised being sold for that price with life time warranty.

If you get HID, i recommend getting a projector headlight or retrofitting one. If you don't want to blind the other drivers.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
It's the projector headlights that are so expensive then correct? I want HID's but i dont have the cash to do em right at the moment. And I don't want the excess light blind people.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by phuccer

got any pics of them on?

Old 02-18-2011, 03:56 AM
Originally Posted by Rampage289
got any pics of them on?
i have pictures on my phone i just havent had time to post them yet, ill get them up as soon as i can

Old 02-19-2011, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Pics would be good. I would like to upgrade but can't retrofit and really don't want to pull the bumper. Sooo many upgrades, not enough money.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:08 AM
5 Year Member
I'm so sick of educating people about pnp hid lights, why won't this cancerous $h*t die already.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Iamnotkento
HID are so cheap now. im not surprised being sold for that price with life time warranty.

If you get HID, i recommend getting a projector headlight or retrofitting one. If you don't want to blind the other drivers.
+10000000 - totally agree - Do it right or don't do it at all.

Originally Posted by Jamy
It's the projector headlights that are so expensive then correct? I want HID's but i dont have the cash to do em right at the moment. And I don't want the excess light blind people.
Ask yourself, why you want HID's aftermarket "drop in" hids produce no more usable light than a good set of Halogen bulbs. I say usable because they scatter light everywhere and on everythign that doesn't need to be lit up. The reflected light off of everything other than the road means your pupils constrict more and you see less.

Get a good set of Halogen bulbs until you can do a proper retrofit.

~SB

Old 02-21-2011, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
+10000000 - totally agree - Do it right or don't do it at all.

Ask yourself, why you want HID's aftermarket "drop in" hids produce no more usable light than a good set of Halogen bulbs. I say usable because they scatter light everywhere and on everythign that doesn't need to be lit up. The reflected light off of everything other than the road means your pupils constrict more and you see less.

Get a good set of Halogen bulbs until you can do a proper retrofit.

~SB
I'm sticking with reaiming the headlights. That worked fine enough for now. I'm not doing a drop in ballast and bulb. I do like the Look of the HIDs and when done right they are amazing. I had a audi q7 following me last night and I could see his headlights, but there was no glare, at all. I want something like that. Just with out the LEDs along the bottom.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
I'm sticking with reaiming the headlights. That worked fine enough for now. I'm not doing a drop in ballast and bulb. I do like the Look of the HIDs and when done right they are amazing. I had a audi q7 following me last night and I could see his headlights, but there was no glare, at all. I want something like that. Just with out the LEDs along the bottom.
Exactly. Save up some money and do a proper projector retrofit. Trust me the difference is significant and once you drive in the dark with projectors you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JJIN
Exactly. Save up some money and do a proper projector retrofit. Trust me the difference is significant and once you drive in the dark with projectors you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Lol, got the super loud horn, next is the audio, then intake, and then I can move on to the super expensive, super bright lights.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Good Choice as others have said. Projectors look nice when done right. Reflectors designed for Halogen bulbs with HID PNP Kits look cheap and riced out... and are probably worse for your visibility.

~SB