2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Remote keyless entry

We just bought a pre-owned 2009 Honda Fit. It has power locks but did not come with key fobs. If we buy the remote keyless fobs will they work on our car? The service rep at our local Honda dealership told me they would program them for free but when I spoke with parts that guy told me unless the car was manufactured with that option, it wouldn't work. Does anyone know the real story?

Also, when I called I asked them to check to see if this particular vehicle had it's recall done. When I gave the VIN to the rep he said it pulled up the current recall but he hadn't even heard of it yet. I told him it had been in the news the last few weeks. I guess they haven't received the order to do them yet. Hmmm

Old 03-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by MarkJane
We just bought a pre-owned 2009 Honda Fit. It has power locks but did not come with key fobs. If we buy the remote keyless fobs will they work on our car? The service rep at our local Honda dealership told me they would program them for free but when I spoke with parts that guy told me unless the car was manufactured with that option, it wouldn't work. Does anyone know the real story?

Also, when I called I asked them to check to see if this particular vehicle had it's recall done. When I gave the VIN to the rep he said it pulled up the current recall but he hadn't even heard of it yet. I told him it had been in the news the last few weeks. I guess they haven't received the order to do them yet. Hmmm
With power locks in my FIT, it came with OEM remote to operate the locks

In your case MarkJane, I think you may want to establish if the powerlocks in your FIt are OEM or aftermarket installed by the previous owner since your FIT is pre-owned

From my previous Accord experience, my previous accord did not come with power locks. Later I installed an aftermarket alarm that provided power locks. The remote fob that operate the powerlocks would obviously be an aftermarket one.

If your FIT has OEM power locks that came with the car originally, then, the Honda dealer may order the Honda fob for you.. which may cost about $100

If your FIT does not come with OEM powerlocks and the previous owner installed an after market powerlocks (just like what I did to my previous honda accord), you may want to find out from the previous owner the make and model of his after-market installation and pursue with the after market manufacturer to get remote fob replacements

My 2 cents

Old 03-06-2011, 11:46 AM
For the Fit, all you need is the key. The receiver for the keyless entry is already installed in the base Fit. If the dealer will cut and program the key for free, that's a pretty good deal. DIYHonda.com Video Podcasts: Episode #166 - 2nd Gen Honda Fit Base Keyless Entry

Old 03-08-2011, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
What dealer will program the key for Free in San Diego area?

Old 03-09-2011, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
Free? I don't think any Steelership will do that! Most in my area charge $60-$100 for the immobilizer chip programing. If you find one, that's awesome and much different than ANY experience I've had at any steelership.

CFLHonda will ship the key for free if you mention you heard about them on Fitfreak. Most Honda parts departments will cut it for free, but they get you with the immobilizer programing. That's why most people cut the key blank portion off and use it like a remote. I just paid the cheapest one I could find which was CFL (not in my area) Best of luck to you! It's worth the $ to program it so you have all in one remote/key.

-Ray

Old 03-09-2011, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
I ordered the internals from CFL for $23 I think. And then had the parts guy at my local dealership order the back, front and screw from the remote key for $8. Had him cut the key blank off and it was all set for less than $40.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by iamtbrown
What dealer will program the key for Free in San Diego area?
I was in the same boat as you - I wanted keyless entry on my base, and I read on this board that you can sometimes get your local Honda dealership to program and cut the new key for you.

So I ordered my blank key from CFLHonda. I then put on my high heels and tank top, and strutted down to Mission Valley Honda in San Diego with the new key. I flashed the parts guy my big beautiful round eyes, and asked really sweetly how much he'd charge to cut and program it so I could have keyless entry on my base Fit.

It didn't work.

He told me I shouldn't have that key in the first place, and he wanted $100 to cut the key.

Oh well. So I went the DIY route. I followed the instructions for syncing/programming the new key to my car, and cut off the useless metal part with a hacksaw. After I cleaned it up with a file, I was left with this:

It works great - take the money you saved and buy some beer.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
You went all the way to SD? Why not a dealer in LA?

I miss SD... nice weather out in PB.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Keyless programming

If you need best Keyless programming instructions.
Check here : Honda Keyless entry key programming instructions - ProgramKeyFob.com

Old 11-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by autoexpert
If you need best Keyless programming instructions.
Check here : Honda Keyless entry key programming instructions - ProgramKeyFob.com

Well, there's no Fit there.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
For the Fit, all you need is the key. The receiver for the keyless entry is already installed in the base Fit. If the dealer will cut and program the key for free, that's a pretty good deal. DIYHonda.com Video Podcasts: Episode #166 - 2nd Gen Honda Fit Base Keyless Entry
I just received 2 keyfobs from College Hill Honda - and it's not working. I'm doing it exactly like in video: 4 times on/pressing lock/off - no luck.

I have Base Fit 2009 AT USA model. And yes, I have power locks.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit2009BaseAT
I just received 2 keyfobs from College Hill Honda - and it's not working. I'm doing it exactly like in video: 4 times on/pressing lock/off - no luck.

I have Base Fit 2009 AT USA model. And yes, I have power locks.
It's actually 3 times on/press lock/off, then the 4th time it's on/press lock & WAIT until you hear the locks click, then press lock again before you turn the ignition off. Also, do those first three "on/press lock/off" cycles relatively quickly, with about 1 second between each step.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by 4thCornerFit
It's actually 3 times on/press lock/off, then the 4th time it's on/press lock & WAIT until you hear the locks click, then press lock again before you turn the ignition off. Also, do those first three "on/press lock/off" cycles relatively quickly, with about 1 second between each step.
Thank you for explanations. However, it's still not working. I have just 1 key (another one is lost) - could it be that I need the other key (maybe it was master one that I lost)? I have no idea if Fit came with master/valet keys or both keys are same?
Another possibility is that keyfobs are duds - but I doubt someone would go to an extent to make a fake keyfobs.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:43 AM
I have my second Fit. 2009 Base.

I had an old fob from the first Fit and followed the instructions someone so kindly shared on a related thread, to hopefully add keyless entry to my 2009, (hoping to solve a "key wont go in the door lock" problem) to no avail. Aftre pciking the brain of a genius locksmith here's my report on whether or not this will work:
Two thoughts:
first, make sure the battery is good (AKA red light goes on when you hit a button),
second, pop open that fob. If there is only a black box inside, then you can't reprogram it without finding someone who has a computer that does it. If there is a tiny "pill" on the left near where the metal part of the key extends, then you are good to go and do it yourself. He explained that the existence of this "magic pill" this all depends, not on what year or base/sport option, but on what factory your car was made in. Living in Hawai'i we get cars from everywhere.

You can actually get a remote key fob and remove the key part as some here have suggested, or replace the old metal key with a new one if you need. Using old keys kills the lock mechanism.
Hope that helps.