Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Issues After Lost Motion Spring Recall (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/63563-issues-after-lost-motion-spring-recall.html)

Koala Yummies 03-23-2011 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Olyar15 (Post 975572)
. The instructions on re-installing the cylinder head cover has this little note:
"Do not run the engine for at least 3 hours after installing the head cover."

The head cover requires a small amount of liquid gasket, so I am assuming that this allows the gasket to cure. So to those that had the recall done in less than a day: were you allowed to drive the car immediately after everything was finished, or did you wait until the end of the day before picking up the car. Also, I don't think they are going to just let the car sit in the service bay for 3 hours before driving the car out.

My concern is that if the engine is started before the 3 hours, are we going to have an eventual seal breakdown and oil leak from the cylinder cover? And what if it occurs after the warranty is up?

Interesting, I had forgotten about that. On the Honda B-Series it's similar, they require some Hondabond (Silicone/RTV sealant) around the camshaft holders (between cylinder head, and the valve cover).

I was allowed to drive the car right away after this service though (took 5 hours), and there is some oil around the plastic valve cover/cylinder head after the service, but I assumed it was just from removing/reinstalling everything. I'll keep an eye out for any leaks though.

I have done valve adjustments on B-series though, used the Hondabond and not waited 3 hours before driving, with no leaks. Hondabond is the best silicone ever.

Fitcious 03-23-2011 12:58 PM

brought and dropped off this morning at Sierra Honda, CA. Mentioned about Cowl clips. Also took a good 15 pictures from various angles pre-drop off. Service rep said a stupid comment when I told him about the Cowl clips...he said "we replace the whole cowl"...please.

Will call soon about that 3 hour time for it to sit. thanks for the heads up.

boxfish 03-23-2011 01:20 PM

Just had mine done. In and out in 2 hours, so the 1.6 seems pretty accurate. Everything seems ok so far. I didn't count the clips, but all of them look like they're still there and wiper blades were same as when I brought it in. No mention of cure time and they had a "valet" drive the car to a covered area since it was raining.

Also, invoice on mine specifically says "replaced 4 lost motion springs" but for quantity it says 1 and refers to the part as a set.

Fitcious 03-23-2011 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by boxfish (Post 975677)
Just had mine done. In and out in 2 hours, so the 1.6 seems pretty accurate. Everything seems ok so far. I didn't count the clips, but all of them look like they're still there and wiper blades were same as when I brought it in. No mention of cure time and they had a "valet" drive the car to a covered area since it was raining.

Also, invoice on mine specifically says "replaced 4 lost motion springs" but for quantity it says 1 and refers to the part as a set.

which dealer in california?

Fitcious 03-23-2011 04:28 PM

I called my dealer and my car is under the range that needs to be replaced. The car was done at 12pm, but i'll pick it up later tonight after work.

spoke to service rep on the phone and stressed to him about that 3 hour sealant issue...he said he was reading the exact same thing and told me not to worry since our fits uses a rubber seal rather than those lube/silicone stuff.

can anyone confirm?

z06dustin 03-23-2011 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by spin out (Post 975582)
nice find.

where did you read that? can you offer a link? or image?

that's definitely something i'd want to be armed with before going in.

http://racing.honda.com/hpd/images/p...ing_Update.pdf

my bad that's just the TSB. the instructions for installing the cover are somewhere else in the shop manual.

Olyar15 03-23-2011 08:53 PM

For those who are interested, here is the page in the service manual.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/8...linderpage.jpg

Codger01 03-23-2011 11:30 PM

The dealer called me at 10.30am to tell me the car was done, but I did not pick it up until about 2. I don't think it was left in one of the service bays, there was a new "bird splat" on the hood.... so they must have pulled it out & parked it after finishing the job.

Chazzlee 03-24-2011 01:03 AM

Car running smoother after recall?

Took my 2010 Base in at 9am for this recall, dealer said it would be "a few hours", but I didn't get it back until 2PM. 5 hours total. Hope that sealed everything?

But anyway, I wuz greatly surprised that after the recall 'corrections' my 2010 Base ran much quieter, quicker, and smoother. Is this my imagination? I dunno, but I can hear the radio a lot better now at speed even with the windows open! Car now feels much smoother running!

Anyone else notice this???

Chazzlee

mugen666 03-24-2011 03:46 AM

Took mine in and it took a grand total of 1.75 hours.

some_dude 03-24-2011 02:44 PM

Took my fit to the dealer and warned them about the clips. They said they have a different way to do it where the remove the battery and some other stuff, without removing the cowl or wipers. I wonder what different things get messed up when they do it that way.

Eugene.Atget 03-24-2011 03:03 PM

Took mine into Millennium Honda, Long Island, NY yesterday. They claim that they’ve been doing “five or six” a day. Left it with them for the whole day. Runs fine, although it might be idling somewhat rough, and I think that there’s more valve clatter now, but the differences are slight. The invoice says “broken spring.” I don’t know if this means that a spring was actually broken, or that they replaced it to prevent it from being broken. Everything looks okay under the hood, and with the cowling.

wedgecon 03-24-2011 03:52 PM

Got mine done yesterday at Community Honda and so far everything looks good.

oldtart 03-24-2011 04:34 PM

Had mine done. Baby pepper than even, I couldn`t see any damage .

Baby pepper than even, I couldn`t see any damage .I know there's already a long, long thread about the lost motion spring recall, but I want to post some issues in a new thread so they get some visibility. Accessing the valvetrain on the Fit requires removing the black plastic cowling at the base of the windshield, as well as the wipers. We had the recall work done on both of our '09 Fits yesterday, and both have issues with that cowl. I'm posting so others can take a close look at their Fits to ensure you don't have similar issues.

The #1 issue is that the cowl consists of an upper and lower half that appears to snap together with clips molded into the upper part. The first picture shows that one of our Fits now has all of these clips broken and there's a gap between the upper and lower halves of the cowl. That cowl is also the airbox where outside air is drawn in for A/C and ventilation, so the gap means some air from the engine compartment will now get pulled in too (not good!). The second picture shows the other Fit with the clips intact and no gap. There are more clips not shown in the photo. Our "bad" Fit has all clips broken, the "good" one has two broken.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9885/brokenclips.jpg

Good Clips:
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9867/goodclips.jpg

Issue #2 is that the plastic trim piece at each corner at the base of the windshield is now scratched up on the "good" Fit. The scratches are actually worse than the photo makes them look. There are also some white stains in the photo - that's just car polish residue.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/490/scratches.jpg

Issue #3 is that a plastic push-button fastener was missing on the "good" Fit. These fasteners have been mentioned in the other recall thread. I actually took a few pictures before the work was done (I never expected I would need them....), so here's a picture of the fastener in question. There's one on each side of the car. I don't have a photo showing the hole with the missing fastener.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4338/fastener.jpg

The last issue, also mentioned in the other thread is that the wipers were positioned at slightly different angles after the recall work. Ours were too and I fixed those myself.

I've already contacted the dealer to arrange to get things corrected, and we'll see how that goes. But an equally big concern is that if they did such a poor job on the items I can see, who knows about the quality of the parts of the job I can't see. I can say that the "good" Fit has had a very, very slightly noisy valvetrain since new (it only has 12K miles now), and it's now quieter. I haven't driven the other Fit yet.

I hope these photos will help others know about some things to look for.

(Yes, those are kayaks and windsurfer masts in the first photo, along with a long pole saw made from a windsurfer mast - gotta have toys!)[/quote]

some_dude 03-24-2011 05:30 PM

All done. Runs great but idles like an old diesel. Also found what appeared to be a coolant leak next to the air cleaner but as I cleaned it up, it seems like some kind of lubricant they used for some reason.

mkchiu 03-24-2011 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by z06dustin (Post 975759)
http://racing.honda.com/hpd/images/p...ing_Update.pdf

my bad that's just the TSB. the instructions for installing the cover are somewhere else in the shop manual.

There is actually an updated 11-010 TSB (scribd) for the LMA dated 02/26--more explicit instructions for #7.

geomarathoner 03-25-2011 07:45 AM

Anybody have questions about the internal work?

Originally Posted by geomarathoner (Post 974962)
This is a good thread, as well as the one it came from. The talk about the problems getting the cowl back properly make me worry a little about the internal work....one part in particular.

(For those who may not have already looked at the service bulletin that the dealers are supposed to be following, there are service manual procedures referenced, rather than repeated in the service bulletin.)

When the technician is about to remove the rocker assembly, ie step 8 in the service bulletin procedure, the manual specifies that all 16 rocker arm adjusting screws are supposed to be loosened first. That takes all uneven stresses off the assembly. Then the 11 bolts holding the rocker assembly are to be loosened by only two turns at a time, and in a certain sequence. The rocker bridge itself is a thin cast material (see it on page 2 and 3 of the service bulletin) and these manual procedures obviously want the technician to treat it verrrrrry carefully.

However....I can easily imagine a technician in a hurry just skipping the part about loosening all 16 of the rocker adjustments, and then just zipping out all 11 of the rocker assembly bolts with an air ratchet....'cause it's a LOT faster that way.

Then when the rocker assembly is bolted back to the head, the manual says for the 11 bolts to get retightened again by only two turns at a time, in a certain sequence. Ten of them wind up with 11 ft-lbs of torque and one is at 7.2 ft-lbs of torque. Then each of the 16 rocker clearances get adjusted. Which means adjusting a few, rotating the engine a little, then adjusting the rest.

However...again I can imagine a tech just zipping all 11 rocker assembly bolts in with an air ratchet. Then maybe checking a few valve clearances ('cause he never loosened the rocker adjusting screws) and calling it done.

I've read about one instance where the rocker bridge was broken "somehow" (ha) and another where the owner was just told that they needed "a part" and it would be a few days before they could get it. I'd guess that was another one.

Anybody else have concerns? Heard of problems? Thnx!

Folks.....transplanting my above post #34 because there are a lot of us now getting the work done, and some people are reporting different noises/etc from the valves after they get their cars back. Also, some dealerships are taking various shortcuts (like claiming to do the work without removing the cowl) and I wonder if they might be taking some shortcuts on the internal work, too.

Comments? geo

oldtart 03-25-2011 12:33 PM

Spring trouble.

I would think Honda will monitor all repairs any done improperly would only cost them more in the long run, look what happen to Toyota , I have a lot of faith in the Japanese . Your car sounds like it needs a good long run down the highway with a little fuel injector cleaner, do you dive mostly city?

j1nNju1c3 03-25-2011 08:49 PM

Got my car back yesterday and lo and behold the middle piece of the cowl's clips were broken. The tech said this was only the second Fit they worked on and I guess he learned that he doesn't need to remove the cowl when doing the LMS service...

I'm glad my car was a guinea pig so the rest of the other Fits wouldn't get their cowls broken!

They are going to replace it so I guess it's ok.

ninjakong 03-25-2011 08:51 PM

Had mine done 2 days ago, noticed 4 clips broken after service and a huge gap AND scratches on both sides. lol I pointed them out to service advisor, he told me the gap is NORMAL. haha After 15-20 mins of arguing, he agreed to fix them next wk but I have to bring my fit back to dealer again. What a waste of my time.