Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Issues After Lost Motion Spring Recall (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/63563-issues-after-lost-motion-spring-recall.html)

kenchan 04-05-2011 04:32 PM

i got this bs done a week or so ago. dealer did a good job, i think. even washed the car (sort of). haven't checked on the cowl you guys are referring to. i didnt see anything flapping around so i think it's fine. gave the keys to the wife. :D

Krimson_Cardnal 04-05-2011 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by CasualFitOwner (Post 980261)
I had mine done this morning. The service manager stated they do not need to remove the cowl... But I checked before pulling out of the dealer. There was a minor gap in the cowl, but the mechanic "fixed" it by wiggling the gap and it snapped to closed.. No gap and no problem :-) I actually can now hear more aggressive engine sound when accelerating.

Checking under the hood before leaving the lot is a very good thing to do. Immediate feedback to the service department on things an informed owner sees right off the bat.

The really nice thing about all the LSM discussion on the forum is that it's getting good info into the hands of owners so we can all act pro-actively.

z06dustin 04-05-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT (Post 979904)
LOL. To me, it seems the reverse...my manual doesn't do it, but my parents' auto and other autos I've seen do. It's simple...Honda's automatic cars vibrate at idle, hence the wiper vibration.

Well there goes my theory.

specboy 04-05-2011 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by specboy (Post 979080)
The FIT has a little bit of what I think is a rough idle but I'm not sure if it's actually rough or due to the fact I've been reading this thread.

Either way, I have a Tuesday appointment as we are heading out to see the in-laws in the near future. Talked with the dealer and they said it's probably not an issue but they want to take a look as I was the first car they had done the LMS Recall on. They postponed me a few days until they had a specific tech free for work.

I'm betting that it is in my head.

~SB

I BET....

... AND I WON!

Yeah... it's this thread that made me paranoid. Their best mechanic took mine and a few brand new ones out for a drive, listened to the engine, checked the computer... and a number of other things. Absolutely nothing wrong.

Car was in perfect shape after the recall, and it still is.

~SB

beaucoupfishies 04-05-2011 09:57 PM

I've been watching this thread for a bit and decided to sign up to throw in my 2 cents. I took my car in last week for the recall and when I got it back I immediately noticed that the engine sounded completely different. It almost sounded like a tiny diesel engine so I sent the car back to be looked at again and picked it up the next day.

The next day it still sounded off, so I decided to go home and investigate forums to see if anyone else was having the issue. I saw here on Fitfreak that several people were having the issue and that it may be the engine control module relearning the idle procedure. So I gave it a week and haven't noticed any improvement.

When I gave the car back to the dealer he adjusted the valves from their maximum suggested distance to the minimum suggested distance (I can put in the details from the service notes if anyone wants) and swears it sounds normal. I'm extremely picky about noise in the cabin, and I know for a fact that it's louder and I'm not just hearing things. I can even hear it over my music unless I turn it up quite a bit.

The cowl was put back on properly and there's nothing visible that I can see wrong with it. I really don't like this dealer but they're the only one in the area so I'm trying to get as much info as I can before I try to take it back. Thanks for any input!

Edit: I forgot to mention that when the tech adjusted the valves he also tried replacing the motion sensors with another set in case the first ones were defective.

Willard 04-06-2011 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by HomePhi (Post 979826)
today I was supposed to go back to the dealer to have the cowl put on, but the dealer is saying that the cowl is on "national backorder," and they don't have any idea when it's going to come in. Does this sound believable?

Same thing they told me when I had my low beam recall (GD) done last week.
The lower section of the steering column cover had 2 of the 4 clips broken. :mad:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/979771-post49.html

You would think that they would stock up on parts that would need to be remove to perform the recall work. :rolleyes:

jadr09fit 04-06-2011 06:17 PM

Our Fit had the recall done today. It sounded different. This was a good different. It did not sound "diesel-ish" right after startup, and has more grunt down low like it had when it was new. Coming back from the dealer the instant MPG gauge was reading higher, which was verified with a 2 mpg or so increase at the pump (filled before and after visiting).

The rest of the dealer experience was horrid. But that's between me, the dealer, and American Honda.

hayden 04-06-2011 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by jadr09fit (Post 980659)
The rest of the dealer experience was horrid. But that's between me, the dealer, and American Honda.

LOL - well, at least the car's good to go.

dela 04-06-2011 07:41 PM

Had it done last saturday... valve tap noise increased... called dealer, said i'd have to pay for any adjustment because the "recall didn't address noise"

keyes honda in woodland hills... bleh

Brain Champagne 04-06-2011 07:57 PM

Tell them that's okay, just put the valves back the way they were before.

B18C5-EH2 04-06-2011 08:31 PM

I work at an Atlanta, GA area Honda dealership, and I'm a service writer.

My service department has been doing a ton of these 11-010 recalls, and thus far I've not seen any issues yet. My dealership is in a sort of "nicer" area with some "upscale" owners, and I'm sure I'd have heard anything about cowl issues, or noisy engines.

Having said that I did have one of my customer's Fits have something nearly disastrous when one of our best master techs was doing the recall work:

One of the bolts that holds the rockers SNAPPED OFF when simply unbolting the rockers from the cylinder head! The bolts are on national back order, but luckily one of our other techs had the exact bolt, so the simple recall didn't turn into a multi day job waiting for a back ordered rocker bolt.

I have read on Honda-Tech (in their fit section) that some Honda techs are not even removing the cowling to do the recall. Some move the battery tray over, make room other ways, and swear that the complete job can be done without ever touching the wipers or cowling.

I personally now own a 2011 Fit Sport and have looked under the hood, and I'm not saying it's impossible to do this recall without touching the cowling, but it'd be pretty damned hard IMO. I personally like to have as much room as possible to work, so if I ever need to do any valve cover or valve adjustments to my own Fit I'd probably just have some cowl clips on standby, and pop that sucker off.

It's crazy how much more "buried" the valve cover/coil packs/plugs are on the 2nd gen Fit when compared to the 1st gens.

reako 04-06-2011 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Brain Champagne (Post 980697)
Tell them that's okay, just put the valves back the way they were before.

Made me lol.... I'm heading back to the dealer on Friday. Making them double-check the valve adjustment and installing new cowl (cowl arrived today).

jadr09fit 04-06-2011 10:26 PM

Ours was done without moving the cowl. They moved the airbox and battery. The plastic upper intake manifold also was taken off.

sdn09fit 04-06-2011 11:00 PM

My Fit exhibited some issues after the recall and I was not happy. I brought my car back this week to McDavid Honda in Houston and they took good care of me.

The valves were re-adjusted and the chatter is gone. Windshield wipers work. It was really nice of them to install a new cowl, recognizing that only one clip from the original cowl was broken. The MPG meter reads about the same.

Good luck to everyone else having issues after the recall.

spin out 04-06-2011 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2 (Post 980714)
I personally now own a 2011 Fit Sport and have looked under the hood, and I'm not saying it's impossible to do this recall without touching the cowling, but it'd be pretty damned hard IMO.

you're not alone in that opinion.

my dealer did not remove the cowl.

the car looked, drove and sounded the same before and after the recall.

i just completed my first full tank after the recall
and my MPG was 33.9 for the tank.

the tankful immediately prior to the recall was 32.3 mpg.

similar driving, similar weather.

cameltrophy24 04-07-2011 08:25 AM

I took my Fit back to have the knocking sound fixed from where they performed the recall. Turns out that the technician that done the recall only torqued have of the bolts in the valve train. It's running better now than it was before the recall. It was just aggravating that they didn't do it right the first time, and I had to take a 2nd day off from work.

Ultrawolf 04-07-2011 07:48 PM

I'm the originator of this thread 10 long pages ago and I just updated my original post with the following:

UPDATE 04/07/2011: The replacement cowls for both Fits came in a few days ago, and we dropped off the Fits at the dealer this evening to have them installed. While there, my wife mentioned that her windshield wiper had been rattling. I checked the wiper pivot point on the drivers side, and it turns out that the whole wiper assembly (motor, arms, linkages, both wipers) seems to be floating around loose. Something wasn't bolted down inside the cowl. Checking the second Fit, everything was tight. So this is yet another problem to be watchful for. FYI, the Fit with the loose wiper assembly is the one with the more badly hacked up cowl. Whoever re-assembled this cowl after the LMS work must have really had his/her mind on something else.

Krimson_Cardnal 04-07-2011 08:27 PM

4 bolts hold the whole assembly unit in place. Interesting that they're torqued low - 6.9ft/lb.
I've hear of the vibrating wiper arm issues before on the forum before.

Lyon[Nightroad] 04-07-2011 09:28 PM

Yea they're torque low because there's a rubber grommet on the mounting bolts. Overtightening would diminish the effectiveness of the grommits absorbing the motion.

beaucoupfishies 04-07-2011 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by cameltrophy24 (Post 980898)
I took my Fit back to have the knocking sound fixed from where they performed the recall. Turns out that the technician that done the recall only torqued have of the bolts in the valve train. It's running better now than it was before the recall. It was just aggravating that they didn't do it right the first time, and I had to take a 2nd day off from work.

Tell me about it, this will be my third trip for this issue. On the second I had to persuade them to give me a rental since I was just supposed to be picking up the car, not spending two hours waiting for them to get the car back into the bay. It was a fortunate twist though, because it rained so heavily that day that it probably would've flooded my Fit!

Can anyone else who has taken their Fit back in for noise post details from the service notes? I'd like to have a few suggestions for the tech when I take it back in. The valve train sounds like a likely suspect so that'll be the first thing I ask about! Thanks!