Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation (GE 08-13) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/)
-   -   Issues After Lost Motion Spring Recall (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/63563-issues-after-lost-motion-spring-recall.html)

john21031 04-02-2011 05:21 PM

I havent even received the letter and one of the customer service reps at American Honda phone line refused to send me a letter stating that it had had to be mailed out long time ago and that it's not their problem that I have never received. They "could not mail a second one", per this service representative.

If the engine fails catastrophically and the dealer will attribute it to LMS recall not being done, I think they will try to put the blame on the owner for not bringing the vehicle in.

More problems down the road, basically.

patm95 04-02-2011 10:04 PM

I am going to have to retract the last statement that said that the dealer fixed my valve noise. My dad took it in and gave me the feedback. Apparently he doesn't know what the hell he is listening to. The car sounds exactly like it did before. I am going to have to take it in again.

john21031 04-02-2011 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have the actual service bulletins that could be printed out?

EDIT: I found them.

By the way, an easy way to make sure the intake gaskets are replaced is to make small punctures with a needle on top of the gaskets which would allow you to quickly recognize them if they are not replaced after the reassembly.

If anyone wants the diagrams and the removal of rocker arm assembly or intake manifold, let me know and I will post it here.Attachment 37203

Kenshin81 04-03-2011 05:35 AM

wow still scared to take mines in

Krimson_Cardnal 04-03-2011 10:51 AM

john - I'm not sure what you're looking at but the LSM recall has nothing to do with pulling the intake manifold....

clicq 04-03-2011 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by john21031 (Post 979227)
I havent even received the letter and one of the customer service reps at American Honda phone line refused to send me a letter stating that it had had to be mailed out long time ago and that it's not their problem that I have never received. They "could not mail a second one", per this service representative.

If the engine fails catastrophically and the dealer will attribute it to LMS recall not being done, I think they will try to put the blame on the owner for not bringing the vehicle in.

More problems down the road, basically.

Does your dealer actually need the letter? I didn't have the letter when I went in to have the recall done, nor did the service writer ask for it at all.

Just ask them to look up your VIN in their computer.

spin out 04-03-2011 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal (Post 979187)
Two links to look at:
TCC Tip: Know Your Recalls

How long after a recall is posted can I take my car to have the recall item replaced? - Ask.cars.com

Recall are not associated w/ warranty periods or original owners.

good reality check.... because i had a vague memory of reading or seeing that after a certain period, if you dont get the recall done, then the manufacturer doesnt have to pay for damage if the (in this case) LMS should fail. that apparently isnt true.

i think i was confusing it with the obligation of the manufacturer to provide the fix within 60 days of announcing a recall.

john21031 04-03-2011 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by clicq (Post 979406)
Does your dealer actually need the letter? I didn't have the letter when I went in to have the recall done, nor did the service writer ask for it at all.

Just ask them to look up your VIN in their computer.

They don't ask for the letter and my car falls within the ones needing the recall work done. I just want to see the letter to read it in its entirety and see what it says about not performing the recall. Is it mandatory? If you don't, does it say what the consequences to expect?

Can anyone post a copy of the actual letter received int he mail?

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal (Post 979398)
john - I'm not sure what you're looking at but the LSM recall has nothing to do with pulling the intake manifold....

Part of the recall procedure is removing the intake manifold chamber, which is on the diagram.

Those four round gaskets have to be replaced with the new ones. If you mark your old ones with a slight needle hole, then you can see whether they actually got replaced. But you are right, the actual intake manifold does not have to be removed.

clicq 04-03-2011 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by john21031 (Post 979430)
They don't ask for the letter and my car falls within the ones needing the recall work done. I just want to see the letter to read it in its entirety and see what it says about not performing the recall. Is it mandatory? If you don't, does it say what the consequences to expect?

Can anyone post a copy of the actual letter received int he mail?

The TSB has an example of the letter sent to customers on the last page (page 4): http://racing.honda.com/hpd/images/p...ing_Update.pdf

john21031 04-03-2011 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by clicq (Post 979453)
The TSB has an example of the letter sent to customers on the last page (page 4): http://racing.honda.com/hpd/images/p...ing_Update.pdf

Thanks, but that's a letter to service managers.

clicq 04-03-2011 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by john21031 (Post 979455)
Thanks, but that's a letter to service managers.

This doesn't seem like it's addressed to the service manangers to me...

February 2011
Safety Recall: Lost Motion Springs

Dear Fit Owner:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the
requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle
Safety Act.

What is the reason for this notice?
Honda has decided that a defect, which relates to motor
vehicle safety, exists in certain 2009 and 2010 model year
Fit vehicles. There is a potential for one or more of the
four spring assemblies on the engine's variable valve
timing and lift electronic control (VTEC) system to fail
which may cause the engine to stall and prevent it from
being restarted. An engine stall will increase the risk of a
crash.

What should you do?
Call any authorized Honda dealer and make an
appointment to have your vehicle repaired. The dealer will
inspect and replace the spring assemblies in your engine
if necessary. This work will be done free of charge. Please
plan to leave your vehicle for a full day to allow the dealer
flexibility in scheduling.

Who to contact if you experience problems.
If you are not satisfied with the service you receive from
your Honda dealer, you may write to:
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
If you believe that American Honda or the dealer has
failed or is unable to remedy the defect in your vehicle,
without charge, within a reasonable period of time (60
days from the date you first contact the dealer for a repair
appointment), you may submit a complaint to:
Administrator
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
1200 New Jersey Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20590

Or call the toll-free Safety Hotline at 888-327-4236 (TTY
800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
What to do if you feel this notice is in error.
Our records show that you are the current owner or lessee
of a 2009 or a 2010 Fit involved in this campaign. If this is
not the case, or the name/address information is not
correct, please fill out and return the enclosed, postagepaid
Information Change Card. We will then update our
records.

Lessor information.
Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this
recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the
lessee within 10 days.

If you have questions.
If you have any questions about this notice, or need
assistance with locating a Honda dealer, please call
Honda Automobile Customer Service at 800-999-1009,
and select option 4.
We apologize for any inconvenience this campaign may
cause you.

Sincerely,
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Division
But it'd be interesting to see an actual letter to see if it matches.

john21031 04-03-2011 02:05 PM

Oh you are right. I mistakenly looked at the 5th page.

spin out 04-03-2011 05:13 PM

this is the only thing i got in the mail... and it's somewhat of a form-notice... a fill in the blank kind of thing...

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/2893/recall.jpg

patm95 04-04-2011 01:10 AM

Does anyone have the instructions on how to adjust the valves on one of these cars? I can't believe that the service technician would screw this up 2 times in a row. I would like to read up on how to do it before I go in, so I can be more educated on it. I know on the old V8's you just had to torque them down. I don't know see how that can be screwed up easily. Maybe this is more complicated? I can't imagine it being too bad.

psmo290 04-04-2011 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by patm95 (Post 979698)
Does anyone have the instructions on how to adjust the valves on one of these cars? I can't believe that the service technician would screw this up 2 times in a row. I would like to read up on how to do it before I go in, so I can be more educated on it. I know on the old V8's you just had to torque them down. I don't know see how that can be screwed up easily. Maybe this is more complicated? I can't imagine it being too bad.

Ah, I would like to know this as well. Just for educational purposes to protect myself from dealership's trickery

nukeme70 04-04-2011 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by clicq (Post 979457)
This doesn't seem like it's addressed to the service manangers to me...

But it'd be interesting to see an actual letter to see if it matches.

Just did a side-by-side comparison of the actual letter that I received - other than formatting, it's exact. If you'd like an actual image, let me know and I'll scan it in and post. Also included in the mailing was a return information card to submit if my information has changed.

geomarathoner 04-04-2011 08:48 AM

valve clearance adjustment

Originally Posted by psmo290 (Post 979719)
Ah, I would like to know this as well. Just for educational purposes to protect myself from dealership's trickery

Guys, this is covered in the service manual, pages 6-8 through 6-10. I'd post these pages right now but can't.....maybe someone else will? Anyway, the best pic of actual adjustment is the top right of page 6-9. Screwdriver, wrench, and feeler gauge....it'd be nice to have 3 hands, too. That little operation needs to be done 16 times, 4 for each cylinder, with the engine in 4 different positions through its rotation. Manual pic on page 6-32 shows all 16 adjusting screws.

Basically, the engine has to be at the right spot in its rotation first, so you're measuring clearances between the rocker roller and the cam lobe's base circle...ie the valve is fully closed, and each cylinder in order is at TDC. The procedure calls for rotating the engine by hand to #1 TDC, then #3, then #4, then #2. The camshaft sprocket has marks to make this easy to find TDC for each cylinder in order.

This is not hugely complicated but does need to be done carefully and in the right sequence. My concern is that many/most dealership techs have no experience doing this, and are learning on our cars.

geo

know-nothin 04-04-2011 09:26 AM

Since the recall work, I've put quite a few highway miles on the fit and it seems I've lost a couple or three mpgs. I used to get 40-41 on highway runs and now it's more like 38 or a hair less. I can't really say if the engine sound is different from before but there is a little bit of a "sewing machine" quality to it. I really can't hear the the tick-tick sound unless I pop the hood. I made a short cell phone video and would appreciate your opinions.

YouTube - Honda Fit engine sound check - clicking

Dagooch23 04-04-2011 09:32 AM

I just got mine back and I noticed that my clips are missing too.. good thing my brother-in-law is the service writer..Very good post!!

geomarathoner 04-04-2011 10:59 AM

NO that does not sound right

Originally Posted by know-nothin (Post 979764)
Since the recall work, I've put quite a few highway miles on the fit and it seems I've lost a couple or three mpgs. I used to get 40-41 on highway runs and now it's more like 38 or a hair less. I can't really say if the engine sound is different from before but there is a little bit of a "sewing machine" quality to it. I really can't hear the the tick-tick sound unless I pop the hood. I made a short cell phone video and would appreciate your opinions.

YouTube - Honda Fit engine sound check - clicking

If your video sounds...to you...like the engine does when you're listening to it directly, then NO that is NOT normal. I'll toss in that qualifier because all kinds of strange things can happen in the recording/playback process. Especially if the volume control is way high in an attempt to catch a faint sound. 'Cause to me, IF that's the actual sound level, the video is quite loud and a very rhythmic tapping. These engines have chains driving the cam. Chains make more noise than belts but chain noise is more of a whirring sound. Tapping is valve clearances that are off on the high side. Fainter clicking is the injectors. FWIW

geo