2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel studs!!!how

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Rear wheel studs!!!how

Can some one help me please i searched for and thread and can not find one..

can some give me info on how to change the rear wheel studs....im going to be running spacers and my kit came with extended wheel studs but i cant find a DIY or a thread to help me do this pictures would be greatly appreciated if possble but i really need the help????

and list of the step would be great and info on whether not i need to have them pressed in would help also

THANK YOU FOR LOOKING and thanks for your time

Old 07-22-2011, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Remove the wheel then pull off the brake drum. Reinstall the lug nuts on the lug studs just a few threads. Take a mini hand sledge and whack the stud with the lug nut on until it pops out the back. Take your new studs and put them in. You don't have to have these pressed in. What you have to do is put a lug nut on the new stud and tighten it. That will pull the stud through until it is seated properly. I did it this way on my jeep a few times.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Studs are on the bearing assembly. I would strongly recommend not trying to beat them out.
Bearing/sensor damage can/will result.

To do it right you'll need to press out the fronts and use a ball joint press for the rears.

Front hubs come off to do it, rears can be done in place after removing the brake drums.

K_C_

Old 07-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Studs are on the bearing assembly. I would strongly recommend not trying to beat them out.

To do it right you'll need to press out the fronts and use a ball joint press for the rears.

Front hubs come off to do it, rears can be done in place after removing the brake drums.
+1
Heat and hammering can easily damage wheel bearings if done wrong. See below thread for a prime example. Replacing a $5 wheel stud can morph into a $500+ repair bill.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...eaky-tire.html

_

Old 08-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal

K_C_
I have the same problem as the OP. I'm not quite sure I follow what you are say. So you are saying to take the front brakes, then take off the rear? I also don't follow about the 'ball point press'. Is this a certain type of tool that I can find at a auto store? please elaborate more

Old 08-09-2012, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
I don't really see tapping them out being an issue. At least it wasn't for me when I changed mine a couple of years back. One or two hits and they came out like butter.

Last edited by teamkitty; 08-12-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
DIY with picture I came accross DIY Replacing Wheel Studs, step by step Pic's - D-series.org I actually had to replace broken studs on my Corolla. I was stupid enough to use cheap open end lug nuts one year and froze on and rusted due to the winter.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
remove drums, then remove the hub

then remove stock studs with a hydraulic press, and install the extended studs, done!