2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles do you rack up a year on the Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Glad to see the high mileage reports coming out good. I plan on keeping this car for a long time so it's good to hear everyone's good experiences.

Will have had the car for 1 year next month and will have about 18k on it by then. Trips to Vegas and the Bay Area make up about 40% of it, the rest is commuting to work every day (traffic and lights).

So far, no problems except my Aux plug fuse blew out twice (Honda said it's my fault for unplugging Aux power with the key on ). Never had a problem doing that in any of my other cars, but ok.
You shouldn't have to turn your car off to unplug the aux power... That's absurd. If it happens again, take it back to Honda and if they say that again, ask them politely to show you where it says how to use it in the manual as you "just couldn't find it". That's a load of BS they are feeding you.

On topic, i'm going from about 15K/year to likely around 5k/year... due to my new job being 6 miles vs 26 miles (for the old one).

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 10-10-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
I blew a fuse by messing around with something one time. I believe that I have yet to have any problems except those caused by the lack of ground clearance.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
You shouldn't have to turn your car off to unplug the aux power... That's absurd. If it happens again, take it back to Honda and if they say that again, ask them politely to show you where it says how to use it in the manual as you "just couldn't find it". That's a load of BS they are feeding you.

On topic, i'm going from about 15K/year to likely around 5k/year... due to my new job being 6 miles vs 26 miles (for the old one).

~SB
I may not be so quick to blame the mechanics.

I think it's likely the accessory or plug you are using may not be well designed, so as you remove it, a short circuit occurs across the connections. Especially with the mass manufacture cheap electronics we have these days, this is definitely a possibility.

If this is the case, in some sense they are right, to plug/unplug with the car off; but it's more of a workaround to get around the faulty connector.

Last edited by raytseng; 10-10-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
I may not be so quick to blame the mechanics.

I think it's likely the accessory or plug you are using may not be well designed, so as you remove it, a short circuit occurs across the connections. Especially with the mass manufacture cheap electronics we have these days, this is definitely a possibility.

If this is the case, in some sense they are right, to plug/unplug with the car off; but it's more of a workaround to get around the faulty connector.
It is definitely a "work around" but if the mechanics are telling him that he is blowing it because he isn't turning the car off, that's incorrect. what they are stating is that the vehicle should be off when plugging/unplugging the accessory. granted we also don't have more info on it such as if it was the same accessory, if that's what they actually said, etc... but either way, the vehicle is meant to have accessories plugged/unplugged while on. (but I'm sure it prefers components that aren't crap)

That said, the 12V accessory plug is one of those items that would be hard to short because of it's design. (not that it can't happen - but it's unlikely).

~SB

Old 10-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
It is definitely a "work around" but if the mechanics are telling him that he is blowing it because he isn't turning the car off, that's incorrect. what they are stating is that the vehicle should be off when plugging/unplugging the accessory. granted we also don't have more info on it such as if it was the same accessory, if that's what they actually said, etc... but either way, the vehicle is meant to have accessories plugged/unplugged while on. (but I'm sure it prefers components that aren't crap)

That said, the 12V accessory plug is one of those items that would be hard to short because of it's design. (not that it can't happen - but it's unlikely).

~SB

I also thought that it might have been the plug I was using (cheap-o iphone charger) but my wife uses the same charger in her car every day to this day and has never had a problem. My factory Magellan GPS charger blew it too, so I dunno.

I'll replace the fuse again some day, idk if it's just me but I find it extremly uncomfortable trying to work in that fusebox area. Feel like I need to lay upsidedown on the drivers seat to see what i'm doing.