2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2011 Fit Locks wont unlock after parked

Old 09-04-2011, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers View Post
notice a difference in the two paragraphs?
Now I do - why did they have to bury the info into the text? People go by headings and the index for a reason, and I know I'm not the only one that has missed this info.

I stand by what I say - this is a very bad default setting, and the majority of people would want all doors, vs. just driver's door. Its terribly frustrating to the average person, and having them to mess with clicks and such is like trying to teach morse code to a blonde, if you get what I mean.

At least Honda has addressed delivery issues by training the sales reps on each model more now on the delivery process and customization. They still could avoid more complains if they had better defaults programmed in though. Rear doors always have kids safety locks in them, so the only reason to keep it this way is to save the actuators?... which means they're putting in cheap actuators and not wanting us to wear them out?

Old 09-04-2011, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
OH, so now it's BURIED...

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...TK62009OMA.pdf

Go to index,
look up doors
see power door locks listed on page 81
go to page 81
there's only 7-8 pages to read,

And it's not in microfonts stuffing 10000 words in a single column. You could probably send each column in 2 or 3 txt messages.

We're not reading Lord of the Rings here.

You're so full of excuses.

edit: to counter your other excuse... consider this.

Until cars drive themselves (or driven remotely)... there will ALWAYS be a driver. But no guarantee that where will be passengers. Defaulting to just driver's door is a SURE & SAFE thing. It's a freaking business decision.

How do you know you speak for the "majority" anyway? Did you take a substantial survey? No, you're making assumptions. Just because there are a "lot" of people coming online to "complain" about it, doesn't mean its a majority. Surely even YOU realize that just as there are people that go online, there are plenty that DON'T. In fact, I'm SURE there are LOTS MORE that don't come online, and neither you or I can assume anything about what they want.

Last edited by Goobers; 09-04-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Until cars drive themselves (or driven remotely)... there will ALWAYS be a driver. But no guarantee that where will be passengers. Defaulting to just driver's door is a SURE & SAFE thing. It's a freaking business decision.
Its a design decision, rather. And even when you have a driver, most people have stuff in other parts of the car... park car, open other door/hatch, retrieve stuff, then move off. I drive alone more than most people do and even then, I prefer all doors to driver's door, that says something right there.

Like I said, this makes no sense for most folks, but you're just enjoying being argumentative for the sake of it, so I'll bow out. In the end, its Honda that has the unhappy/frustrated customers to deal with, not me. Just trying to help them out, but geez, that's such a bad thing to some people?

Btw - care to share with us how your doors are programmed? Just curious.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
I have no problem telling you that changed mine to unlock all doors. You can easily know that simply by searching my past messages. I have it set that way because there was a time I had to plenty of passengers. But auto unlocking all doors doesn't even affect me when doing my deliveries, which is what I spent the majority of my time doing I my car, since I have to manually unlock my doors anyway because I don't have an AT nor do I shut off my engine when I stop to drop off the food.

Again, just as some people want to auto unlock all doors, some actually prefer to auto unlock only one door... not going to change much of anything other than which group is complaining.

You accuse me of being argumentive... I am, when i feel that someone needs to get off their high horse. In that regard, I probably fail more times than most, because some people are just too stubborn to realize/admit their folly. But, I'm not the one making presumptious statements claiming to know what "the majority" wants. I'm not making claims that Honda is creating unhappy customers just because of a single decision on the default unlock driver or unlock all position. I'm sure there are a few people like me, that are happier that Honda GAVE us the ability to change that setting than which setting they left it on. How many? I wouldn't know or attempt to guess.

Last edited by Goobers; 09-04-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Actually, I think you are someone that just wants to justify getting rid of their Fit. All I see are post after post from you complaining about minor details.
I was never happy with the Fit - I knew that within the first 6 months of ownership. Just didn't have enough of a reason to get rid of it so soon and I had planned on keeping it a long while when I first got it. Plus my commute was non highway until recently so the faults were easier to live with.

To be very honest - I had a lot of people ask me about the car during the time I owned it - colleagues at work or other friends, but I never have been able to recommend it to anyone. I'd usually just shrug and not say too much. I sure will miss the ability to throw stuff into the trunk though, those magic seats are awesome, no complains there. I never got crazy fuel economy numbers either, and from people I talked to when asked, they couldn't believe I was just getting low 30+mpg on it, they wanted to hear like 40mpg, or high 30s even if you're not doing much highway. And there was a colleague that was shopping for a car for her daughter, that I didn't influence, and they hated the Fit's ride after the test drive (I wasn't all that surprised), ended up getting her a Sonata (previous gen).

Despite all the shortcomings, the Fit is one of the best looking cars IMO. Love the looks, love the interior spaciousness, love the '09-11 cloth seats even though they are a lint magnet. Just too many other little compromises for me, and I suspect not everyone will be happy in a Fit. Its not like a vanilla Civic/Corolla/Accord/Camry kind of car, that most people may not be passionate about, but generally all will find to be great transportation. I do wish Honda made a sportier, slightly bigger, faster, 5-door option for the US market.

Was very very close to getting a Mazda 3... biggest issue I have is the lousy fuel economy but the next gen SkyActiv engine 3s might be a very good thing for Mazda. Totally loving the Si though, other than lacking the extra trunk utility, and I've wanted an Si for quite a while (just the practical side of me tried to talk me out of it in the past, though with the sedan its at least got more room now vs. when they were coupes only, and yes the premium fuel, I figured, what's one less nice meal out a week?). I do have a U-Haul and a Home Depot that I can walk to, and rent a truck/van easily enough though.

Yes I do understand why you don't really care in your instance about the auto lock settings, but manual transmissions again are always a small market in the US... its really more of a moot point for the MT since the unlock after transmission off happens much later than shifting into park in an automatic. Still did set the Si to unlock all doors - much easier given a menu to navigate vs. fiddling around with the ignition.

Edit - btw, I do think FitFreak is a great community, one of the reasons I didn't mind staying around some, even if we may not all agree all the time.

Last edited by neteng101; 09-04-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
In my defense, I didn't say you shouldn't have gotten rid of the car. I understand that sometimes, you just don't get what you wanted.

For myself, I got more than I had originally wanted when I was first shopping for a new car. I had planned on getting the Insight II, what I thought was a decent compromise between comfort and being green. But when my sister pointed out the 2nd gen Fit at the dealer, I was basically smitten.

That was the first time I had seen the Fit since Top Gear did a review of a first Gen. I had totally forgotten about it since.

Once I bought the car, I found a couple of details I didn't like, like how easily it is to leave scratches on the plastic glove compartment and that my upper compartment wasn't nicely lined up (off the top of my head). But they are, for me, very minor issues. Other potential major issues like seat comfort, noise level, etc... never became an issue for me. I have been very comfortable in my Fit (more so with my seat covers). As small as the engine is, it is very peppy and quite fun to drive.

In any case, the main reason I started replying to your earlier messages, was because you were making the default unlock behavior into a huge "make/break" Honda sales issue. I mean really, is it a big deal? Like I said, I'm happier knowing they gave us the ability to change it. I actually would be annoyed if they hadn't, even if it were set "the way I wanted."

Another thing that seriously drives me up the wall, people claiming they know what "everyone" or even "mostly everyone" wants. You and I can only speak for ourselves. Even when we know what "some" people want, who is to say, changing it to satisfy that group would be any better? In the case of the locks, just as you are sure there would be happier owners if the default was to unlock all, I am sure there would be a group that would now be unhappy about it. If you have a choice between group A vs b? You'd rely on whatever other factors there are... and from a security/safety standpoint, unlocking only one door might be better, especially, in a country that has individuals that would throw lawsuits at the car maker because some criminal got into their car as they were getting in too. Refer to McDonald's hot coffee fiasco. As stupid as the lawsuit is/would be, no business wants it inflicted upon them.

How about we leave the political, or at least, opinionated post to off-topic sections.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=neteng101;1029546]

I stand by what I say - this is a very bad default setting, and the majority of people would want all doors, vs. just driver's door. Its terribly frustrating to the average person, and having them to mess with clicks and such is like trying to teach morse code to a blonde, if you get what I mean.

I have a feeling that quite a few of our FITs are owned by blondes.

Flea