2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

CR-Z aluminum lower arms...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by blackndecker
:facepalm:
Sorry to be a d!k, but have you even bothered to read any of the info/links I've shared? This will work but (may) require custom axles. I already proved using Honda part numbers that these will bolt up to the Fit subframe...I don't understand why you guys are still confused about this?

Im not confused, and yes i did read your post. These aren't CRZ arms, these are the arms from a Honda Insight as mentioned above, as one person stated these "should" bolt up without the use of axles or whatnot but no one has done the mod to see if it actual does indeed work..

Old 01-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
Im not confused, and yes i did read your post. These aren't CRZ arms, these are the arms from a Honda Insight as mentioned above, as one person stated these "should" bolt up without the use of axles or whatnot but no one has done the mod to see if it actual does indeed work..
If the Insight and Fit have the same subframe then they will bolt up...no ifs/ands/or buts.

The only unknown at this point is the knuckles...I don't recall, but does the Insight also have aluminum knuckles? If so, this could potentially be a significant mod to reduce unsprung weight for an auto-x build. If you swap the LCAs and also do a CRZ 5-lug swap you will probably end up adding more unsprung weight than you removed (5 lug hubs are alot heavier than 4 lug). Aluminum knuckles, aluminum LCAs, and 4 lug with 15" RPF1s would result in SIGNIFICANT weight savings.

But....honestly though, swapping LCAs should be among the last mods on a fully built and prepped GE8. This is not going to result in any noticeable improvement in an otherwise stock Fit.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:18 PM
If the Insight and Fit have the same subframe then they will bolt up...no ifs/ands/or buts.

The only unknown at this point is the knuckles...I don't recall, but does the Insight also have aluminum knuckles? If so, this could potentially be a significant mod to reduce unsprung weight for an auto-x build. If you swap the LCAs and also do a CRZ 5-lug swap you will probably end up adding more unsprung weight than you removed (5 lug hubs are alot heavier than 4 lug). Aluminum knuckles, aluminum LCAs, and 4 lug with 15" RPF1s would result in SIGNIFICANT weight savings.

But....honestly though, swapping LCAs should be among the last mods on a fully built and prepped GE8. This is not going to result in any noticeable improvement in an otherwise stock Fit.
They may bolt up but what isn't known to me is if they geometry is the same like front track etc.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:22 PM
The front track will be a few mm wider....but this is a good thing. You will need to run some camber bolts but this will be necessary anyways for the McPherson struts flawed camber curve (compared with double wishbone). But like I said, this is really a pointless mod for a DD...this would be more for a road race or auto-x car.

What exactly is it you're trying to accomplish with this mod?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:45 PM
The front track will be a few mm wider....but this is a good thing. You will need to run some camber bolts but this will be necessary anyways for the McPherson struts flawed camber curve (compared with double wishbone). But like I said, this is really a pointless mod for a DD...this would be more for a road race or auto-x car.

What exactly is it you're trying to accomplish with this mod?

Improve overall handling of this econobox for more fun. Coming from a long line of Nissan sports cars and sport compacts I'm used to handling prowess and would like to dial it in where i can,it doesn't have power so I was hoping to make it up in good handling. That's why I bought lightweight wheels, shopped for light tires, I'd like to chop weight in places that count. So I'm not out to strip the interior or anything. Next on the list is a high quality coilover set.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:56 PM
From my research on the LCAs:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/954392-post269.html

And regarding the CRZ axles and half-shaft:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/954401-post271.html

Out of curiosity...have you done any actual research into this? I only ask because this info is readily available by cross-referencing part numbers. This swap will bolt up using all your existing GE8 hardware (nuts, bolts, etc).

Why don't you just buy one CRZ LCA...if it doesn't fit, send it back or try to exchange it for something else. Worse case scenario, you'll only be out about $250. If you can't even swing that for R&D then you have no business modifying your fit to begin with.

Or are you just hoping somebody else will take all of the risk for you?

Old 01-14-2013, 04:18 PM
From my research on the LCAs:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/954392-post269.html

And regarding the CRZ axles and half-shaft:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/954401-post271.html

Out of curiosity...have you done any actual research into this? I only ask because this info is readily available by cross-referencing part numbers. This swap will bolt up using all your existing GE8 hardware (nuts, bolts, etc).

Why don't you just buy one CRZ LCA...if it doesn't fit, send it back or try to exchange it for something else. Worse case scenario, you'll only be out about $250. If you can't even swing that for R&D then you have no business modifying your fit to begin with.

Or are you just hoping somebody else will take all of the risk for you?

Again im not looking to do the CRZ swap as that is more complex then id like to get myself into with axles and shit. Trying to keep it quite simple. At this point in time, im in the point of research, i know nothing of what Honda uses what or interchanges with other models this is my first Honda car and i noticed Insight parts looking the same as my Fit layout did a quick search and found this thread. Ask me about Nissan and id show you how to shoehorn a VQ35 into a B15 Sentra. Im not asking for anyone to take a risk for me, but im sure anyone that is trying to do so is doing it for their own project upgrades and not for me so no need to be a prick dude.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:23 PM
I think you misunderstand....you don't have to swap your axles or half-shaft. Your Fit axles and half shaft will work fine with this swap. However, it will be much much more interesting if the Insight knuckles are plug and play.

My nonapologetic argument for being a prick:
We get a lot of Mickey Mouse questions on this forum...people don't research and end up asking the same questions over and over and over again....then they complain about the cost.

If you want to do some research for your car, I suggest attending some B-spec races...ask lots of questions and take some pictures of the suspension modifications those guys are performing. /argument

Old 01-14-2013, 04:50 PM
I think you misunderstand....you don't have to swap your axles or half-shaft. Your Fit axles and half shaft will work fine with this swap. However, it will be much much more interesting if the Insight knuckles are plug and play.

My nonapologetic argument for being a prick:
We get a lot of Mickey Mouse questions on this forum...people don't research and end up asking the same questions over and over and over again....then they complain about the cost.

If you want to do some research for your car, I suggest attending some B-spec races...ask lots of questions and take some pictures of the suspension modifications those guys are performing. /argument
That's exactly what im trying to find out, if i can plug in insight parts without mods, but like stated, im just researching at this point and not trying to invest any money until im fairly sure everything will work.

In my response to your comment, after a certain point every thing has been covered before so personally my take is each time someone starts a thread of something that has been covered occasionally you get different resposnes that add things to the table. If everyone just does a search finds a 3 year old thread that has been covered no one would have anything new to post or add something better to it. If i do a search on say a " double din radio kit" and only 1 thread existed regarding a Metra kit in 2009, how is that person asking going to know if a Scosche or whatever one exists in present time? Again, someone will throw in new options or advices when it gets asked again even though it has been covered.

Im not complaining about costs, ive had many expensive to mod cars, but you do have to remember this is a cheap car therefore you will get people who will complain.

Bspec races wont cover mods some of us are trying to do, i mean sanctioned racing has rules and regulation regarding suspension modifications and limitations, they can give you a good idea on how to get your car dialed in good with what you have but nothing more.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:02 AM
Just out of curiosity, if swapping LCA's is so worthless, why are you wasting so much time trying to argue your point?

IMO this site has just as many people trying to argue how stupid they believe a post is as the people that post stupid questions.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Schoat333
Just out of curiosity, if swapping LCA's is so worthless, why are you wasting so much time trying to argue your point?

IMO this site has just as many people trying to argue how stupid they believe a post is as the people that post stupid questions.
He's only saying its worthless if your only DD your car. If you Auto-X or track your fit this mod should be help since you will be cut down on some unsprung weight.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Schoat333

Lol...Internet is serious business for ya bruh.
Originally Posted by swflej1
He's only saying its worthless if your only DD your car. If you Auto-X or track your fit this mod should be help since you will be cut down on some unsprung weight.
This. I'm all for pushing the envelope and developing the handling prowess...but it's pretty annoying when people won't even bother to read and study the preceding discussion/links/etc.

Same questions still being asked after all this time....god forbid somebody spend a little money on R&D

Old 01-15-2013, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Same questions still being asked after all this time....god forbid somebody spend a little money on R&D
That is very true. I guess I'll pull the trigger since the holidays are over. I should have some money by march to buy just one if not I'll ask for one for my birthday to do some test fitting, then post the outcome.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Awesome buddy! Way to help out the community!

Old 03-31-2021, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Axles

Great news! The CRZ drive shafts would definitely bolt up...but this would dramatically increase the cost of the swap. The driveshaftshop.com could make a custom set (maybe even out of titanium to decrease even more weight) but again this would be expensive. I would really love to see the Insight or CRZ get aluminum knuckles...this would save alot of weight.
Axles about $65 at RockAuto.com. Not bad