2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Damn rattle; be gone!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
Talking Damn rattle; be gone!!!

I've never had a car that was free from annoying rattles, but I think I've finally squashed a really big one in my Fit! Yay!

I had that blasted rattle from the tailgate. Took the panel off last summer and wrapped every little thing that could even budge with styrofoam wrap. (The styrofoam that looks like a thick sheet.)

No dice. This spring the rattle came back with a vengeance. Finally found that it was the entire panel knocking against the tailgate. Added more styrofoam sheeting to the entire width of the panel (instead of just the items in the tailgate) to take up the slack space.

And with that, it's dead! Goodbye damn rattle! Now to find the one in the dash...

Old 05-30-2012, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
Pics Of said wrapping?

Describe the dash one.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Pics Of said wrapping?

Describe the dash one.
After driving to and from work today I can breathe a sigh of relief that the tailgate rattle is dead. Finally.

The dash noise is hard to describe. Mild. Sounds like it could be plastic material. It's hard to locate, but it's almost like it comes from the cup holder area. Maybe under the gear selector? Maybe it's time for more foam wrap!

Old 05-31-2012, 04:19 AM
i have the same noise coming from the gear area.

when stopped, try moving a bit (towards doors, left-right) the whole plastic panel which covers the gear selector - you will hear the same sound.
same noise coming off when lightly moving left-right the central arm-rest.
actually the movement of the armrest moves also the central plastic panel.

also, if you hard press with your fingers, from both sides, the central plastic panel (right under the armrest, from both sides of the 2 mobile phone small holders) and in the same time slightly move left/right the armrest, you will notice the noise has disappeared.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
When I took delivery on my 2012, I insisted that the dealer attach the license plate with 4 bolts…the plate on my 2010 rattled like crazy until I bolted it down.
Now if I could just figure out the cause of the dratted buzzing that is coming from the dash of my '94 Prizm!!!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by phinegan
When I took delivery on my 2012, I insisted that the dealer attach the license plate with 4 bolts…the plate on my 2010 rattled like crazy until I bolted it down.
Now if I could just figure out the cause of the dratted buzzing that is coming from the dash of my '94 Prizm!!!
After 18 years is it worth finding?

There are all kinds of things I'd like to add to my car, such as the center console armrest or a stereo upgrade, but those pesky bills get in the way. But I think the center console will get some real scrutiny when I do finally get the armrest to install.

Until then...

Old 06-03-2012, 02:51 PM
I took my car to the dealership and they found the rattle to be on the right front driveshaft. There was some type of cover or boot which was loose. It just required some tightening. The rattle was coming from the right front and I thought it was something in the dash. Luckily, they didnt charge me anything. I remember it being loud and annoying enough.