2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it safe to drill 2012 Fit Base Dash here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezdealz
Maybe I should put a picture in it when it not being used?
I hear what you are saying; but as I use my car mainly in my business I see it as a functional tool, I suppose if looks were important to me I would have gotten a sport but this is a functional feature for me. I used to race SCCA so I do appreacite where you are coming from. I do miss my sports car days. Ah the joy of owning a Fiat or an English sports car (Gee, I wonder what is going to break today?)
it's your car and definitely no problems here.

another option would be to get these high-end cup mount holders and fit it in the driver side near the door? i own one and use it on my other car for recording audio. very stable and completely removable when not in use. comes with both smartphone and tablet mounts.

Satechi SCH-121 Cup Holder Mount for Smartphohes & Tablets: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPad 2, Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Galaxy 10.1, Viewsonic Gtablet, Blackberry Playbook, HTC Flyer, iPhone, BlackBerry, Galaxy S II, S III

Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
I have a less expensive cup holder mount for my GPS- I use the cupholder in the lower center, driver's side. It comes loose a few times a year when the weather changes, then I need to re-secure it.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a "beanbag" holder. I have one for my gps and it's perfect, never has moved when I've been driving. There appears to be a wide variety available, maybe one will work for your phone.

Amazon.com: Garmin Portable Friction Mount - Frustration Free Packaging: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: Garmin Portable Friction Mount - Frustration Free Packaging: GPS & Navigation

Old 08-24-2012, 09:35 PM
I use the windshield mount - works perfectly fine. Wonder why it's an issue with you

Old 08-25-2012, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
As others have said, don't drill into a perfectly good dash! My solution was to stick the disk in the under dash console left hand cup holder. I then used a suction mount with a long gooseneck mount. You can bend and twist the gooseneck to get the GPS into any position you like. This method held the unit very securely and wasn't very intrusive. Additionally, you can easily remove the mount without leaving any marks.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rampo
As others have said, don't drill into a perfectly good dash! My solution was to stick the disk in the under dash console left hand cup holder. I then used a suction mount with a long gooseneck mount. You can bend and twist the gooseneck to get the GPS into any position you like. This method held the unit very securely and wasn't very intrusive. Additionally, you can easily remove the mount without leaving any marks.
I'm not sure if you are talking about where the two cup holders are, in front of the shift selector. Directly above it is where I stuck the mounting disk that came with my TomTom and I mount mine there. It's out of the way and awesome. I always hated mounting gps's on the windshield as it creates a terrible distraction. With my gps where it is, I'm able to clear distractions from the windshield and just take quick glances down at it.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by calrose rice
I'm not sure if you are talking about where the two cup holders are, in front of the shift selector. Directly above it is where I stuck the mounting disk that came with my TomTom and I mount mine there. It's out of the way and awesome. I always hated mounting gps's on the windshield as it creates a terrible distraction. With my gps where it is, I'm able to clear distractions from the windshield and just take quick glances down at it.
I never thought of mounting the disk above where you did. You're right about my location. I stuck the disk in one of the console cupholders to the left of the shift lever.
Some pictures of my mounting arrangement in this link:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...ml#post1128491