2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilover/Stance/Rake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Coilover/Stance/Rake?

No it's not what you think...I'm not going Hellfrush!

I'm wondering what kind of stance would look best as I make final adjustments to my coilovers before alignment this Saturday. I raised the front a little bit to cut out some of the rubbing. Now I'm set at a dead even drop all the way around (the front was a little lower than the back apparently)

Do you think the car needs to be raised a little more in the rear than the front to give it some rake or should it be dropped w/ an even tire/fender gap all the way around?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Best stance for a car?

Take it to a performance shop.
Have them corner balance it.
ENJOY.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah my favorite shop is moving and isn't set up for another 3 weeks. I don't trust many people in Bmore w/ my car. Maybe after this and my winter stance, I'll go for that.

Thanks mike!

Last edited by lowkeymods; 06-25-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
In that case, I'd just go for level drop all around, preferably with as little gap as possible.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I raised the front, but the Tein Street Basis have a soft spring rate w/o being able to adjust dampening. So...if I'm still rubbing I'm just going to say eff it, cut the liners, roll the fenders, and drop it like you see in my sig. I hate living in pothole infested B-more. I've thought about video taping my drive to work, just so you guys see this mess

Old 06-25-2012, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
Two words: "Camber bolts". Using those to add some negative camber in (and maybe tucking the fender liner) should do the trick and reduce your rubbing if you decide to lower the front... Depending on your wheel/tire setup and ride height of course.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I'm running camber bolts right now + the camber from the drop that hasn't been pulled in w/ an alignment. Rubbing still, not on turns but on those damn 30mph potholes that you can't really see well enough to avoid. However, it's clear that my tires are clearing the actual fender for now. I'm worried that w/ an alignment that 1-1.5 degrees isn't going to be enough. Any more than that and I feel that I'll shread up my tires.

It's funny that I bought this car for practicality. Now, I can't drive over potholes, haul things w/o thinking about the sub in the trunk, or haul people for fear of rubbing...might as well be driving the 2 seater CRZ

Last edited by lowkeymods; 06-25-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
Right now I think my car is cornering and handling better than ever due to coilovers and larger tires... It is close to being at stock height and sitting about level on each end... With as much rubber as your car has on it I'd think you could probably be able to safely raise the rear a quite a bit higher if that is what you like... Personally I like the looks of a forward rake.. I don't have any preload on the front coils and use very little front dampening. On the rear end I drop the tire pressure down a little and stiffen the damping a bit more than I do the front... It seems to stick better when cornering with the ass end raised if the coilovers are set that way.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
I'm running a +40 offset. Of course if I was running my dream wheels in a higher offset I'd be set

Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Right now I think my car is cornering and handling better than ever due to coilovers and larger tires... It is close to being at stock height and sitting about level on each end... With as much rubber as your car has on it I'd think you could probably be able to safely raise the rear a quite a bit higher if that is what you like... Personally I like the looks of a forward rake.. I don't have any preload on the front coils and use very little front dampening. On the rear end I drop the tire pressure down a little and stiffen the damping a bit more than I do the front... It seems to stick better when cornering with the ass end raised if the coilovers are set that way.

Thanks Texas. Hate to say it but I'm not too worried as much about performance as looks/practicality. Unfortunately these 2 don't mix so well

Old 06-26-2012, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=

It's funny that I bought this car for practicality. Now, I can't drive over potholes, haul things w/o thinking about the sub in the trunk, or haul people for fear of rubbing...might as well be driving the 2 seater CRZ[/QUOTE]
I got over the extreme drop thing about 30 years ago... I'd much rather be able to enjoy driving without always worrying about what I might end up damaging or what other people other people may think of how my car looks... I have only waxed my car once in the 6 years I have had it but have spent a shitload of money improving it's performance... Except for a neighbors 15 year old grandson that gives me a hand on occasion I am the only person that has turned a wrench on the thing... I finally broke down and spent $500 for a freshly painted one piece front bumper and projector lens retro fit headlights but have parts that will probably show a power increase of around 2 1/2 times what it had when stock.. It's a lot of fun showing up where all of the boost junkies hang out in town and see them on their phones calling other guys to come look at my Fit and then going out for a run on one of the farm to market roads with other guys that have cars that also shoot a 3' flame out of the exhaust when shifting gears at red line... If the temperature drops down some I'll get things finished sooner... I'll probably be out on the JDM tractor cutting fire breaks this week because of the threat of wildfires again this summer... I pulled my front bumper loose from the fenders last year when the sheriffs department had us and my neighbors evacuate the area that they were sure a fire that started 5 miles away would cross the road and burn us all out.. I guess I'm getting too old for all of this kind of shit... Hopefully I'll be able to finally post some pictures of my car in the not too distant future.. Maybe some of the local gear heads tire smoking fire breathing creations also...Excuse the rambling rant, it is what happens when I have only gotten 3 hours sleep in the last 60 or 70 hours...

Old 06-26-2012, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
I totally respect your perspective and build, and would love to see pics. I'm not a part of a local scene, or anything of the sort. In fact, the only cars I see regularly that are modified in Baltimore are Crown Vics on Dubs I'm just building this for myself and to enjoy seeing everyday outside my house and in the parking lot after work. I would also like to add to the list: enjoy driving it to/from work.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lowkeymods
Thanks Texas. Hate to say it but I'm not too worried as much about performance as looks/practicality. Unfortunately these 2 don't mix so well
Well I have to admit that your car looks really great... My last really tricked out looking car was a red 81 VW diesel truck that I ran a newspaper district in Dallas out of.. I bought a 1500cc gas powered Rabbit for $300 in 1986 and became hooked on modifying small FWD hatchbacks.. It's an addiction that is worse than opiates, which reminds me that I need to take my medications and have a cold Heineken...