2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mpg update!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:47 AM
I floored it out of the gas station once, and got the meter down to 14mpg....

Honestly, I drive the shit out of my fit, and can't get the mpg tank avg below 35. It's crazy to see that people get under 20mpg.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
I been averaging around 34 mpg I figure because the car is not broken in since I had it for one month. If I was averaging in the low 20s I would have a dealer check it out. Myself I would be disappointed since I passed on cars such as the WRX, GTI and and several higher performance cars because of the MPG.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
105 miles/ day on highway, 4 on stop & go with some traffic (maybe 100 minutes to go 109 miles?), drive 80MPH if possible, get 33-37MPG from the computer reading.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blazej
105 miles/ day on highway, 4 on stop & go with some traffic (maybe 100 minutes to go 109 miles?), drive 80MPH if possible, get 33-37MPG from the computer reading.
Sorry, only odometer mile difference divided by gallons to refill count.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Schoat333
I floored it out of the gas station once, and got the meter down to 14mpg....

Honestly, I drive the shit out of my fit, and can't get the mpg tank avg below 35. It's crazy to see that people get under 20mpg.

And I can't believe your statement unless you don't know how to find the mpg.
Next refill divide the miles driven since last refill more than 200 miles ago and divide by the gallons needed to refill. So far nobody that 'drives the 'crap' out their fit get 30, much less 35 mpg. On track my fit only averages 70 mph but struggles to get 15 mpg. I have many witnesses.(course, they are amazed I get more than 10 since their cars average only 75-80 mph and get 6 to 8 mpg.)

Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by mahout
And I can't believe your statement unless you don't know how to find the mpg.
Next refill divide the miles driven since last refill more than 200 miles ago and divide by the gallons needed to refill. So far nobody that 'drives the 'crap' out their fit get 30, much less 35 mpg. On track my fit only averages 70 mph but struggles to get 15 mpg. I have many witnesses.(course, they are amazed I get more than 10 since their cars average only 75-80 mph and get 6 to 8 mpg.)
Believe what you want, I really don't give a damn. I'll continue to enjoy my mpg.

p.s. I fill at 1/4 every time. Trip reads 275-285 miles usually. 7.5-8 gallons. Can you do math? My meter is usually dead on as well.

Last edited by Schoat333; 07-06-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
So I think something might be up with fuelly....I did the next refill using their mobile site and left the slider indicating city/hwy split alone.

Avg for last fill: 30 mpg

I've checked my odometer and haven't been mistyping. I'll continue using fuelly without the slider and monitor for consistency

UG avg: 24.9
Fit avg: 25.6
Fuelly avg: 24.6 (despite occassional 19mpg tanks)

Hey if I can get 250k out of her I'll learn to live with 25 mpg avg.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Santiad
So I think something might be up with fuelly....I did the next refill using their mobile site and left the slider indicating city/hwy split alone.

Avg for last fill: 30 mpg

I've checked my odometer and haven't been mistyping. I'll continue using fuelly without the slider and monitor for consistency

UG avg: 24.9
Fit avg: 25.6
Fuelly avg: 24.6 (despite occassional 19mpg tanks)

Hey if I can get 250k out of her I'll learn to live with 25 mpg avg.
With 20 and then 30 back to back, but with a lifetime average of ~25mpg, I'd guess that you mistyped something last time. I don't use fuelly, but if you enter odo numbers, a mistake where you enter a lower than actually milage once would show something like that.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 AM
I own the '11 Fit auto base model. I drive about 50/50, highway-urban driving. I get 35 MPG w/o AC and about 32/33 w/ AC. Pure highway driving gets me 40-41 MPG w/o AC, & about 38 w AC. I run my tyres at 34 pounds. I also turn off the AC when I can and live on cabin air -you don't need as much fresh air as you think. NEXT: Watch your foot @ 0-25 MPH. The Fit was designed to provide peppy performance at take-off. This costs fuel at low RPMs. If you develop a light foot in this range, it helps a lot. Use the vacuum guage on the dash (MPG) to reform your driving behaviour. ALSO: DO NOT TOP OFF YOUR TANK! -no matter how much the petrol station lads tell you that they cannot take change! It's the LAW. I keep exact change in the car for this purpose. I count it out exactly and STILL they don't want to take it! They want to run the petrol so the price comes out to the dollar because they nor their manager knows how to count change. Most Americans cannot add simple factions so the gas jokeys ought to chill out a bit. If you top your tank off, a half gallon can be wasted because it evaporates out the fuel spout. The fuel is not meant to rise above the internal safety flap/valve. They don't call it "gas" for nothing. If you top off your tank, you are loosing most of the extra fuel. Plus, environmentally, it's a pretty big thing. -E.g. Air pollution and wasted petrol. GL

Old 08-14-2012, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BixLives
I own the '11 Fit auto base model. I drive about 50/50, highway-urban driving. I get 35 MPG w/o AC and about 32/33 w/ AC. Pure highway driving gets me 40-41 MPG w/o AC, & about 38 w AC. I run my tyres at 34 pounds. I also turn off the AC when I can and live on cabin air -you don't need as much fresh air as you think. NEXT: Watch your foot @ 0-25 MPH. The Fit was designed to provide peppy performance at take-off. This costs fuel at low RPMs. If you develop a light foot in this range, it helps a lot. Use the vacuum guage on the dash (MPG) to reform your driving behaviour. ALSO: DO NOT TOP OFF YOUR TANK! -no matter how much the petrol station lads tell you that they cannot take change! It's the LAW. I keep exact change in the car for this purpose. I count it out exactly and STILL they don't want to take it! They want to run the petrol so the price comes out to the dollar because they nor their manager knows how to count change. Most Americans cannot add simple factions so the gas jokeys ought to chill out a bit. If you top your tank off, a half gallon can be wasted because it evaporates out the fuel spout. The fuel is not meant to rise above the internal safety flap/valve. They don't call it "gas" for nothing. If you top off your tank, you are loosing most of the extra fuel. Plus, environmentally, it's a pretty big thing. -E.g. Air pollution and wasted petrol. GL

First, please alert the EPA that those absobber canisters in the fuel system don't work to absorb fumes between driving and sucking the fumes back in when driving..
Second, whats the point about not topping off the tank? Topping to the nearest doillar after auto shutting off makes accounting easier and calculating mpg as well because you're more likedly to gedt consist refill levels.(no, thats not advocating filling tgo the brim) . Just how do you measure your mpg with so much uncertainty of refilling?
Likewise, is turning the air off a new feature of hypermiling?
If mpg means that much you should buy a Civic hybrid or the upcoming Fit electric.
Last, the Fit engine is more of a high rpm engine than low rpm. Engines with low rpm cams pretty much are limited to 5000 rpm red lines. At 6500 rpm the Fit cams, and variable cams, are a feature of higher performance engines. Getting even 117 hp out of 91 cubic inch engines (1.28 hp per cubic inch unboosted is more like NASCAR than truck engines) are another sign of the designed performance range.

Last edited by mahout; 08-14-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:16 AM
You are an Idiot

But I am not the one with poor milage.

There is a piece of pipe leading to the fuel tank that has nothing but an evaporation chamber leading to a charcoal canister. Go ahead and top off. You are waisting fuel and pissing off the Sierra Club (they care about the environment -remember?). This is the last message I will post. A fellow was getting poor milage. I tried to help and got YOU instead. Go jump on yourself. I am an engineer and I design this stuff. Geese, you ARE a fool. I won't be on this site again.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Isn't there a note in the manual that explicitly says something to the effect of, "Do not 'top off' the tank while refueling"?

Old 10-03-2012, 11:12 PM
My MPG for mixed driving in my base auto currently stands at 39.7. Light foot, cruise control when possible, and I never drive over 60 mph. Dork, right? You get used to it, it's safe, and it actually saves the tires some stress in addition to providing great gas mileage.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jeffdrivefit
My MPG for mixed driving in my base auto currently stands at 39.7. Light foot, cruise control when possible, and I never drive over 60 mph. Dork, right? You get used to it, it's safe, and it actually saves the tires some stress in addition to providing great gas mileage.

Driving like yoiu would stress the heck out of me; you drive like you're constantly on a cell phone.