2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Use of fix a flat

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
Use of fix a flat

Hey guys and gals,

Easy one:
Question: Can Fix a Flat be used on Honda Fits?

I had a slow leak and guess what I used to plug it up? Leak is fixed but did I just make a $400 sensor boo boo?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:06 PM
The goop is TPMS safe in most instances.

The goop is only used for a temporary repair. You should get your tire properly fixed and the goop removed form the inside of your tire. You might notice at higher speeds (60-70mph) a wobble in your tire because it is now out of balance.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Alot of places will not repair tires with fixaflat inside. I know it's against Firestone policy for sure

Old 08-28-2012, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Fix A flat can also gum-up your TPMS Sensors so i'd have it properly repaired/cleaned ASAP so you don't lose a Sensor.

That stuff is NOT recommended for TPMS Systems and Honda Only incudes it on Canadian models since they don't have TPMS Sensors.

~SB

Old 08-28-2012, 10:44 PM
I have to disagree with a couple of posts above.

Fix a Flat and a great many others like it now use a formula that is water based and is very easy to remove from tires.

It is possible that the gunk will hamper the TPMS temporarily. After proper cleaning, inspection and reinstallation the sensor will work correctly.

Some tire manufacturers do not recomend the use of this product simply because it cuts into their bottom line when consumers fail to purchase a new tire.

Some shops will use this myth to sell you a new expensive sensor.

Again the new formulation of this kind of flat repair kit is water soluble. Will rinse out with water, and will not affect your TPMS sensor.

Gone are the days when the propellant in these kits were flammable. That's right. Mechanics were deathly afraid to mess with tires repaired with these kits in the olden days for fear of blowing themselves up!

BMW now include a $97 sealant kit in their cars that have TPMS sensors as an example of the new formulation's safety.

The downside of course is that there is a lot of humidity in your tire. The slime will break down over time. The air leak will return.

This is meant as temporary repair. Get your tire and TPMS sensor cleaned and repaired correctly and you should be just fine. Don't let a crooked mechanic or shop tell you you need a new expensive sensor. They are incorrect. Take it somewhere else.

PS: if you used an old can that's been in your garage for the last 5 years well....you are on your own. Sorry.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:52 AM
To each their own. I would never use that stuff. I'd take the tire off, and use soapy water to find the leak. Then plug it properly.

Putting a plug in the tread of the tire is so simple, but people always shy away from it.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:57 AM
it could be a life saver for long trips... I carried a can just in case during the 28hr drive to wekfest nj / nyc and back

Old 08-29-2012, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
Fix a flat is sh*t. Not the sh*t but sh*t. Will cause tpms failure will make tire nonrepairable. Will get you home in an emergency but next nail or screw will cost you possibly= new tire, tpms sensor, calibrating tpms.... take your tire to americas tire if your to lazy to do it right but don't use fixaflat

Old 08-29-2012, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Dwayne its not a conspiracy. Honda didn't put that can in your hatch the dealer did cause its cheaper than a spare....

Old 08-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by joey_fits
Dwayne its not a conspiracy. Honda didn't put that can in your hatch the dealer did cause its cheaper than a spare....
Nitpick, Honda did put a can of fixaflat in Canadian AT fits. It's the standard equipment.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by seanpatrickk
Hey guys and gals,

Easy one:
Question: Can Fix a Flat be used on Honda Fits?

I had a slow leak and guess what I used to plug it up? Leak is fixed but did I just make a $400 sensor boo boo?
yah, chances are your tpms is dead and probably your tire too. if it's a nail or small screw, you can plug it from the outside using a $7 kit.... or have a tire shop patch it from the inside.

best would've been to just use the spare but you dont need the internet preaching at you what you should've done.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
Nitpick, Honda did put a can of fixaflat in Canadian AT fits. It's the standard equipment.
I stand corrected. It turns out that fix a flat only causes"temporarly malfunctions" to the tpms and can be "simply disassembled ,cleaned and reassembled "
so who wants to be the guy that'll admit that its a better call to patch it properly? Ill give you some more details.. not to be used if punctured sidewall, not to be used on large puncture and a classic warning" for use in emergency situations" its not really ment to be a permanent. fix. Keep in mind you must unmount the tire to "clean" tpms.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Agree,
If it is not an emergency, just go to the tire shop and get the tire properly repaired rather than use the fix-a-flat.

If it's a puncture, there's rules about repair for that, it has to be in the rolling part of the tire (usually 1 tread in) and relatively small. They may refuse to repair.

If it's a very slow leak, then It will be tougher to identify the leak, they maybe able to help you with the tire off the wheel and using water to find the bubbles.
If it is leaking from a bad seal and not a puncture, then perhaps they can just clean the wheel and remount or perhaps a new valve stem will fix that.

Since you've already used the fix-a-flat, I'd argue that you should take it in for proper repair. If you're still using that tire, it's throwing off the weighting of the tire, and you are eating costs both in the tire as well as fuel economy by using it with goo in it.

Call first to ask about pricing, and hope you can go on a non-busy day. The others are right though, that even if it can be safely cleaned up, the tire shops set their pricing however they want so shop around or refuse to work on it as they want.

This is a free-market nation, if it's the only tire shop in town, you may have to pay whatever they are charging (and they are free to charge whatever they want).

Last edited by raytseng; 08-29-2012 at 01:46 PM.