Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

My tpms woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:02 PM
My tpms woes

I recently posted about how I hit a pothole, blew out a tire, replaced it at pepboys, where they broke the tpms sensor. I just got back from honda, where they cleared the code and reset the light, as well as got paperwork started to reimburse me for the tire. But the thing is, they didn't replace the tpms sensor. So I still have one tire without it. I didn't want to tell honda that pepboys broke it, because I didn't want to get slapped with any unnecessary charges because I was unprepared. I'm planning on calling pepboys today or tomorrow, and explaining the situation, and then maybe take it back to honda to get it fixed on pepboys's dime.

In my other post, someone had suggested driving on pepboys tire for a while, then putting a nail in it and taking it back to honda to get it fixed there. I'm actually almost considering that.

Basically, I want my pressure sensor replaced, and I don't want to pay the $40,000 it will cost to do so, because it totally wasn't my fault, but I'm afraid that because I didn't get any sort of written admission of guilt from pep boys when it happened, that they may end up denying any responsibility and I'll get hosed.

suggestions?

Old 05-07-2008, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
I would call your dealer and ask, as a random customer, how much a replacement TPMS sensor for one wheel is. Parts should be able to order just one of them and I do not believe they are terribly expensive. The problem I see you're in is up to the level of customer service at Pep Boys. If you know that pepboys broke it then take it back and ask to talk to the manager or the person in charge from the start. If he wants you to talk to someone else, ask if you could all talk about it together. Hopefully they will realize that it was their mistake and contact honda to do a replacement and programming. I can see how the nail would help, but that would prolly just have you back at Pep Boys to have the nail removed and filled. If pep boys won't do anything then you might be lost. Shouldn't this all be relevant to the city anyways since it was the result of a pot hole? My city pays for damages like that, if nothing else, blame it on the initial pot hole damage and see if you can get reimbursed for that as well