2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will I be able to get everything in my Fit?
It will be tight, but you will make it!
75.00%
Uh, you should probably post the futon (and a bunch more of your crap) on craigslist now...
25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Full Fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Full Fit

I will be pushing my Fit to the limit on Wednesday. At some point next year, I will have to drive halfway across the country hauling all of my personal belongings. I am not sure if I can get everything in my Fit, so I am a bit nervous about the move. I will actually be moving about ¾ of a mile on Wednesday, so I am going to try to cram all of my stuff in there as a test to see if it can be done, even though it is not absolutely necessary. I have included a list of all the stuff that I need the Fit to carry, generally in order of largest-smallest. I also plan to post some photographic evidence of this undertaking. If this fails, I will ditch the futon for next year’s move, but I think I can make it happen...

Futon - Will be disassembled, but still big. Includes a full size mattress.
4” Memory Foam Mattress Pad - Queen size. Goes on the futon to make it bearable.
46” HDTV - Obviously going to be a PITA
TV Stand - Can be disassembled, but contains 3 glass shelves.
Desktop PC - In its box, but it is huge.
Guitar - Has a bag so it should be adequately protected.
A closet’s worth of clothes.
Miscellaneous Stuff: PS3 - In its box, Alarm Clock, 3 1:18 model cars, football, frisbee, bathroom stuff, towels, 2 pillows, comforter, a spare blanket, spare sheets, a small rug thing, extra backpack, work backpack+laptop, extra laptop (broken) in a laptop bag, inflatable queen mattress, my original Fit floormats, two cases of poker chips, my kitchen supplies, all the boxes of the components I used to build my desktop, a baseball bat, large ice scraper, umbrella, window ice protector, 30lb dumbbell, lunchbox, a few books, and a bunch of other crap I have forgotten about.

It is going to be close!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I will be trying to keep a clearish view out of the passenger window for safety reasons. The rear window will be blocked for sure.

Last edited by Under_Score; 10-22-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Reserved for Pictures

Old 10-22-2012, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm.... depends mostly on that futon, but seems doable to me! I have used the Fit in 3 moves and countless IKEA trips Take your time and I'm sure you can make it work. At worst, a U haul van is like $20 for a day lol

Old 10-22-2012, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
Hmm.... depends mostly on that futon, but seems doable to me! I have used the Fit in 3 moves and countless IKEA trips Take your time and I'm sure you can make it work. At worst, a U haul van is like $20 for a day lol
I won't need a U haul for this move, I can make multiple trips if I can't make it in one.

For the big move, I'd be driving 1200 miles, and then I'd have to come back for the Fit. The last time I rented a Uhaul, I drove it about 200 miles. The charge (in one day) was $190 plus gas.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
GL with the move. you travel light!

when i was single and moved, i had a full car load + 150 cartons + furniture the movers hauled for me separately cross country.

now it will take a full trailer.. so i dont feel like moving any more. hahaha.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
GL with the move. you travel light!

when i was single and moved, i had a full car load + 150 cartons + furniture the movers hauled for me separately cross country.

now it will take a full trailer.. so i dont feel like moving any more. hahaha.
Thanks!

I should come clean and say that I actually moved out here in the same style last June (2011). Loaded up my car at the time, a Buick Regal, and went for it. That is why I don't have any solid furniture. I have since added the futon and few other items. I can say 100% for sure this would now be impossible in the Buick. The car was about to burst, no way I could have gotten an entire futon in on top of everything. Hoping the Fit comes through though!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Under_Score
I won't need a U haul for this move, I can make multiple trips if I can't make it in one.

For the big move, I'd be driving 1200 miles, and then I'd have to come back for the Fit. The last time I rented a Uhaul, I drove it about 200 miles. The charge (in one day) was $190 plus gas.
Here's a thread you might want to stash in your tool box: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...ailer-fit.html

My answer to your poll: Neither...
Good luck!

Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 PM
This sounds like a good Honda commercial in the making, maybe they'll sponsor?

Old 10-22-2012, 06:57 PM
You'll be fine, just throw the mattress on the roof and tie it down. you might have to make 3 trips for everything. The TV should fit no problem.

For the big move just get a trailer for the Fit like in the thread that Subie posted: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...ailer-fit.html

When I did my "big move" I went about 400 miles in a fully loaded (like 3/4 way to the roof) 20' Uhaul and I towed the Fit on a carrier, only two wheels up. Ended up costing me about $500 for the rental (truck+trailer) and $220 in gas. 60mph winds kept me going about 50mph the whole way and killed my gas mileage

If I could have done it in the Fit towing a trailer I would have much rather, but I have too much stuff for that these days, you're lucky to travel light.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
U WIll be Aye OK JUst Watch for them winds cuz dam do they slow us down like a mofo

Old 10-25-2012, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
Ok, finally have some energy for a post. I did it! With that said, I cannot afford to buy anything else I might have to take back with me. When I say the car was full, I mean completely and impossibly full. I had a plan for all the larger stuff, and assumed all the small things would fit in all the various spaces remaining. I used every space in that vehicle. In the end, it came down to the clothes in my closet, which you would think are soft, pliable, and would fit anywhere. I had so little room, they were a serious pain to fit, and I thought I might not be able to get them in. I had to put my work clothes (4 slacks an 4 shirts) on the dash, it was the only place for them. There were socks pressed against the back windshield, towels against the side windows, and one of my models cars tucked into the upper gloves box. I actually deflated my football and put it in the space behind the lower glove box. It. Was. Tight.

I didn't realize the camera had been "borrowed" a month or so ago, so sadly I can't post any pictures. I'll see if I can secure one when I do the real move next year.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
You could have wrapped some steak and zuccini in some tine foil and slipped it on your engine block for a nice carbecue on the way

Old 10-25-2012, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Now that I think about it, the futon is in good shape, so I should probably just donate it to the salvation army when I move. That way I could avoid the hassle of trying to sell it etc...