2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Disable TPMS?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by krunk13
without TPMS VSA is on constantly so if it snows or you want to have some fun without the traction control coming on you will be sol without tpms.
Actually, in a pinch, you can dissconect the ABS pump connector (turn the car off first). This disables the VSA system, ABS (obviously) and (this is important) the brake balancing system. DO NOT DRIVE LIKE THIS, RECCONECT THE PUMP (with the car off) AS SOON AS YOU ARE UNSTUCK. The balancing system reduces preasure to the rear brakes under heavy brakeing to reduce the chances of the rear tires locking up before the front.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by x_25
Ok, now you have me curious. My tire should be low again tomorrow or friday (slow leak I have yet to track down...) and I will test out what speed the sensors kick on at (or at least lowe than). I will have to do some math as well, since I have them installed on 14" rims (stock on my car, a base, was 15") and most people have 16" rims. That will change the outward linear acceleration felt by the sensors (should be higher at a lower speed on the 14's). Hey! My college physics courses will come in handy for something! I will try to get some time to run the math tomorrow (have a lab class tonight after work) and will report back with number.

Also, what page in the service manual, I want to check it out in my copy.
18-45

Its also possible that the sensors can trigger earlier than spec, with the expectation that they will all definitely trigger by ~28 mph.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Actually, in a pinch, you can dissconect the ABS pump connector (turn the car off first). This disables the VSA system, ABS (obviously) and (this is important) the brake balancing system. DO NOT DRIVE LIKE THIS, RECCONECT THE PUMP (with the car off) AS SOON AS YOU ARE UNSTUCK. The balancing system reduces preasure to the rear brakes under heavy brakeing to reduce the chances of the rear tires locking up before the front.
In a pinch you should probably just call someone to get you vs doing that.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
The TPMS sensors transmit approximately every minute when they are spinning over 28MPH but they can also transmit during a rapid pressure change or when they read a pressure or temperature that is out of range. The cars ecu also makes decisions on when to display the trouble indicators. For example after the ecu recieves three bad readings or even a certain time limit. So it is hard to predict their function because it is a complex system.

Another important little know fact for people that have VSA is that X_25 discovered a way to disable VSA without having tpms sensors connected!
Simply unplug the VSA switch! Yes pull the panel and disconnect the connector from the back of the switch. It will take a few minutes of driving but the VSA system will go into an error mode and turn off. You also will have a fault indicator on the cluster , but it is the only way to disable VSA without having an intact TPMS system. I have tested it myself on my '11 sport.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jibberjabbs
The TPMS sensors transmit approximately every minute when they are spinning over 28MPH but they can also transmit during a rapid pressure change or when they read a pressure or temperature that is out of range. The cars ecu also makes decisions on when to display the trouble indicators. For example after the ecu recieves three bad readings or even a certain time limit. So it is hard to predict their function because it is a complex system.

Another important little know fact for people that have VSA is that X_25 discovered a way to disable VSA without having tpms sensors connected!
Simply unplug the VSA switch! Yes pull the panel and disconnect the connector from the back of the switch. It will take a few minutes of driving but the VSA system will go into an error mode and turn off. You also will have a fault indicator on the cluster , but it is the only way to disable VSA without having an intact TPMS system. I have tested it myself on my '11 sport.
I don't remeber where I posted that, but I need to do an update. After 3 driving cycles the VSA system reenabled itself on my car. I havn't done any further testing as I had my tpms switched into my winter tires and, being able to turn the system off at will, never got around to doing further testing. Summers are going back on this weekend though (with no tpms) so I will likely go back testing if I can find the time (september through june I am busy, working full time and attending classes in the evening!). Doing some thinking though, unplugging one ABS sensor might be able to disable the VSA and ABS but leave the brake balance system working still (I am planning on doing some track days this summer, so I want to find a way to disable the ABS if needed, as well as the VSA, I really need to sit down with the manual and give it a good once over to see how the systems interact. Determined Engineering students are dangerous BTW :P )

Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
I don't remeber where I posted that, but I need to do an update. After 3 driving cycles the VSA system reenabled itself on my car. I havn't done any further testing as I had my tpms switched into my winter tires and, being able to turn the system off at will, never got around to doing further testing. Summers are going back on this weekend though (with no tpms) so I will likely go back testing if I can find the time (september through june I am busy, working full time and attending classes in the evening!). Doing some thinking though, unplugging one ABS sensor might be able to disable the VSA and ABS but leave the brake balance system working still (I am planning on doing some track days this summer, so I want to find a way to disable the ABS if needed, as well as the VSA, I really need to sit down with the manual and give it a good once over to see how the systems interact. Determined Engineering students are dangerous BTW :P )
Yea I PMed you about it. And it kept working for me most of last summer. Also I think someone on here discovered there is a connector under the rear seat for the ABS that you could disconnect to disable ABS.

There is also another way I have found to fool the VSA but you need a HDS.
If you relearn the TPMS to the ecu then take the sensors away from the car before you drive it. The ecu will be stuck in a mode looking for the sensors and will allow you to overide VSA. BTW, HDS clones are about $150