2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A journey towards camping in my '13 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 11:08 AM
A journey towards camping in my '13 Fit

Well, I got my brand new '13 PMM Fit about a month ago and must say I am totally pleased with it, from the price to the look to the way it drives to the huge amount of cargo space available.

I spend a lot of the time on the road as a musician, and as well as hauling around instruments and a PA system, I am looking forward to using my Fit as sleeping quarters. I've been sizing up the interior and thinking about the best trade off between comfort and packability for a mattress.

In a pinch, I can put down the back seats, move the front seats all the way forward, tilt them all the way towards the front of the car, and put a thermarest in the back. However, I'm going to be teaching at a bunch of weeklong music camps this summer, and want something a little more cushy for a weeklong adventure when space isn't at as much of a premium (no PA hauling and instruments can stay indoors.

I found a single wide futon chair mattress that my parents dont use, and think that will work well and fill up the whole back perfectly, and then its just a question of filling the back seat foot wells with something so my head isn't over an open chasm. I'll post pictures of this setup soon.

My current puzzle to solve is to get ventilation through the car while i sleep at night. Cracking the windows is good unless it rains, and I don't like the look of the window rain shields. I think if I crack the windows and close a properly sized bit of tarp in the door that will keep the rain out at night.

There are also bugs to take into account (Maine in the summer), and I currently am looking into a screen and magnets setup like this:

Magnetic bug screens | Magnetic mosquito screens for your car, truck, SUV or RV

except make my own, like this blogger:

Heading West: Car Window Screens...

Also, these floowing links have been helpful in the process:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...v-camping.html

Honda Fit - a set on Flickr

That last link is great, but they have a special super thick mattress so they can put the front seat backwards and be leve with them. That would be nice, but I'm not about to shell out the cash for a custom mattress.

In any case, I wanted to start a thread to keep updated with my progress and gather ideas from the community. Lurking the forums was a huge help in my decision to get a Fit! Thank you everybody!

Got ideas or things you have tried? Seen other resources out there that look cool? I'd love to see them.

Thanks,
Baron

Old 05-24-2013, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
inflatable camping (or home) mattress and an electric 12v blower to quickly inflate/deflate. Or a self inflating camping pad (unroll it and it fills with a thin cushion of air). A futon seems like it would take too much space when not in use.

Consider getting a light switch for the trunk area and leaving the hatch ajar or open. Mosquito netting and duct tape galore.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
Couple of dome tents last has a mattress option.

CampingExpress.net - Sportz Dome to go tent Honda Fit

http://www.autoanything.com/truck-te...A2945A0A0.aspx

Review not me.

Reviewed by Janie T (Columbia, SC) Reviewed for a 2007 Honda Fit — Jun 13, 2007 6:38 AM
My "Dome to Go Tent" had it's first tryout this past weekend on the back of a Honda FIT. It went up in about 20 minutes the first time. I think the next time will be even easier now that I've tweaked the process. The large windows and screen door came in handy in the 95 degree Georgia heat. A couple of fans and my dog and I were quite comfortable. I didn't sleep in the back of the car as planned because the dog couldn't find enough room to lay down (he's used to a queen size bed). We slept in the tent instead. The only suggestion I would have would be to add a power port hookup like I've seen on some tents and maybe a flap to install a small air conditioner (Southerners would appreciate this especially!)

Last edited by cjecpa; 05-24-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Here's the futon in the back, turned out a lot more hot pink than its actual color (red). Fits great and is a lot more comfortable than just a therma-rest blow up sleeping pad. Definitely gets rid of the bump from the connection of the back seats and the trunk. Also the added high (maybe 3 or 4 inches) give the sleeping area a little more length.

The mattress is about 42" x 72" and fold in three nicely to fit in the trunk with the seats up. Still room for other stuff with it in the trunk, though, @Steve244, a blow up mattress would definitely be smaller.

@cjecpa, that's a great looking car/tent combo. If I didn't already have a regular tent and had $250, I would give it a try!

I also want to get a roll of Reflectix and make some window sun-block panels, and rig up some sort of overhead canopy that I can store a few things in.

Thanks for the thoughts,
Baron

Old 05-24-2013, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Know anyone in Michigan? Napier Sportz car tent

Old 05-24-2013, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
that looks nice. Maybe a comforter and some contrasting throw pillows...

Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 AM
two aprox. 1' by 3' rectangles of tarp, folder around the doors makes two fine rainguards. I'm contemplating sewing them into shape so I can just drop them over the doors and close them rather than hold them folded while closing.

Now all i need is to make a netting system to keep out the skeeters

Thanks,
Baron

Old 05-27-2013, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
If you have the cash go with the SPORTZ tent by Napier. I had one when they first came out and used it camping with another hatchback car I owned. The "sock tube" that wraps around the car has elastic and body straps that keep the sock tight to body. The rest of the tent had great ventilation,and an awning if it rained. You could drive away and leave the sock attached and zip up the sock end window to keep bugs out during the time the car is detached and the tent is free standing. Only problem I had with the tent was some seams dripped during very heavy rains. Tent seam sealer fixed that problem. With tent you have the option of sleeping in your Fit or in the tent. Mine was 10' X 10' X 8' tall and nice and roomy. Slept a teenager nephew in the car and the wife & I slept on cots in the tent. Rolls up and stores in a bag the size of average duffle bag. Way nicer during a rainy weekend in a tent then cooped up in a tiny car. Also big enough to sit around 3-4 people in if rainy. Nephew now has the tent and uses it on a Dodge Caliper RT,so they will fit many models of cars.