2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Multiple A/C Compressors within 1 year?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Multiple A/C Compressors within 1 year?

My 2010 had a compressor replaced at 66k mi June 2012, here in June 2013, the AC wasn't working as well as I remembered. At 76k mi, they requred another compressor, clutch/clutch coil. They said everything is now within specs, but I am wondering if they are missing checking a certain factor such as deflection of the mounting tabs (Sanden compressors need this checked). Any ideas here?

$1450 /ea repair! Fortunately, I got that 0$ deductible warranty when I bought the car.

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
There is a good chance that they did not flush out the AC system after the first compressor failure. It is extremely important to at least flush out the condenser and replace the orifice and dryer whenever a compressor is replaced. I flush everything, condenser, evaporator, and all lines whenever I have to replace a compressor for anything other than a seal leak.

Most of the foreign junk will get trapped in the screen of the orifice. If they see trash when the orifice is removed then a thorough cleaning / flushing of every component is prudent. If it is not flushed correctly, usually metallic trash from the previous compressor failure gets sucked into the new compressor and the new one will self destruct fairly rapidly.

If it were me I would get a different mechanic to work on it this time. I would also demand that all AC components be flushed prior to installing the new compressor. I would also ask to see the old orifice and examine it for contaminants. It will be obvious when you look at it. Also ask them to see the stuff they flushed out. It should be small, shiny, usually aluminum, particles and shavings.

It is great that it is still covered by warranty but sooner or later if they continue to do it wrong you are going to get stuck with the bill.

I have to admit to never working on a Honda Fit AC system other than adding some refrigerant. Most AC systems have an Orifice, if not, then they have an expansion valve that does a similar function.

Last edited by n9cv; 07-09-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:11 AM
The above poster pretty much nailed it. Who's working on your car? Most parts would have a 1 year 12k mile warranty anyway, so if you were under that time and mileage, the vendor that sold the part would also have to take a bite of that repair.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DavefromCA
The above poster pretty much nailed it. Who's working on your car? Most parts would have a 1 year 12k mile warranty anyway, so if you were under that time and mileage, the vendor that sold the part would also have to take a bite of that repair.
I stopped short of stating this was sloppy work because I have not actually seen the problem in person. Part manufacturer warranties on compressors usually only include replacement of the defective part and not the additional costs of labor, refrigerant, dryer, and orifice.

Most replacement compressors I have bought state that the orifice, and drier must be replaced and the system must be flushed. They also state that the warranty claims on returned compressors on systems that have not been flushed will not be honored.

Here is an example from RockAuto of a warranty statement:

In order to ensure that proper warranty credit is issued if needed, the compressor installation instructions must be adhered to. All compressor defects must show proof of purchase of an Orifice Tube/Expansion Valve, Drier, and Approved A/C System Flush, or a Work Order showing the purchase of these items and that the system was flushed using approved procedures.

For this reason I usually buy the compressor, dryer, and orifice on the same invoice. I also buy a gallon of AC flush locally and keep the dated receipt. I have never had to try to get a warranty claim on one for a catastrophic failure so I'm not sure how much of a hassle a compressor warranty claim is.

I'm assuming this installation was done at a Honda dealer. If so, then the Honda internal warranty procedures may be different from the above.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
My spidey sense tells me that the Fit's A/C is not as robust as other manufacturers' or even Honda's other cars. Or are other cars experiencing failures at this rate? It seems unlikely; the components are pretty much all the same quality and made by the same companies, but the rain of A/C complaints here is pretty heavy...

My own experience is not having any A/C related issues other than refrigerant level and that after 8+ years and now having a 4 year-old Fit with A/C issues. And it seems under sized for the job.

Maybe I spend too much time reading others' A/C woes...

Old 07-09-2013, 11:27 AM
you can lemon law it?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
CA's lemon law is pretty typical. He's way beyond the miles/time limit and only halfway there for occurrences.
(2) During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if... the same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) The vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle.
Personally I'm at 4 years and 55K. kvetching about a single A/C repair in that whole time is all I got. Maybe because the car is so reliable in other aspects the A/C gets a lot of attention.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by n9cv
For this reason I usually buy the compressor, dryer, and orifice on the same invoice. I also buy a gallon of AC flush locally and keep the dated receipt. I have never had to try to get a warranty claim on one for a catastrophic failure so I'm not sure how much of a hassle a compressor warranty claim is.
I'm like you, if I'm going to make a pricey repair I'll make sure that it lasts. When I did the radiator on my old car I also changed the hoses and t stat.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Papo
you can lemon law it?
In CA, the car has to be under the original warranty, IIRC, it has to be down for 2 weeks total time in one year for that to come into effect.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the comments, especially about the flush. Honda dealer 1 did it first time, took it to honda dealer number 2 this time. I'll report back next year!

I bet you are right. I'll ask the service writer to ask the technician this time what happened. My wife coordinated the repair last time.