2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Is the iPod link worth buying and installing?

Old 11-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Is the iPod link worth buying and installing?

I have a new 2010 Fit (new to me). It has the factory radio with in dash CD Changer. As far as I can tell, there is an option to add an iPod connector to the radio. Currently I am using the AUX input and am unhappy with the cables hanging around my console.

So, the question (s):
Is it worth buying the iPod connector?
Does it support iPhone 4s without difficulty?
Are there other/better options? (my wife is discouraging me from replacing the head unit which would be my normal option here....)

Thanks for helping out.

Chris

Old 11-06-2013, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
There isn't a specific Ipod link, but there is a USB port that supports Ipods (as well as simple flash memory). If you bought a 2010 Sport this is standard. There's a factory module that can be installed, but it's almost as expensive as a new head.

Here's a link to the device. I put one in because I like the ergonomics of the factory head and didn't want to upgrade to bluetooth or anything else. Here's a thread I did on it. Upon installation of the module the head performs exactly as if it had this from the factory as on the Sport.

From the 09 owner's manual the following iDevices are supported (dunno about yours but I assume it is).

Model Firmware
iPod 5G Ver. 1.2 or more
iPod classic Ver. 1.0 or more
iPod nano Ver. 1.2 or more
iPod nano 2nd
generation
Ver. 1.1.2 or more
iPod nano 3rd
generation
Ver. 1.0 or more
iPod touch Ver. 1.1.1 or more
iPhone Ver. 1.1.1 or more

Old 11-06-2013, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Why not buy an aux cable?

I use one all the time in my GD3

Old 11-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Steve244: Thank you very much. That is exactly what I am looking for. Have you tried a USB Extension with that adapter? It appears that with just an extra foot on the USB side I could run the cable through the center console and put a cradle just behind the e-brake lever.

GinoLicious: As I stated in my question; I am currently using the AUX input on the front of the radio and I dislike the AUX cables hanging around.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't tried an extension, but I know of no reason why it wouldn't work.

Something like this might make a clean installation.

Alternatively, just route the cable from the USB module to the console instead of the glove box. The glove box isn't very handy. It doesn't bother me as I just leave the memory fob connected in the car, only taking it out to add stuff periodically.

Last edited by Steve244; 11-08-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Just put it in your glove box when not using it?

Personally I would hate having an iPod cable plugged into my radio constantly. That would drive me nuts having that cable hanging around and not able to unplug it. But that's my opinion and my two cents on that topic.

Buddy of mine had one on his CL. Drove me nuts looking at it. But meh. That's just me.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GinoLicious
Just put it in your glove box when not using it?

Personally I would hate having an iPod cable plugged into my radio constantly. That would drive me nuts having that cable hanging around and not able to unplug it. But that's my opinion and my two cents on that topic.

Buddy of mine had one on his CL. Drove me nuts looking at it. But meh. That's just me.
The iPod Cable is in the Glove Box on the GE so you don't see anything (hence the reason for not using the Aux input on the front of the HU)

OP, Navigating the iPod is a Nightmare on the factory heard unit if you have more than 30-40 artists. Money would be much more well spent on a new head unit as it costs only a little bit more but you get 100x more capability with an aftermarket Head Unit. Bluetooth (both audio and phone), Easier iPod navigation, and most importantly, Much better sound.

I have a double-Din JVC head unit with an ipod in the upper glove box and two Phones (work and home) connected to the Head Unit via Bluetooth (for audio/pandora and phone). Another benefit is that when I step out of my car, my phone enables WiFi automatically (As it sees a loss of bluetooth connectivity - Assumes I am home or at work)

~SB

Old 06-04-2014, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
USB Link

I couldn't choose an upgrade for the radio, so I had installed a second hand link which was USD60 compared to USD300+ for a new radio unit. I have a very old Ipod, and that was like 3 years ago, and it worked nicely. Just added some nice speakers/twitters.
It was my first upgrade and has been the best, cos the unit let you see the info at the screen and can choose songs using the central big button of the unit.
If I am not wrong he USB link was from a CR-V.
I dont like to see cables anywhere hanging so the USB goes right to the center console.
I am happy with it, after 3 years there is no radio unit the is changing my mind....
The best thing to do is to make some playlists, that you can choose easily using the radio unit and that wont make you feel frustrated.