2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Upgraded the (weak) axis taillight turn signals

Old 11-15-2013, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Upgraded the (weak) axis taillight turn signals

So most of you with axis taillights might have noticed that the turn signal is kinda weak at any time other than night... Especially when the brake light is on and at off angles.

I came up with a simple solution to improve the light output from the signal without needing to modify the taillight itself.

Here is a quick video demoing all the functions of the upgraded taillight (left) vs the regular axis taillight with the oem reverse bulb installed.

You can clearly tell how much more noticeable that signal light is, and if you look at the reflection on the ground, you can also tell that the off angle output is also vastly superior.

What I did was replace the reverse bulb with a vleds v3 triton led switchback bulb. Normally these plug right into the bulb socket, but I wanted the original amber led signals to keep working. I ended up tapping the wires from the control box of the switchback into the + and - of the axis signal LEDs for the amber portion. And then directly into the reverse light + for the white portion.

The control box automatically shuts the white light off when the amber flashes. So if I'm signaling while reversing, only the opposing side will turn white.

Will add bright sunlight pics later

Pics of lights

Name:  image_zpsf14cfe6e.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  84.2 KB

Name:  image_zpsabbe249d.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  115.7 KB

Last edited by connor55; 11-22-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Youtube says you removed the video

Old 11-15-2013, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
I added an explanation of what I did.

I'll add in off angle pics/vids when it gets really bright out.

But it's waay more noticeable when I'm signaling now, no more worrying about being seen when I signal.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
Youtube says you removed the video
Should work now, i just upped the resolution so you could see it better

Old 11-16-2013, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
That means

I need to get Axis tail lights first eh?

Old 11-16-2013, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Well this is more for those who already have the axis turn signals.

I bet you can get them cheap though.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Kinda noob here, but if i wanted to get those V3's for my GD, which ones would I get? I want to change my signals, front and back, and possibly my reverse light.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
It's pretty easy. On the top of the page, click v3 tritons. A list will come up and then you can select what kind of bulb you want. Click on your bulb and then go down near the bottom of the next page where it says "fitment guide". They'll have a link to a website that shows bulbs sizes for every car.

I selected the page for "6k switchbacks" but it's the same for different colours.

6K WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK V3 TRITON LED SYSTEM | 1 PAIR

Click back on the top at v3 tritons to go back to the list.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:13 AM
5 Year Member
since my car takes 7443 bulbs, i would have to get the base adapter...would i need anything else?

also - your switchbacks change color from amber to white. is there any benefit to it? I was thinking of using the v3s for my indicator bulbs

Old 11-25-2013, 12:25 PM
^still not sure about that. i'm just going pull the trigger on these, i have the JDM rear lights and don't like how short the wiring is back there.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ZiaMan
since my car takes 7443 bulbs, i would have to get the base adapter...would i need anything else?

also - your switchbacks change color from amber to white. is there any benefit to it? I was thinking of using the v3s for my indicator bulbs
Okay, something that I found pleasantly surprising about these bulbs is that the base socket is actually customizable, so I only have to worry about how it connects into the harness.

So for example, the axis taillights have a "reverse bulb" socket for the jdm reverse bulb size(7440). But the usdm is a different size than that. I originally thought I would have to buy the jdm sized socket to fit these into the housing, but I didn't.

When you make the selection for the base adapter on their website, you're really only making the choice of which type of bulb shape you're choosing(as in what slides into your original socket.

Then they'll send you the regular kit with a connector that's shaped like the bottom of the bulb you specified, so it plugs right into the socket.

As for mounting it into the actual housing, they have small screw holes around the circumference of the bulb. You'd then use the included 4 or 3mm screws to mimic the key pattern of the original socket. It's the screws them selves that act as the little teeth of the socket. Instructions on how to do this are included in the box. Hope that makes sense.

So if you have a usdm fit with jdm taillights, you only need to know what the usdm socket size was. Then you can customize the new bulb itself with the small screws to fit into the jdm housing.

Most people use switchbacks in the front to double their turn signal as a DRL.
I used it in the rear because there's only one available housing in the axis taillights and I needed both reverse and turn signal functions. So I just re wired it to run that way.

Last edited by connor55; 11-25-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Thanks for that! I'm gonna pick up a pair of the 6k for my front and back indicators. You think i should replace my reverse light as well? I have usdm tailights. They are blacked out, except for the middle clear section (which includes reverse light and indicator light). And all my windows are tinted...its hard to reverse at night sometimes

Originally Posted by connor55
Okay, something that I found pleasantly surprising about these bulbs is that the base socket is actually customizable, so I only have to worry about how it connects into the harness.

So for example, the axis taillights have a "reverse bulb" socket for the jdm reverse bulb size(7440). But the usdm is a different size than that. I originally thought I would have to buy the jdm sized socket to fit these into the housing, but I didn't.

When you make the selection for the base adapter on their website, you're really only making the choice of which type of bulb shape you're choosing(as in what slides into your original socket.

Then they'll send you the regular kit with a connector that's shaped like the bottom of the bulb you specified, so it plugs right into the socket.

As for mounting it into the actual housing, they have small screw holes around the circumference of the bulb. You'd then use the included 4 or 3mm screws to mimic the key pattern of the original socket. It's the screws them selves that act as the little teeth of the socket. Instructions on how to do this are included in the box. Hope that makes sense.

So if you have a usdm fit with jdm taillights, you only need to know what the usdm socket size was. Then you can customize the new bulb itself with the small screws to fit into the jdm housing.

Most people use switchbacks in the front to double their turn signal as a DRL.
I used it in the rear because there's only one available housing in the axis taillights and I needed both reverse and turn signal functions. So I just re wired it to run that way.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ZiaMan
Thanks for that! I'm gonna pick up a pair of the 6k for my front and back indicators. You think i should replace my reverse light as well? I have usdm tailights. They are blacked out, except for the middle clear section (which includes reverse light and indicator light). And all my windows are tinted...its hard to reverse at night sometimes
No problem. But I don't think in your case you would need switchbacks for your reverse indicators. The usdm taillight has a seperate housing for the reverse bulbs, so just get amber for the front and back indicators (unless you want switchbacks in the front), and the 6k (non switchback) for the reverse indicator/brake lights.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by connor55
No problem. But I don't think in your case you would need switchbacks for your reverse indicators. The usdm taillight has a seperate housing for the reverse bulbs, so just get amber for the front and back indicators (unless you want switchbacks in the front), and the 6k (non switchback) for the reverse indicator/brake lights.

So if i got the switchbacks for my front indicators, will they turn into DRL? I dont currently have drl. I was thinking of going 6k for my front, back, and reverse lights. is that too much white? I noticed they also have red lights now too. How would that be for my front indicators?

Last edited by ZiaMan; 12-02-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
They will if you wire them up that way. I'm not sure what the DRLs connect to to be honest, since I'm not using them that way. You could email them to find out how this works.

I wouldn't use red in the front. In fact, for the brake lights you should use white because the taillight lens will make them red anyway and the whites are brighter.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator
/resurrection

Connor,

I just got V3 tritons for my front signals and they are damn amazing. Looking now at getting a pair for the reverse lights like you did in your video. Just wondering what socket did u end up getting for axis tails? did u just get the hardwire pigtail? thanks!