2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike in a Fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by klaw091
Here is my setup.

I saw many people go the 2x4 option but I wanted to do something a little more clean. I got a MDF from homedepot, I got a 3x5 (I believe) 3/8" thick, it fit perfectly between the raised edges in the trunk. I stapled a outdoor carpet, also from home depot, to the MDF and then attached the fork mounts.

It sits in there flush under the cargo tray. I can leave the mounts in the car and be always ready to stow and go two bikes. My bikes are both 56cm. I also stagger the mounts to accommodate wider cockpit set-ups.
Any more details or detailed pictures? Did you leave in the 'floor' or replace it with the MDF?

Last edited by erda; 02-05-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by erda
Any more details or detailed pictures? Did you leave in the 'floor' or replace it with the MDF?
I had the MDF cut to fit between the raised edges in the cargo area. I forgot the thickness I got. I think it was 3/8in. However, it was a perfect fit. The thickness of the MDF matched the height of the raised edges so the carpet lays flat.

I leave the MDF in the trunk under the cargo tray to give the trunk a little more stiffness considering how flimsy the board is that covers the spare.

I stapled gun the carpet to the MDF. Whenever I need to carry a bike, I can simply slide the cargo tray up and screw on the fork mounts and I am good to go. All I need to do is find some wingnuts so it will be a completely tool-less operation.

let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 02-07-2014, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member

This is one type of the rear mount type they are talking about. First put on a hitch, $120 or so then add a rack. This one can carry 6 bikes and can be altered for skis or snowboard or even a luggage rack. It swings out of the way to access your hatch without removing the bikes. This is one of my old bikes. Racks on top for kayaks. Take all the toys.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:04 AM
clo
nice rack serious. which one is that. like the conversion to carry snow boards

Old 02-08-2014, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
FYI on the hitch mount racks, the maximum number of bikes recommended is 2.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Thumbs up Put it in the front!

Originally Posted by kawigirl
So I became a new Fit owner last night! We have a Civic already...guess we are starting a quiver of Hondas.
Anyway, does anyone have a pic of how my mountain bike can be put in the back? Remove front tyre and drop the seat post or...I'm thinking I could even stand it up.
I posted this some time ago.. take a look and here is a pix:

Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
Not to hog the thread but the rack is a Softride and was made in Bellingham WA. Not too sure if they still make them. I only have carried 3 bikes at once and thought that was enough especially with the new frame designs and sloping top tube. What I like is it's a simple bolt on/off through the receiver hitch. The cool ones are the new deck style where the wheels actually rest in trays and you tie down the tires and the theres a supporting arm that tolds things down on the frame. Another popular one is North Shore Racks named after an area in Vancouver BC that is a hotbed of great riding, anyhow those racks support the bikes with the front wheel up above the hatch window and can carry 6 bikes side by side. Never seen one on a Fit though. I like the bikes outside as we usually get a little (lot) dirty.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by klaw091
There are plenty of reasons not to install a roof rack. Some being worried about mileage, asthetics, garages, theft, short driver , and etc.

Here is my setup.

I saw many people go the 2x4 option but I wanted to do something a little more clean. I got a MDF from homedepot, I got a 3x5 (I believe) 3/8" thick, it fit perfectly between the raised edges in the trunk. I stapled a outdoor carpet, also from home depot, to the MDF and then attached the fork mounts.

It sits in there flush under the cargo tray. I can leave the mounts in the car and be always ready to stow and go two bikes. My bikes are both 56cm. I also stagger the mounts to accommodate wider cockpit set-ups.
THANK YOU for this idea! I was able to replicate it so that I can transport my road bike and mountain bike at the same time. I bolted the left fork mount on at an angle that keeps the wide mountain bike handlebars from getting tangled up with the drop bars of the road bike. I used a 1/2" piece of plywood and spray-painted it matte black to match the interior of the car.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:52 PM
I was just going to follow up on this post... So my 54cm road bike fits in the back seat with them in the up position. Absolutely love it for a quick load. I have replaced the entire trunk floor with carpet covered mdf and will be soon figuring out how I need to offset the mounts to fit my different bikes.

They just need a hybrid version and the passenger seat to fold forward flat and I would love it even more.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:03 AM
TKE
A little late on the topic but this is what i did with 3 bikes. Still have room for 3 passengers.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Hidden hitch

Same situation, for me, installed a Hidden Hitch, easy DYI(there are other brands).
Bought a cheap 2 bike carrier from harbor freight. Bikes EASY on/off, no lifting overhead. leaves cargo room inside for other stuff. Even folds down (no bikes) to open the hatch.
Total (hitch and carrier) cost about $225.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:43 PM
I ended up shoving my entire bike in since I don't have a quick release front. In the process I ended up scratching the bumper pretty badly so be careful.