2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2009 base model - Rear hatch won't open. Key won't turn in lock.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 04:08 PM
2009 base model - Rear hatch won't open. Key won't turn in lock.

The title pretty much says it... my rear hatch won't open, and my key won't turn in the lock. I can't tell if unlocking via the power lock button is doing anything (I'll need to get someone in the back seat to listen.) Has anyone had this happen?
Is there a fuse or a relay I could check?

I've looked for a way to remove the rear panel to access the motor and latch mechanism, but I can't figure out how to do so. PLEASE tell me there's a way to do it without opening the hatch!

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2015, 05:58 PM
There's a little removable panel, maybe about 2 inches square, in the middle at the bottom of the hatch you can pry off. The owner's manual should give directions under something like "opening the hatch in an emergency." Once pried off, there's apparently a lever or something you can move to unlock the mechanism.

I don't think you can actually replace the mechanism without opening the door or destroying some of the interior plastic panels, but I may be wrong.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:02 PM
Awesome, thanks! I took that plate off a while back when the issue first occurred, but I couldn't figure out how to release the latch. I didn't even think to look in the manual! I'll give that a look tonight and see if I can get it open.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:42 AM
Ok, so I managed to get the sucker open thanks to the manual and DrewE.

It still won't unlock via the key or power lock button. The handle doesn't want to move freely either (that's been happening for a while... I would have to push the handle in to unlock the hatch.)

Now at least I can use the tailgate in a pinch, but it's still not ideal. I snapped a picture of the interior fuse panel diagram, and I see there are 5 "door lock" fuses. I haven't contorted myself to check those individual fuses, though. I'll likely do that after lunch.
Does anyone happen to know if any of the fuses are for the tailgate lock specifically? All other locks work via the button on the driver's door.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:00 PM
Since there's five fuses, it stands to reason it might well be one per door.

Given your description, I rather doubt it's a fuse issue. A fuse wouldn't prevent the key from operating the locking mechanism, since that's entirely a mechanical connection. I think something must be bent or corroded or misadjusted or something like that.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Sorry for taking a while to get back. I haven't had much progress with it (and due to a seized alternator, I haven't been in much rush to mess with the hatch!)

The fuses all checked out, so you're right about that... definitely not a fuse problem.

There's definitely something going on with the handle, so I'm going to have to figure out how to get at that. I can't figure out how to remove the panel on the hatch yet (though I haven't looked terribly hard just yet.) Hopefully once I've taken things apart, I can see what the problem is!

Old 12-02-2015, 01:29 PM
if the key doesn't turn in the cylinder, try shooting some wd40 or another type of penetrating fluid. i've had a few cars where door lock cyls would 'freeze' up and all i would do is get penetrating fluid with the straw thingy and juice er up.
try simple first. good luck tho.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:43 PM
The key will move in the lock, but it won't actually unlock. It's really strange.

I'm thinking it might be related to the handle, as that doesn't seem to be working correctly.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:46 PM
I just saw a "related thread" below, where someone gave this advice:

Originally Posted by t16tomcat
This is a very common problem on the Jazz, its usually not a faulty part as such, its caused by the handle being left in a half open position, the handle on the boot lid seizes and is being held slightly open, this prevents the central locking from unlocking it.

Having spent ages fiddling inside the boot and not getting it open i found this post and hey presto it worked first time !!

First you need to open the tailgate, you will need to lock the car with all the doors shut then push the outside tailgate lid handle firmly back (the opposite way to what you would do to open the boot) then unlock the car with the remote button/key ... the boot should now open as normal. To fix this, you will need to spray WD40 on to each side of the handle where it pivots and work it back and forth, it can take a bit of time working it to get it to free up, keep spraying it with oil until its free enough to spring back by its self and operate as normal, once it is spray a bit of grease up there to prevent it happening again. Its caused by the handle not springing back due to corrosion on the pivot.

Worked for me first time.
I'm going to give that a shot and see if it helps anything. It'll be nice if I can fix it without having to take anything apart!

Old 12-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Bad/Andy/gk
if the key doesn't turn in the cylinder, try shooting some wd40 or another type of penetrating fluid. i've had a few cars where door lock cyls would 'freeze' up and all i would do is get penetrating fluid with the straw thingy and juice er up.
try simple first. good luck tho.
Spraying WD40 or oil into a lock cylinder is not a great idea. The residual oil will tend to hold dirt and dust and gum up the works worse than it was previously. For locks, the lubricant to use is graphite, which can be purchased in little tubes that you shake and puff a bit of graphite dust into the lock with. (I think there's also some liquid-based graphite lubricants that have graphite suspended in alcohol or acetone or something similar that evaporates without leaving a residue.)

Old 12-09-2015, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
Have you tried removing the whole plastic pannel and looking to see if anything is disconnected like where wire harness connects or the actual lock mechanism? Just a thought, I've had that happen on cars in the past. Havent taken mine off to see what it looks like

Old 12-10-2015, 03:14 PM
I tried briefly, but I couldn't figure out how the panel comes off.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Ok, so I lubed the handle today. It moves much more easily, and I can see it tugging on the cable... but it doesn't release the latch.