2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Valve chatter??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Valve chatter??? *Update* Connecting rod bearing

I know I haven't introduced myself. I'll have to make another one asap. in short my name is Aaron and I like to lurk lol Now to the problem at hand. I have a sec gen with 110k miles. So I've searches and searched. I've found similar noises but no solutions.
I've inspected the cam lobes and adjusted the valves. I torqued everything to spec on the rocker arm. I bought a belt tensioner that was no good but didn't solve the issue. Sound seems to be coming from the front of the motor where the cam and timing chain is at. I have no codes or misfires. Power and gas mileage was fine up to the point that I started hearing this noise. It makes little to no noise at idle but when under acceleration it sound horrendous. I did run the car hard and it was a quart of oil low when I check which is the first time I've encountered oil consumption from my car. Any help or suggestions would greatly appreciate. If there is another thread with a solution to the problem please point me there and sorry ahead of time. like I said I've searched and searched and came up with nothing tangible. thank you!

Here is a link to a video of the noise:
[URL="/https://youtu.be/Kb6XDa_7jkg"]/https://youtu.be/Kb6XDa_7jkg[/URL

Update: 8-11-16 I'm sorry I probably am doing this all wrong but I wanted to possibly help anyone that is having this issue to have a quick source. So I found the issue. It ended up being a connecting rod bearing. I'll be posting a link to the video and photos here. A video on YouTube of a B18 with connecting rod bearing failure is what lead me to inspect the bearings. My number One bearing was that took the hit. The rest were in perfect to normal wear. I will be replacing all over them for peace of mind and they are only ~$20 ea. Cause was due to lack of oil, obviously lol No low oil light came on but taking a corner with only 2 1/2 qts of oil did the trick. One thread a member explained that the low oil light comes on only when there is low oil pressure and since it had some oil it never triggered the light. There was many here in the forum that helped through their input. Hopefully this helps someone.

Here's a link to the video of the bearing.

Attached Thumbnails Valve chatter??-80-img_20160811_211812_757ba27e42af601952aa32984726c9d3d04b2fde.jpg  

Last edited by Chavo; 08-12-2016 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Update