2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Messed up and terribly scratched underneath front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 04:43 AM
Messed up and terribly scratched underneath front bumper

Hi, I terribly screwed up and accidentally pressed on the gas after being already pretty close to the parking curb in my apartments' lot.
It sounded really bad when I was driving...
This is my first car (2013 Honda Fit Sports Vortex Blue) which is used and I feel terrible screwing up this much. How do you guys deal with scratches in general? I can't believe I could mess up that much and damage the underneath of my car this way.
I know all of the scratches are only visible if you go kneel on the ground and look directly under the car but knowing that its there is killing me especially since I only got this car not too long ago.
Another question then is how much would it be to repair/replace this and when should I consider doing that instead of just ignoring it? Thank you all.

Sorry if the pictures are kinda blurry. I took screenshots after recording a video with my phone with the light on.Here's the link to the Imgur thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
I'm jealous of the color! I've got a 2013 red Fit Sport and while I don't mind it, I wish it were vortex blue, purple, or black.

As for the scratches, I've not done anything like that with my Fit. Did get into a weather related accident with my previous vehicle, but the price differences here would be a lot, I imagine.

Not a mechanic, but I would THINK the scratches could be buffed out and repainted. More expensive route, I assume, would be to buy a new bumper, which would likely have to be painted anyway. Unless you bought a used bumper of the same color to replace it. That's if you worry about color matching.

Look at it this way. At least it's only scratches on the bumper that can serve as a reminder to be a little more cautious. I've got a co-worker who drove over a curb by accident and cracked his oil pan, which cost him a few thousand. Of course with a BMW though.

If it were me, I'd ask a body shop about it. Getting an estimate should be free either way you go on it. Either new part and painted or buff and painted. They may not know the part price, but they'll know an estimate on everything else.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Those scratches look pretty deep. If you want to fix it then get a body shop to give you an estimate. If it was me I would just leave it. It can only be seen if you are on your knees and it’s going to get torn up just from normal driving rocks, sticks. Your going to spend a few hundred dollars to fix something that is sort of a an area that’s meant to take hits. Show car, sure spend the money, daily driver not worth it to me.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:55 AM
I am quite certain a used bumper from an auto-recycling outfit will be cheaper than fixing this.
Of course the trick is to find one that matches the color and is in a better shape than yours.
If you remove/reinstall it yourself, this will cost anywhere between $250-$500 and up to repair and respray.
With the bodyshop doing the install, the price can easily double.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:28 AM
5 Year Member
As the area can't be seen I would just lightly sand it and give a coat of spray paint to match or mask it off and say do a flat black.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
That was one thing I hated about my ‘09 Fit Sport. There was too much front overhang, too close to the ground. Honda even urged caution about this in the owner’s manual.

Where I live there are LOTS of steeply sloped side streets and driveways. There were actually places I couldn’t take the car because the nose would hit the ground entering or leaving the driveway no matter how careful I tried to be.

What I'm saying is that hitting the ground with the nose is part of life with the GE Sport.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
OP, first off, don't stress it. Can happen to anyone. Most cars I see in store parking lots look like yours or worse. It's just good that you care.

If it were mine, I agree with the suggestion above to paint. I would clean it real well, de-grease the area, sand off any large chunks if needed, and then use factory touch up paint to cover the area some.

It will not by any means look perfect. The goal will just be to make the area not stand out quite as much. If it's at least back to being similar in color, few will ever notice it.

Edited to add...google automotive touch up paint and then pick whichever company looks best. You can get spray cans ready to use or bottles with a brush. If you go the spray route, fully mask off the area around the spot you're spraying. It's amazing how far dry spray can travel.

Last edited by GAFIT; 07-13-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
If this is true.

""I know all of the scratches are only visible if you go kneel on the ground and look directly under the car"

I think I would touch up paint it, but then ignore it. If it's non-visible, you only really need to be concerned about "protection" of the areas.

If it's visible? Then I'd probably go the whole body shop repair or replace route.