2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with Fit trying to auto lock itself.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
Trouble with Fit trying to auto lock itself. It's FIXED!!!

Got a Fit for our daughter, 2009 Fit Sport AT. The Fit keeps trying to auto lock itself, even when the engine is off. I disable the auto lock feature so that when she is driving the doors does not auto lock. With the auto lock feature disable, the lock does not try to auto lock, however, when she locks the car, you can hear all the actuator clicking as though they are trying to lock.

Just want to confirm if I need to replace the driver door actuator, or if there's a problem that can be fix such as replace a relay or switch in the actuator.

Last edited by upallnight; 08-07-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:30 PM
ecl
5 Year Member
I’ve had this issue for years! It comes and goes, but seems to happen more often in the warm weather on my car. I never looked into it, as it’s just been more of a nuisance than anything else. Would also be curious to hear what the situation is. My Fit is a 2010 sport.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
I wonder if it is a faulty relay?

Here's a troubleshooting guide, difficult as you need to remove the instrument cluster:
Power Door Lock Control Circuit Input Test

Old 08-03-2018, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alfa38
I wonder if it is a faulty relay?

Here's a troubleshooting guide, difficult as you need to remove the instrument cluster:
Power Door Lock Control Circuit Input Test
The driver side actuator probably has a relay which will tell the body control module if all the actuators should be locked. This youtube video mentions a relay for the driver actuator at 7:30 into the video.

If I lock all the doors manually except for the driver door, the actuators do not try to lock themselves, however, the minute I lock the driver door by pushing the lock knob at the door handle all the doors actuators starts clicking. If I hit the lock button on the driver side door to lock all the doors, the actuators will start clicking. If I use the key in the lock to lock the car I can hear all the door actuators clicking even when all the doors are locked.

Last edited by upallnight; 08-03-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by upallnight
If I lock all the doors manually except for the driver door, the actuators do not try to lock themselves, however, the minute I lock the driver door by pushing the lock knob at the door handle all the doors actuators starts clicking. If I hit the lock button on the driver side door to lock all the doors, the actuators will start clicking. If I use the key in the lock to lock the car I can hear all the door actuators clicking even when all the doors are locked.
I think this behavior is normal, no?
My Accord also does that!

Old 08-04-2018, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Frenzal
I think this behavior is normal, no?
My Accord also does that!
I don't think this behavior is normal. On our other cars with power door lock, once you lock the doors, the door actuators do not keep trying to lock the door. On the Fit if you use the driver door switch or the little knob in the handle to lock the door, all the doors lock actuator starts clicking and keeps on clicking, even though all the doors are locked. The Fit was set up to auto lock once the car reached a certain speed, but I have programmed that feature off so the doors do not auto lock themselves and the actuators are not clicking away as you drive.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not clear on what the "problem" is here?

I could be wrong, but if I remember right the "Auto Lock" while driving only had two options. One was for it to auto lock once reaching a minimum speed, the other was to auto lock once you shifted from Park to Drive.
But since I WANTED auto lock, maybe I just never looked close enough to see if you could turn the whole feature off.

This sounds weird:

"if you use the driver door switch or the little knob in the handle to lock the door, all the doors lock actuator starts clicking and keeps on clicking. "

The "keeps on" clicking part is what is strange.
This doesn't happen if you use the remote lock?
Does the clicking stop? And are the doors all indeed locked?

It would seem to me, if they are clicking BUT all ending up locked, then the actuators themselves aren't broken. It's some "communication" problem.
Not sure what would cause the locks to "lock" then keep trying to re-lock again.

Just for fun, I'd try setting your auto lock setting back to ON...and then see if that solves your "new" problem.

Having the vehicle self lock once moving, or before moving IMO is actually a good safety feature. And maybe in trying or turning it off, you've freaked out the system?
I would at least try the experiment of reversing the changes you made, and then seeing if the locks return to working "normal".

Old 08-05-2018, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I'm not clear on what the "problem" is here?

I could be wrong, but if I remember right the "Auto Lock" while driving only had two options. One was for it to auto lock once reaching a minimum speed, the other was to auto lock once you shifted from Park to Drive.
But since I WANTED auto lock, maybe I just never looked close enough to see if you could turn the whole feature off.

This sounds weird:

"if you use the driver door switch or the little knob in the handle to lock the door, all the doors lock actuator starts clicking and keeps on clicking. "

The "keeps on" clicking part is what is strange.
This doesn't happen if you use the remote lock?
Does the clicking stop? And are the doors all indeed locked?

It would seem to me, if they are clicking BUT all ending up locked, then the actuators themselves aren't broken. It's some "communication" problem.
Not sure what would cause the locks to "lock" then keep trying to re-lock again.

Just for fun, I'd try setting your auto lock setting back to ON...and then see if that solves your "new" problem.

Having the vehicle self lock once moving, or before moving IMO is actually a good safety feature. And maybe in trying or turning it off, you've freaked out the system?
I would at least try the experiment of reversing the changes you made, and then seeing if the locks return to working "normal".
I don't use the remote to lock the doors when I am in the car, but when I park the car and leave the car, I use the remote to lock all the doors in the car. If I stand by the car once all the doors are locked, I can hear the actuator on all the doors clicking. They will continue to click for about 2 minutes.

The door actuators were doing this when the car was programmed to auto lock. I turn off the auto lock feature because I didn't like the constant clicking of the doors actuators while I was driving. I can lock all the doors manually and the actuators will not click. It is only when I lock the driver door that the actuator start clicking

Last edited by upallnight; 08-05-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
They should all click once, but not keep on clicking indefinitely...

Old 08-05-2018, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
They should all click once, but not keep on clicking indefinitely...

I agree.
That's the ghost in the machine.

And I'll also concede I don't have an answer.
If I was pressed to make a guess, I'd go with relay. But it would only be a guess.

Good Luck. Let us know what you do discover, and how you reach resolution, would be helpful, in the future if other have these symptoms manifest.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:54 PM
US Honda Fit GE's have Automatic Door Locks? Here in South East Asia we stick a module in the OBD2 Port just to have this feature..

Old 08-06-2018, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by benchph
US Honda Fit GE's have Automatic Door Locks? Here in South East Asia we stick a module in the OBD2 Port just to have this feature..
Since you have power doors locks already, you should see if you can program them to auto lock. In the USA the door locks can be programmed to auto-lock once the Fit hit a certain speed or once the transmission is placed in Drive.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
Well I was finally able to fix it!!! There were a couple of Honda Fit at the Pick N pUll yard so I went to pulled the driver side door actuator from one. Replace the door actuator in my daughter's Honda Fit and now the door actuators aren't always clicking as she drive down the road.
I used a hand impact wrench to help loosen the phillip head screws at the yard and used an air hammer with a Eastwood Screw Buster attachment to remove the phillips head screws on my daughter Fit. Now the Fit can autolock and my daughter don't need to drive around with the driver door unlock in order to stop all the door actuators from clicking.

The symptom was that if I lock each door manually, they wouldn't click but the moment I lock the driver door manually, all the door actuators will start clicking. So I isolated the problem to the door actuator at the driver door and just waited until the local Pick N Pull had a 2009 Honda Fit in the yard. Door actuator was just $10.00.

Last edited by upallnight; 08-08-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:31 PM
Thank you so much for posting you issues and letting us know how you resolved it.
im gonna go the same route you did by replacing the drivers side actuator in hope it will resolve that annoying clicking.
so your daughters car is still good and that clicking has never came back, correct. Thanks

Old 04-19-2023, 06:02 PM
I finally fixed my door locks trying to lock and unlock while parked and while driving, it was indeed the driver door actuator that was at fault, while I was removing it it was still clicking away and as soon as I plugged the new actuator the clicking finally stopped so everything is all good, i want to thank everyone for their input, time and effort. This forum is amazing , God bless