2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Fit Sport low beams on both sides keep burning out

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 11:03 AM
2009 Fit Sport low beams on both sides keep burning out

So i’ve had my Fit for about 4 years now. the OEM bulbs worked fine, but I wanted a little change. Put in LEDS-the left one (low beam) burned out. figured it was the bulb, so replaced it-burned out again. but in halogens (aftermarket)-left burned out. then put in hids-the left burned out. finally, i’ve had some halogens in for about a month, and the right low beam this time has burned out. what seems to be the problem? the high beam and DRL work fine by the way. just the prob with the low beams. i checked the low beam fuses, those seem to be good. i can’t think of any other problems though... please excuse my faded hood-i’m going to repaint soon. lol.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Water or moisture would be my guess. How's the rubber seal on the back of the headlight? Are you using dielectric grease on the connections? The grease can help with the connection and keep them water tight.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Water or moisture would be my guess. How's the rubber seal on the back of the headlight? Are you using dielectric grease on the connections? The grease can help with the connection and keep them water tight.
well i don’t have condensation buildup in my lens, so i know that isn’t the issue. i also use the rubber seal. the connector could be greased a little more, but i think it will suffice. i don’t think water would cause only the low beam to fail though, because my high beam still work perfectly. as well as the DRL. Honda wants 160 to diagnose it.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Could it be from over use?

Do you use it instead of DRL while driving in the day?

I know my bulbs tend to burn out faster than what "normal" would be, whatever that is... but that is because I do deliveries in the evening so, my lights are on a lot.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Besides failure prone LEDs (happens to all of us), are you running ultra-bright halogen bulbs? Many versions get the extra lumens of output (at same volts / amps as OEM) by running a thinner / more delicate element. These will break easier from the higher heat levels in the element and/or from vibration. So, are the current halogens those extra ultra-white / hot versions?

Old 09-23-2018, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
Besides failure prone LEDs (happens to all of us), are you running ultra-bright halogen bulbs? Many versions get the extra lumens of output (at same volts / amps as OEM) by running a thinner / more delicate element. These will break easier from the higher heat levels in the element and/or from vibration. So, are the current halogens those extra ultra-white / hot versions?
i have used those type of halogens, but i’ve also used normal/regular output lights too. and i have no clue why the leds would burn out those are supposed to last long... anyways, would the entire bulb burn out if that was the case? my high beams work good..

Old 09-23-2018, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
Originally Posted by Goobers
Could it be from over use?

Do you use it instead of DRL while driving in the day?

I know my bulbs tend to burn out faster than what "normal" would be, whatever that is... but that is because I do deliveries in the evening so, my lights are on a lot.
nope. i never use my lights in the day. DRLs stay on when sun’s out

Old 09-28-2018, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
People misunderstand LED lifespan. The actual diode might last 80,000 hrs but the circuit board driving the thing gets hot as hell and fails if not up to the task.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
At least in our CIVIC (117K miles), the DRLs are the high beam bulbs (separate bulb from low beam bulb) run at a low voltage. The high beams are rarely used at night (very little night driving at all) but these high beam elements did fail after 7 yrs (standard variety bulbs). They looked melted like a wax candle. Strange looking. So hours of operation even at low voltage must wear them out.