2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone seem Racks go bad (steering)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 08:02 PM
Has anyone seem Racks go bad (steering)

Just curious???

Has anyone had to replace there Rack?

and what where the symptoms?

Old 12-30-2018, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member
Racks

Groaning noises for the rack, whining for the pump. i imagine any alignment shop could fill you in. Before considering the rack, if theres no groan or whine, i'd get the front end up on jackstands and shake the wheels left n right (one hand at 3 and the other at 9 o clock) keeping in mind that the wheels can turn left and right. Youll be looking for play. Looseness. Even a tiny bit. Left and right is tie rods, up and down is ball joints, loose in every direction is wheel bearing. Under normal circumstances all three of those should wear out before your rack and pinion does. You should also check out the rubber boots for the inner and outer tie rods and boots for the ball joints, looking for split rubber, any grease coating em.
while you're at it, run your hand along the tread of the tire, both left and right as you're facing the wheel. I'd recommend a distance of 1/3 of the circumference of the tire. Feel for low and high points, and also for edges that will be smooth to your hand rubbing one way and create drag going the other way.
If the tire tread isnt smooth in both directions, thats called tire cupping and is the result of misalignment (or failed struts.)
you may also notice the outside or inside of your tread to be more worn than the other. Again, alignment.

failed struts will give you a harsh ride and cause the car to easily bump steer, preventing it from holding a straight line when you take your hands off the steering wheel while driving. You may also notice failed struts by physically pushing down on each of the four corners of your car individually. If its recoil is bouncy, bad strut. They can also leak, but mine failed at 64k with no visible leaks. All four of em.

Man, i think i hit all the suspension bases.. i mean, theres also sway/stabilizer bar end links..control arm bushings.. if you see thrashed rubber anywhere down there, its a more likely cause than a failed rack, unless this car is weird or you got in an accident i guess.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Except there's no power steering pump: it's electrically assisted. I think they're pretty bullet proof although there's at least one thread here where someone had to have it replaced. It does a self test each time you start the car. There's an indicator light if it thinks there's a problem.

The suspension bushings are a source of noise. When mine was less than a year old I mentioned it to the dealer and they suggested changing them under warranty. I sprayed them (and the rubber spring footings) with
3M Silicone 3M Silicone
(wet formula) and continued to do so every time I rotate the tires. No more noise.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:11 PM
thanks! all good points to be considered....

the Dashboard..[light for steering system].... is it a steering wheel with an exclamation point????
(I may have seen a steering wheel with an exclamation point when I turn the key - through run position to start position)

No lights stay on...... after car is running

I have not physically gotten down and done any inspections on the front end......

Overall, It appears to be tight..... AND never indicated that there was play or noise... etc etc.......

Drove well at all speeds....... etc etc..

It is just since the other day... ( I put new tires on the car)
At speeds of seventy...... feels a little weird........(sorta like if you had a tire with low air pressure) [no TMPS or tire! lights are on]

Old 12-31-2018, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
Oki doki

In that case take it right back to the tire shop and have them check your pressure and balance. Safety first. I'd also like to know what tires you got put on and what ones you took off if you know. Stuff already mentioned aside, new tires can have thinner sidewalls creating a more squishy ride. You get 30 days to return any tires of reputable brand for ride quality, provided you havent used more than 1/32 of the total tread. Some makes allow for more time or tread use based on tire type, ect, but I wouldnt push my luck too far.

you can learn more than the guys in the tire shops know by checking out tirerack.com
​​​​​​they seriously cover everything.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Except there's no power steering pump: it's electrically assisted. ….
Thanks for answering the question I had before I asked it! I was checking fluids in our 2013. I couldn't find a power steering fluid reservoir and there was no mention of power steering fluid in the Owner's Manual, so I was rather puzzled.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Screw it

Accidentally put the first pic last. Beyond this i got nothin

Old 12-31-2018, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Aaand

It cut out the second pic explaining the indicator, so heres that

Old 01-02-2019, 09:57 PM
Yeah,,, Thanks!

I would have been out there looking too........

Thanks for the help

Old 04-19-2020, 11:00 PM
Did you figure out what was wrong?