2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Power steering screech and rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Power steering screech and rear end noise

My 2012 has 125,000 miles. I have 2 issues.

Power steering - when I turn the steering wheel to the extreme right or left while driving slow (like in a parking lot and backing out of a spot), the power steering screeches. The screeching stops once the steering wheel is straightened out. I have not seen the EPS dash indicator come on while driving (yet). Is my EPS system going out?

Rear end noise - my husband says it's a low roaring sound (almost like a bearing problem but not as loud). Mechanic says bearings, seals and bushings on the axle look great, however, the rear tires are 'cupping' (rippled) on the inside sidewalls. Mechanic says the rear axle cannot be aligned. He recommends 2 new tires on the back and take it to a specialty shop (he recommends) to have it aligned with lasers. Any idea what the problem might be?

Any suggestions or input? Thanks!

Old 01-09-2019, 11:12 AM
The noise in the rear is most likely from the cupping on the tires. I'm not aware of a way to align the rear suspension on the GE but worn rear shocks can also cause tire cupping.

On the steering...being that it is an electric steering rack, and assuming the noise is not from the tire actually hitting anything...it very well could be the rack making noise.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
FitG8Guy, if it's not the shocks, what could be wrong? Rear axle bent? And wouldn't I notice a bounce if the shocks are bad enough to affect the tires?

Regarding the steering, I'm pretty sure the tire isn't hitting anything. What has to be done for the rack? Do I need to have it serviced now or wait until something happens?

Both of these issues sound like they could be expensive.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by dosbirn
FitG8Guy, if it's not the shocks, what could be wrong? Rear axle bent? And wouldn't I notice a bounce if the shocks are bad enough to affect the tires?

Regarding the steering, I'm pretty sure the tire isn't hitting anything. What has to be done for the rack? Do I need to have it serviced now or wait until something happens?

Both of these issues sound like they could be expensive.
If one shock was worn out but the other shock isn't...you may not necessarily notice it. Take a look and see if one of the shocks has a lot of oil on it...if it does, start there. It is possible the rear axle could be tweaked a bit. If that is the case...I actually have a good rear axle lol.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=I actually have a good rear axle lol.[/QUOTE]

LOL...I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Thanks for all the info. I will pass this on to my husband and our mechanic.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:30 PM
Just as another test on the steering noise...I would try and rev up and down the engine several times while it's making the noise. Maybe you can put it in neutral while you're turning and then rev it up several times. This would be to confirm the noise does not increase and decrease with engine speed...and would eliminate any belt noise.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
According to my local shop and verified by yours truly, the rear doesnt get aligned. Though i'd hope your mechanic would notice, the rear shocks can lose their gas charge somehow. No visible leak. The fit is so stiff it doesnt really get bouncy with strut/shock failures. Youd have to put your hands on each corner of the outsive of the car (one at a time, obviously) and push down a few times, firmly. Then try to compare the rebound to another corner.
you can pick up rear shocks from rockauto, the recommended brand is the kyb's. Extreme g2 or whatever. A pair will set you back a little less than a hundred bucks if memory serves. Then just pay for installation.

aint used to electric racks, but with belt driven systems that whine is the pump's fault. So id say the electric motor is a safe bet but ill check the manual later.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:51 AM
Ours leaked oil at one point in time...I have not looked up the specs on this particular shock but it's most likely a gas/oil shock. Nitrogen only gas shocks are usually only on very high end performance vehicles. Nevertheless, it's a very easy job to replace them and a good easy job for anyone to start and learn on.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by dosbirn
LOL...I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Thanks for all the info. I will pass this on to my husband and our mechanic.
If in fact the axle is actually bent, let me know and it's something I could install.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:53 PM
Tires

Oddly worn rear tires will do this, my civic sounded like a bearing was shot but the bearings were fine.

After putting my winter tires on the noise was gone.

Rear shocks are soft. Tires were old and used on both axles at different times. A worn suspension link can cause the same problem. Never been under my fit yet so I don’t know what’s there that could be a problem.