2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrggh, A/C condenser needs replacing

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
I installed my mesh today. I used the black powder coated mesh with black zip ties and you don't even notice the mesh because its so dark.
I tried to take a pic but it was cloudy here today and the mesh was too dark to show up. I will try and take a picture later when its sunny out.
Pics would be awesome. Where did you purchase your black mesh at?

Old 04-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
Pics would be awesome. Where did you purchase your black mesh at?
I went out and took some quick pics in the garage for you. The flash helped make the grille more obvious. Its not noticeable when your out and about.
I bought it off ebay.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by cardinal
I'll give that a try. I did sand and clean it really well. But not with brake cleaner. Thanks.
The stuff used to prep powerboat aluminum outdrives for paint is zinc chromate. It may or may not be available now - I recall hearing something to the effect that the EPA wanted to retire it. For that matter, outdrive paint might be a good choice here for the final coat too - it's designed to hold up to being dragged through the water at speed. You generally won't want the antifouling paint used on boats in saltwater. It's designed to shed slowly so that barnacles can't stick to it.

Check for outdrive paint and the primer in a local boating supplies store or online from sources like West Marine, Overton's, and Boater's World. Here is a link to boat motor and outdrive paint, available in colors. Here is a link to zinc chromate primer.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by SteveInNC
The stuff used to prep powerboat aluminum outdrives for paint is zinc chromate. It may or may not be available now - I recall hearing something to the effect that the EPA wanted to retire it. For that matter, outdrive paint might be a good choice here for the final coat too - it's designed to hold up to being dragged through the water at speed. You generally won't want the antifouling paint used on boats in saltwater. It's designed to shed slowly so that barnacles can't stick to it.

Check for outdrive paint and the primer in a local boating supplies store or online from sources like West Marine, Overton's, and Boater's World. Here is a link to boat motor and outdrive paint, available in colors. Here is a link to zinc chromate primer.
Thanks. I hadn't given any thought to barnicales. I'll have to get underneath and take a look.
The zinc chromate primer sounds promising. I was at the marine store yesterday looking for "foam applicator pads" for wax and such. Can't find them anywhere in this area. Only microfiber. Maybe it's too early in the season. Ended up buying them from Ebay.

I'll check back there for the primer.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
Well I got'r'done today. I should have done it while the car was on the jack stands yesterday (for the oil change) but I had to go out for dinner.

I could NOT do it without removing the bumper. I have 5,300 miles on the 09 Fit and already the condensor didn't look good.

I bought a gutter guard from Home Depot for 2 bucks. It's good enough to get the job done (I don't need something more fancy since the Fit is just my daily driver).

Here are some pics.

Name:  IMG_0518.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  166.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0519.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  175.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0521.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  173.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0524.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  226.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0525.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  159.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0526.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  150.3 KB

Old 04-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Nicely done.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by Shora
I could NOT do it without removing the bumper. I have 5,300 miles on the 09 Fit and already the condensor didn't look good.
Well, you could have done it without removing the bumper. I too have the base model like you and did it with the bumper on. But I am sure I used some different techniques. Either way, the job is done and you condenser is saved. I noticed a pretty good size pit in it in one of those pics. I still can't believe how open Honda left this thing.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FireFox91
Well, you could have done it without removing the bumper. I too have the base model like you and did it with the bumper on. But I am sure I used some different techniques. Either way, the job is done and you condenser is saved. I noticed a pretty good size pit in it in one of those pics. I still can't believe how open Honda left this thing.
It was actually your post about being able to get the job done without removing the bumper that made me take the trip to Home Depot in the first place.

At first, I only removed the top radiator/ condensor cover. I guess that if I also removed the top grill (with the H logo), I would have been able to see more and reach in better, but I wanted to have this sucker on tight and it so much easier to do with the bumper off the car and resting on a towel on top of the grass.

I was not looking forward to removing the bumper at all, but I cannot imagine how "I" would have been able to make it tight, with all the right cuts in the right places without removing the bumper.

The good news is that removing the bumper is easy as removing the radiator cover. It took 3 minutes (and that's cause I went slow since I was afraid to damage it). However, on reinstall, I would recommend a second set of hands to hold the other side while you are aligning your side.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
is the lower grill removable?

Old 04-13-2009, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Install the mesh on Friday. Sunday found a cracked fog light lens on the driver side. Now I have to deal with the cracked lens....... But at least I know now the condenser is protected.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by peg_leg
is the lower grill removable?
yup. That's how I did mines. I just removed the lower grill. It's a bitch to get the bottom "clips" off, but it's almost identical to the top ones, so you can actually see the top ones as you are pushing the grill off. You have to push the grille back towards the condenser. It takes awhile, but it'll come off

Old 04-13-2009, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alpha Zero
yup. That's how I did mines. I just removed the lower grill. It's a bitch to get the bottom "clips" off, but it's almost identical to the top ones, so you can actually see the top ones as you are pushing the grill off. You have to push the grille back towards the condenser. It takes awhile, but it'll come off
so after you take off the clips it should snap out back towards the condenser? i tried that that other day but i thought i was going to break it thanks for the info

Old 04-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by peg_leg
so after you take off the clips it should snap out back towards the condenser? i tried that that other day but i thought i was going to break it thanks for the info
There are two plastic removable clips on the bottom like on the top grille that you have to pop off first.
Then there are tabs that you need to press on and push the grille back at the same time. I'll see if i can take some pics of it and post it up tonight.
There are tabs on the sides and 4-5 tabs on the bottom and 5 tabs on top.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alpha Zero
There are two plastic removable clips on the bottom like on the top grille that you have to pop off first.
Then there are tabs that you need to press on and push the grille back at the same time. I'll see if i can take some pics of it and post it up tonight.
There are tabs on the sides and 4-5 tabs on the bottom and 5 tabs on top.
thanks bro i appreciate it rep to ya.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:23 PM
@sportMTnavi, the billet looks like a really good fix. was it custom "fitted", or did you have some work to do. if its a snap-in/bolt in, then could you provide manufacturer info, and model name/number? I do a huge amount of driving on secondary roads, and am happy to be made aware of the compressor issue 10k into ownership. many thanks

Old 04-18-2009, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jrlnc
Here you go:

How did this grille install? Does it come with clips or fasteners? Is this the Mr Grille product with the metal supports between slats? BTW, very nice, though my first preference would be black. I was going to spend $40 for the black aluminum mesh delivered and insured. I think this is worth the $100 delivered, depending on how it installs. Thanks in advance for your response.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:27 PM
I went to look at mine.. WOW it looked worse than the leaking one.
I went straight to a hardware store for the metal guttering mesh.
Looked into the plastic stuff and it was very easy to tear by two fingers stick with metal.
My 09 has 6k on it. I've damaged a condensor in the past and it doesn't take much.
If you don't want to replace it protect it.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Exclamation Zip-ties are the key!

Originally Posted by badself
How did this grille install? Does it come with clips or fasteners? Is this the Mr Grille product with the metal supports between slats? BTW, very nice, though my first preference would be black. I was going to spend $40 for the black aluminum mesh delivered and insured. I think this is worth the $100 delivered, depending on how it installs. Thanks in advance for your response.
6 come with the grille.

But I went to Home Depot and bought a whole bag of them. I ended up putting 8 on it.

It fastens externally over the old 'grille'.

As far as looks go -- I just washed the car today and it looks great! I'm not going to change a thing.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
I'm thinking of this. I got one for the wife's Miata a few years ago. I measured it & the Fit grill opening & with some trimming (the Miata's grill opening & the Fit are now where near alike) I think it will fit ok. $32.95 @ Miatamania/Moss Motors.
Opinions?

By codger01

Old 04-18-2009, 09:50 PM
u can make that urself. that is how the one on my rsx was. but... on the fit, there's nothing to keep it on securely without at least zip ties.

Quick Reply: Arrggh, A/C condenser needs replacing