2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

DIY Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 07:54 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
Nice job & write up, but too complicated for me to try

I was just looking at features on the Honda website. In addition to the VSA & traction control, the Fit Sport model now comes with steering wheel audio controls.

Compare Vehicles - the Official Honda Web Site

sorry your wrong. controls only come on navi fits only.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
Since you said the civic wheel is identical, can't we just do a direct swap and plug in the wires?

Old 12-23-2010, 09:53 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by codenamezero
Since you said the civic wheel is identical, can't we just do a direct swap and plug in the wires?

no you can't. if you look carefully at my pics you will see the wires all
go to different slots.
And on another note. Paddles shifter people would be screwed also.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by niko3257
sorry your wrong. controls only come on navi fits only.
Have you actually seen a 2011 Sport model? Your statement is true for 2009 & 2010 models.

My link is direct to the Honda website with list of features. I wanted to compare my 2010 Sport to a 2011 Sport to see what is new. It seems reasonable that Honda would add something more to the Sport since they added Cruise to their Base model

Last edited by sooznd; 12-23-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
wish the GDs had steering wheel controls

Old 12-23-2010, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
Have you actually seen a 2011 Sport model? Your statement is true for 2009 & 2010 models.

My link is direct to the Honda website with list of features. I wanted to compare my 2010 Sport to a 2011 Sport to see what is new. It seems reasonable that Honda would add something more to the Sport since they added Cruise to their Base model
Partly my misreading, by thinking it was the 2011 that had steering wheel audio, BUT there is actually an error on the Honda website--I wanted to compare the features between the 2010 & 2011 Honda Sport-- Honda website lists the 2010 as having steering wheel audio controls--can we file a suit & demand they install these on our 2010 Sport models?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:37 PM
works w/ iPod?

I'm thinking of doing this mod, does anyone know how the controls work w/ the iPod function of the radio??

Old 12-31-2010, 10:40 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nerual13
I'm thinking of doing this mod, does anyone know how the controls work w/ the iPod function of the radio??

they work fine. ch scrolls songs and vol does volume.
but if you need to change playlist you need to do it
from the radio.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
I am going to take the plunge and do this mod but want to know if there are others on here that has done this successfully without any problems? Also would this also work for an aftermarket radio that has the same radio harness?

Old 03-03-2011, 04:46 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jumpjet
I am going to take the plunge and do this mod but want to know if there are others on here that has done this successfully without any problems? Also would this also work for an aftermarket radio that has the same radio harness?

yes there is a few others that did it before me with success also. just do
a search and you'll see.

as for the aftermarket radio question. it can be done but i think you need
a pac unit. not 100% sure of that. but if you do a search you'll find your
answer. i know people have done it with success also.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
Can anyone tell me if the steering wheel audio controls from a 2007 Honda Civic 4dr EX would work on ours? I've done some research but can't find a definite answer.

The steering wheel is a little different than what we have but audio controls looks like it should fit into our steering wheel. The part numbers are different but I think that is due to the wiring output from the entire assembly. So as long as the assembly would mount into our steering wheel, I should be fine since I'm going to be doing some wire cutting and splicing anyway.

Here is the diagram from the wheel that I purchased (I haven't received it yet).

The reason why I purchased this wheel because it was $50 cheaper than I could find from the other civics.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:05 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Can anyone tell me if the steering wheel audio controls from a 2007 Honda Civic 4dr EX would work on ours? I've done some research but can't find a definite answer.

The steering wheel is a little different than what we have but audio controls looks like it should fit into our steering wheel. The part numbers are different but I think that is due to the wiring output from the entire assembly. So as long as the assembly would mount into our steering wheel, I should be fine since I'm going to be doing some wire cutting and splicing anyway.

Here is the diagram from the wheel that I purchased (I haven't received it yet).

The reason why I purchased this wheel because it was $50 cheaper than I could find from the other civics.

i was looking at this at the time i was getting ready to do mine.
but i found a three spoke for $50.

I really don't think you will have any problems. it should screw right on.
you just have to pull the pins out of the old clip and put them into
yours.
Well your getting it soon. so keep us posted. also pull the old pins out
and leave some wire on them to reuse them on the back of the clock
spring.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 AM
So now the hardest part for most is going to be locating the radio side pigtails. I have no clue what size they are.
I just called a few junk yards. told them what i needed and
got it. one radio harness.
niko3257
so we have an unused plug on the back of our radio? This new harness just plugs straight in so no tapping into existing radio wires? Did you have junkyard search for Civic same year as your steering wheel?

_

Old 03-10-2011, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
I received my steering wheel from a 2007 Honda Civic EX 4dr and was disappointed to find out that it looks like it will not work. I didn't take apart my steering wheel to try to mount it but I noticed that the mounting holes look like it does not exactly line up and the wires come out from the side on this one. It was worth a try but I guess I will have to find a 3 spoke wheel.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:38 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
I received my steering wheel from a 2007 Honda Civic EX 4dr and was disappointed to find out that it looks like it will not work. I didn't take apart my steering wheel to try to mount it but I noticed that the mounting holes look like it does not exactly line up and the wires come out from the side on this one. It was worth a try but I guess I will have to find a 3 spoke wheel.

you wont know till you try to mount it. they look close to me and worth
a try to see if it fits.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:42 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
niko3257
so we have an unused plug on the back of our radio? This new harness just plugs straight in so no tapping into existing radio wires? Did you have junkyard search for Civic same year as your steering wheel?

_

just follow my DIY and you should be fine. everything you need is in the
used steering wheel except the radio side pins.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 PM
just follow my DIY and you should be fine. everything you need is in the
used steering wheel except the radio side pins.
I did read your DIY (very well done BTW) and I understand about the radio side pins to the clockspring connector. I just didn't exactly follow how you connected to the radio itself. You only briefly mentioned having to get a new harness from the junkyard. Does this new harness have a connector that plugs directly into back of radio? Or do you need to tap into existing wires coming out of radio?

_

Old 03-11-2011, 05:21 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
I did read your DIY (very well done BTW) and I understand about the radio side pins to the clockspring connector. I just didn't exactly follow how you connected to the radio itself. You only briefly mentioned having to get a new harness from the junkyard. Does this new harness have a connector that plugs directly into back of radio? Or do you need to tap into existing wires coming out of radio?

_

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/940911-post8.html

Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 PM
you wont know till you try to mount it. they look close to me and worth
a try to see if it fits.
+1
Definitely try it. If this works it will be great as only a $50 part from Honda (36770-SNA-A12). Saves $20 from the 3 spoke Civic wheel switches which are $70 (36770-SVA-A12)

Everybody says Honda is $120 for the switches but that is only the price for Fit w/Navigation switches. Non navigation switches are much less.

_

Old 03-11-2011, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
+1
Definitely try it. If this works it will be great as only a $50 part from Honda (36770-SNA-A12). Saves $20 from the 3 spoke Civic wheel switches which are $70 (36770-SVA-A12)

Everybody says Honda is $120 for the switches but that is only the price for Fit w/Navigation switches. Non navigation switches are much less.

_
I went out to a local junk yard and purchased a 3 spoke wheel. I went ahead and did the installation and confirmed that the one from the two spoke wheel does not work. The mounting holes does not line up correctly. You would not be able to simply plug into the wheel without some modifications. So I went on and installed the other one and it went well. I just have not hooked it up the radio side since I don't have any pins for the radio harness yet. I'll have to keep searching for that.

Quick Reply: DIY Steering Wheel Audio Controls